The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 31, 2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Drae

I hope this place is not 'murican-only...

As in topic. Here over in Poland our gun laws are a liiittle different (for example allowing full auto guns under some circumstances, not having these super-specific 'short barreled rifle' or 'any other weapon' classifications and the like, the list is long). I hope nobody will jump at me when i mention that or speak about stuff that is... 'illegal' is the simplest term... in some places in 'murica, or screw up the terminology a little?
Old January 31, 2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I think that if you make it clear that you are talking about things that are legal in Poland, the only thing Americans will feel is envy.
Old January 31, 2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Sevens

Twice in your (first ever) post you have used the slang " 'murica ", I'd say that'd be less likely to be received well than any discussion regarding oddities of American gun laws and how they might differ from one of any of a slew of other nations.
Old January 31, 2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

Its AMERICA!

NOT murica..................
Old January 31, 2018, 07:57 PM   #5
SamNavy

Come on guys, like you've never told a Polish joke before? Pot, kettle?
In any case, I wonder where he gets it from...

Old January 31, 2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Sharkbite

I never make fun of the Polish. The Belgians however.... lol
Old January 31, 2018, 08:27 PM   #7
WarPig1976

If you don't mind sometimes people post jokes that start with "A polish guy, A Rabbi and a Gorilla walk into a bar" you should be good.

FYI, Murica is funny when an American uses the word,,,,sometimes. When you use the word it's offensive. Which makes me want to call my Congressmen and demand we bomb Poland back to the stone ages. I hope you don't find that offensive.
Old January 31, 2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Sevens

Not once in my life have I ever told a "Polish" joke.

Opinions vary, but this slang " 'Murica " is one of the dumbest recent trends I have witnessed.
Old January 31, 2018, 08:59 PM   #9
Targa

I have never even heard the term before....huh, ok.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:06 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Well, the jokes about Polacks hurting themselves is true. I know from a life's worth of experience.

But yeah, America because not everybody in this country sounds like they're from Texas.

Funny, I was looking up gun laws in Europe recently and Poland stuck out because they have relatively liberal laws regarding firearms, but a very, very small percent of the population owns them and antique black powder guns are very popular.

I would think a people that had been occupied for 50 years would not have such stringent regulations with firearms be more receptive to gun ownership, like the Czech's are.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:11 PM   #11
CalmerThanYou

One of those recent terms that is supposed to be funny, but is really just lame.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:32 PM   #12
HiBC

As an American,I respect and appreciate the Polish People,and Poland.
And no,I do not have any Polish ancestry.
It has to do with history.
And it has to do with the messages I have heard from Polish people who have left a Poland under oppression to become Americans.....The way they love this country,and warn us to take care of what we have.

On "Murica".....If we(USA) can forgive ourselves for the messages we send to the world on "YouTube" then perhaps we should be a bit patient with folks around the world who have looked at us with interest and reached out a peaceful hand.
I did not pick up any intent to be disrespectful in the OP.
In fact,he was asking "What is OK? "

To be fair,the folks who responded to Drae that the term "Murica" might not be a good choice were giving an honest answer to "What is OK"...or not.

I suggest "USA"

Simply to avoid confusion,regarding laws,etc,it would be best to establish the context "I'm in Poland".
Welcome! Drae.

And TruthTeller:
Quote:
sounds like they're from Texas.
I hope you were smiling when you said that.

Last edited by HiBC; January 31, 2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:52 PM   #13
Theohazard

Welcome to TFL, Drae! I hope to see you post often, it’s nice to get perspectives on guns from people outside the US.

And I’m not even remotely offended by your use of ”’Merica”. We Americans make enough jokes about other countries, we should be able to take it if we’re willing to dish it out. Besides, if it’s good enough for my Marine Corps, it should be good enough for everyone!

Old January 31, 2018, 10:01 PM   #14
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

But yeah, America because not everybody in this country sounds like they're from Texas.

I was OK with Murica..............but this,Don't Mess with Texas Podnah
Old January 31, 2018, 10:16 PM   #15
rickyrick

Murica is funny at times but it is used sometimes recently to make patriotism and love of ones own country seem outdated, backwards and somehow unacceptable.
I am now jealous of Poland and it’s careless gun laws... lol

As far as I know there are several members here from other countries that regularly contribute.

The forum is generally civil... unless someone likes Mini14s
Old January 31, 2018, 11:32 PM   #16
kenny53

Drea
Welcome to the forum. Please post often I would love to hear about guns in Poland. Consider me your buddy living in America...
Old January 31, 2018, 11:47 PM   #17
Chainsaw.

Make all the dang jokes you want! We've earned em. Now if someone gets serious with the insults, they better bring a rain coat.
Any yes there are a few great folks the world over who attend T.F.L.
So, Hello! And Welcome! What should we discuss first? Perhaps I could tempt you to learn to reload, and you shall for evermore have no free time left
That, was a joke....sort of...
Old February 1, 2018, 12:18 AM   #18
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Murica is funny at times but it is used sometimes recently to make patriotism and love of ones own country seem outdated, backwards and somehow unacceptable.
I am now jealous of Poland and it’s careless gun laws... lol

As far as I know there are several members here from other countries that regularly contribute.

The forum is generally civil... unless someone likes Mini14s
I like Mini-14's, I just don't like Mini's half as well as AR-15's, and I like AR-15's less than half as well as I like AK's, which is half of what they well deserve.

As for Polish gun laws, according to the Wikipedia, there's a process by which in order to get a license you have to go through a background check, psychological test, pass an exam from a shooting association or the local police if it's for self defense reasons.

Apparently the collecting license is shall issue and the one where you can own the most guns and full auto ones and shoot them at ranges. The self defense license is the toughest one to get and is only may issue.

So, I guess if one lives in Poland, they should get the collectors license and carry a Remington New Model Police in .36 caliber, a spare cylinder, A .54 caliber Great Gun derringer, and an NAA Companion black powder revolver for backup, and a Polish army knife that includes a Neosporin dispenser for the lacerations they'll inevitably receive from using it.

Last edited by TruthTellers; February 1, 2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old February 1, 2018, 12:40 AM   #19
In The Ten Ring

Can we get off the "'Merica' joke hurts my feelings" and get back to the member from Poland?

*I don't particularly like the slang "Merica" but oh well, it's slang....a lot of it I don't like such a "brah" (used to be "bro") ...."clip" instead of "magazine."

*But really, my feelings aren't so "on alert" all the time, that's how I want to be anyway.

Drae,

Tell us more about Polish laws. I was under the impression all guns were banned in Poland.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; February 1, 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:26 AM   #20
TruthTellers

I thought the same, but when I looked it up along with other European nations, they're not.

France was the most surprising. I thought that they were pretty much restricted to single shots and bolt actions, but that's not the case. In France, they're allowed to have pretty much everything we can have, except magazine capacities cannot exceed 31 rounds for a rifle or 20 rounds for a handgun as long as they're a member of a hunting club or shooting range and have had shooting classes with an instructor. Then they get a 5 year license.

I don't know what the costs and fees are, but in France they can own AR's, AK's, Glocks. They allowed to have a max of 10 magazines and 1000 rds per gun. Carry permits for handguns are basically non-existent though, which is a common theme in Europe.

The most restrictive European nations are the UK, because they ban handguns and semi-automatics except .22 LR, and Romania.

But yeah, France of all nations is one of the best to own guns. I think it has something to do with the German occupation.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:44 AM   #21
johnwilliamson062

What happened to Firepower! I think that was the Pakistani with all the fun toys names. Maybe I am confusing people.
Some of the things you seem to think are illegal in the US are in fact legal, just restricted. In most states no more restricted than general firearms in many countries.

Th big difference I have found in the US in contrast to other places I have visited is the difference in rule of law. Quite a few place EVERYTHING was illegal for almost everyone, but anyone with money could get ANYTHING. Firearms or otherwise.
Old February 1, 2018, 02:15 AM   #22
blackwidowp61

And here I thought it was just a Polish form of Ebonics. Silly me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old February 1, 2018, 10:14 AM   #23
Drae

Thanks for the replies, people. I didn't mean the 'murica' thing offensively (though our stereotype of americans is 'cowboys' in most places), and i'm perfectly fine with the Polack jokes (as most of them perfectly show how dumb our people sometimes are).
Our gun laws are not careless. Just our people are less careless (about guns, not other things). Never heard of a school shooting in Poland for example.

@SamNavy and @HiBC, not 'he', i'm the rare thing known as a girl that likes guns.

As for our laws... well...
4. Weapon permission, given out for purposes mentioned in statute 2, allows ownership of following weapons and ammunition for them: 1) for personal defence: a)firearm: combat, gas, signaling type, in form of pistol or revolver in centerfire cartridge from 6 to 12 mm caliber, b)objects used for incapacitating people via medium voltage electricity with up to 10mA current, c) incapacitating gas launchers 2) for guard duty: a) weaponry mentioned in (1), b) signaling pistols, c) machine pistols in caliber from 6 to 12mm, d) repeating shotguns of caliber 12, e) automatic rifles of calibers from 5,45 to 7,62mm, 3) for hunting: weaponry allowed for hunting, mentioned in other statutes, 4) for sport purposes: firearms: a) rimfire with rifled barrels, caliber up to 6mm, b) centerfire with rifled barrels, caliber up to 12mm, c) smoothbore (no caliber mentioned), d) black powder guns (no caliber mentioned) 5) for training/schooling purposes: weaponry mentioned in (1) to (4), 6) for reconstruction purposes: weaponry modified for firing only blanks, 7) for collection/hobby purposes: weaponry mentioned in (1) to (6).

As you can see, it's quite a choice. I'm happy with my CZ75B (750 zlotys/just over 225 dollars), t'was an used one from forest guard nearby, gave it a pair of nice walnut grip scales and it's like new.
Old February 1, 2018, 11:57 AM   #24
K_Mac

Drae as already mentioned the use of "Murica" is most often by elite types to demean Americans who have values that are not popular: Patriotism, religion and advocacy of the right to keep and bear arms being high on their list, suggesting that we who support these things are rubes who are just not smart enough to understand the underlying and more important concerns. It's one of those words that may be funny, but probably not in my opinion.

Characterizing Americans as cowboys is similar to the use of Murica. It may be funny, but when used by European folks it is generally meant as an insult even when said with a smile in my experience.

I'm not offended by the above. Your careless statement about school shootings is another matter though. School shootings and violence in our country have little to with our gun laws. It has nothing to do with the superiority of Polish gun laws or the carelessness of the American people. If you want to discuss that, I suggest you find another place to do it.

If you're interested in talking about guns, you're in the right place. Welcome to TFL.
Old February 1, 2018, 12:35 PM   #25
Drae

Hey, i said it's a stereotype here not that i follow it. For me americans are normal people, maybe a bit overly patriotic, and living in the country where everything is bigger. Also thanks for the welcomes.
Closed Thread