The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
BlackLabsMatter

Colt 1860 frame is done for?

I have a Traditions Colt 1860 .36 sheriff's nickel with BRASS frame. Bought it used. At that time the barrel wedge fit was tight and required the use of a blade or screwdriver to pull.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it, all round ball with Hodgdon Pyrodex P.

At the end of today's shooting session, I noticed the barrel wedge was gradually backing out under recoil. Now the barrel wedge slips out with finger pressure. I also noticed that the barrel gap changed between chambers, back and forth.

After cleaning I noticed indentations on the frame, matching the cylinder cutouts around the nipples.

The manual(it came with box and manual) stated the recommended load with LRB is 16 to 25 gr of Pyrodex P. With 16 gr, the ramrod bottomed out and the teeth slip past its holes on the barrel, so that wasn't doable. I settled on 20 gr which was the load I exclusively shot.

I bought it cheap and didn't have high expectations for the lifespan of the brass frame. I planned on wearing it out and replacing it. Hoping it was later rather than sooner.

Is it still a shootable? What else should I look out for?

In really enjoying percussion revolver shooting and this is my first and only. Any recommendations for a decent inexpensive steel frame 36(not picky if Colt or Remington, 1851 or 1860) to replace it and from where? Thanks.

EDIT: Just realised a shim over the offending area might make for a good patch for now and even the recoil bearing across the frame. Good/bad idea?

Last edited by BlackLabsMatter; January 20, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old January 20, 2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Hawg

Some have shimmed them and say it works. Personally I wont go over 15 grains in a brass frame.
Old January 20, 2017, 05:50 PM   #3
AKexpat

I have no affiliation with any of these sellers. Just answering your request for steel frame revolver sources.

These are all Pietta 1851 Navy .36 pistols (my favorite) except for the first item.

Here is a rare find (a used cased Navy Arms Leech & Rigdon replica): it started at $199 (no reserve) and worth a look:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615003586

The next one is a squareback TG; DGW lists it as available, but the stock picture is of a date code [CM] or earlier with the "tail" grip profile, and I don't believe Pietta made any SB TG models after that date. Check before purchasing:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...618n53vm47rar4

The rest are round TG pistols:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/trad...octbarrel.aspx

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-...el-pietta.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot..._SEQ_567338580

Good luck!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; January 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old January 20, 2017, 05:59 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd solder a piece of metal into the arbor. Even better, put a bead of weld and then file it down. That would tighten it. Keep the loads light, say 15 gr.
Old January 20, 2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I'd solder a piece of metal into the arbor.
I don't see where he said the arbor was loose. The cylinder gap is coming from the battered recoil shield allowing the cylinder to move back further.
Old January 20, 2017, 06:13 PM   #6
AKexpat

^^^^^ +1

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 20, 2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Lee44ShooterCnB

Gunbroker

Check out the seller.....F at top of list....for 2017
Old January 20, 2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Smokin'Joe

A shim can work:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...46#post6177346
Old January 20, 2017, 09:59 PM   #9
rodwhaincamo

Quite frankly, from reading several BP forums over the years, you'll likely have less work to do out of the box with a Colt model from Pietta and a Remington model from Uberti.

If historical isn't a requirement and find a Ruger Old Army you might be interested in one.
Old January 20, 2017, 10:33 PM   #10
foolzrushn

black labs

It may be too late to matter this time, but FYI in the future, I believe that some shooters use a filler such as Cream Of Wheat (COW) over the powder/wad and under the ball.

That would have allowed you to use the lighter load and might even have been more accurate. It should have kept the loading lever from bottoming out when seating the ball. That may be something you want to do if you shim the cylinder and continue shooting the brass frame '60.

certified 'soap welder'
Old January 21, 2017, 09:36 AM   #11
DD4lifeusmc

traditions

Traditions makes an ok revolver ( actually they don't make it just sell it)
but it is at the low end of the quality of parts scale.
Yes it can probably be salvaged but at what cost.
You can cut brass shim to place behind the cylinder and glue / solder in.
You can have arbor wire tigged to tighten up the slot.
Wedges don't have to be much more than finger tight when properly installed
none of mine are, but i did my own finishing fit to what I liked.
Also I only own steel based models these days.
And in most cases 15 to 18 gr would be just fine.
But you may want to consider using real bp if you can.
Old January 21, 2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Jimmya1742

I have the Dixie Gun Works .36 cal 1860 Sheriff's model and I really like it. Nice shooting gun for the price.
Old January 21, 2017, 01:43 PM   #13
BlackLabsMatter

Thanks for all the advice. I'll check out the online dealers posted.

The arbor is as solid as a rock. It's just that the frame is getting battered.

It doesn't really upset nor surprise me. Like I said, this was an opportunity buy at a gun dealer, to see if I liked percussion shooting(I do, a lot). I figured it was a matter of when the frame was gonna wear, not if. The filler is a good idea.

I'm thinking I'd be happiest to get a Remington-Beals when a good deal comes up. Though to be honest, I'm really getting used to the Colt pattern.

I'd love to get a Ruger Old Army but they're pricier than a Blackhawk. I'm a big fan of their double actions.

Never thought after years of shooting centerfire DA revolvers that percussion revolvers would appeal to me. There's something raw and intense about the smoke wagons. The incredibly inexpensive balls and powder has made it my plinking "round" of choice.

I'm not a reenactor nor a collector. It's the shooting and the experience of doing it the old way that keeps me interested.
Old January 21, 2017, 03:18 PM   #14
drobs

Is your gun a Pietta and does it have the water table /stepped cylinder like the 44 cal 1860's have?

Can you post a pic?
Old January 21, 2017, 05:06 PM   #15
BlackLabsMatter

The cylinder decreases in radius past the nipples. I still have the box which calls it an "1860". No matter. I don't think it's worth tracking down another frame.

I'm going to machine/shim the battered ring around the arbor and get a little more life out of it for now.

It IS an odd configuration. I looked to see if a config like this was still made and it doesn't look so. It would be a unique keeper of it wasn't a brasser.
Old January 22, 2017, 01:11 PM   #16
JACKlangrishe

post some pics! I'm curious
Old January 22, 2017, 02:09 PM   #17
rodwhaincamo

If you look around and get lucky you may stumble upon a ROA for under $400 with plenty to choose from under $600, though I've seen auction prices well over $1000.

I figure $500 is a fair price for one in good condition.