The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 9, 2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Randy1944

Pellet Pistol Gun for wife

My wife is interested in a pellet pistol so that she can keep squirrels away from bird feeders. Can someone suggest one that is easy to handle and not complex? She wants a pistol. She is not a shooter but hates squirrels! Thanks
Old March 9, 2021, 10:09 AM   #2
BillM

Does she want to harass them of kill them? At what range? Does she have a
cartridge pistol now that she is familiar with and she likes?
Old March 9, 2021, 10:18 AM   #3
gnystrom

Maybe a better choice would be a super soaker squirt gun or a squirrel proof feeder.
Old March 9, 2021, 10:21 AM   #4
Randy1944

Distance is about 15 - 20 feet. She is willing to do most anything to protect her bird feed. Not necessarily kill them, just scare them away. She is not a shooter but does not dislike guns. Just never needed one.

Interesting about the squirt gun. We had not thought of that. We have squirrel proof feeders, but it is false advertising at its finest.
Old March 9, 2021, 10:28 AM   #5
Skippy

An airgun that shoots plastic pellets could still injure or kill squirrels at that distance. My wife feels the same way about rabbits eating her garden plants and I popped a baby bunny to scare it out of a flower bed at about 5 yards and hit it in the eye. I had to put it out of is misery and told my wife I'd never do that again.

Old March 9, 2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

I think trapping them is the best solution. They are a pest for sure and will eat the wiring in your house put all kinds of soffit damage etc. They are smart, and never seen anything that will scare them off for good. And they are tough, typically they say Gray squirrell - 6 FPE head, 9 FPE vitals. I say nothing less than 9 fPE, And you have to be a good shot. Easy to wound one and then if you have neighbors the dang thing may run into the next yard to die. Now you have more possible trouble.
Not many Pistols out there that will kill them unless you spend some money. If you use a rifle spend a lot of time practicing. Very easy to miss and wounds.
I still remember one I shot and broke part of his spine. It was sickening to see the Poor guy trying to get away and dragging his limpness hind legs. Your wife might not like a sight like that. I do not and have been hunting all my life.
Old March 9, 2021, 10:42 AM   #7
pete2

Squirrels are tough critters. A Soft air gun that shoots plastic pellets won't kill them. My Crossman .22 cal. gas pistol(advertised 400fps) won't kill them unless you stick it in their ear. Careful you don't get charged with cruelty to animals.
Old March 9, 2021, 11:10 AM   #8
Randy1944

From the information here, I think maybe I will explore the super squirt gun. That sounds like the way to go. Any suggestions about those?
Old March 9, 2021, 11:20 AM   #9
BarryLee

A friend purchased a motion sensor activated sprinkler that would spray them with water.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 9, 2021, 12:23 PM   #10
Reloadron

Interesting about the squirt gun. We had not thought of that. We have squirrel proof feeders, but it is false advertising at its finest.

During my career there was a joke between my boss and I. He would tell me Ron make the design foolproof and I always replied, Mike, there is no fool proof because fools are ingenious people.

I am sure we have all watched squirrels make death defying leaps to bird feeders as well as defeat designs to keep them out of the feeders.

Anyway, less breaking a bank common names like Crossman and Benjamin come to mind. Given the situation a CO2 powered in 22 cal comes to mind. You don't need a $500 plus target gun when a $69 gun should do fine. In most cases a near miss will dissuade the wild beast. Not like you planned squirrel for dinner. Just don't shoot the feeder.

I also like a sensor as long as it detects a squirrel and not birds or can distinguish squirrel from birds driving a solenoid for a water spray.

Ron
Old March 9, 2021, 12:31 PM   #11
cslinger

If you are going to shoot them KILL THEM. A bad shot or underpowered gun will only wound them and cause unneeded suffering. Pest or not I don’t think an animal should suffer if it can at all be avoided.

That said I am in the trap / hose / squirt gun camp.
Old March 9, 2021, 01:30 PM   #12
ballardw

IIRC there have been at least two TV shows dedicated to squirrels getting into "squirrel proof" feeders.

Persistent little buggers.
Old March 9, 2021, 01:54 PM   #13
Pahoo

Save the pellets !!!

I finally settled on repelling or blocking them but it depends on your feeder design. My feeders are hanging from a double shepherds hook hanger, that in turn is sitting on top a pole. Squirrels can reach them but once they try to mount them, they just swing away. Then I installed a blocker on the pole that they can't get past. The only feed they get, is what is cast on the ground, by the birds. This set-up, works even when we are not there and save on pellets. Can you post a picture of your setup?

Before I came up with the blocker, I greased the pole and it did not last long. I wrapped fly paper around the pole and that worked great, until it got covered with hair, flies, wasps and other stuff. .......

My "Homemade" blocker, is simple, not pretty and works great ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 9, 2021, 08:51 PM   #14
Blindstitch

I got an Umarex Brodax revolving bb/pellet gun because I stumbled on it and several others at a severely reduced price. It killed a few squirrels at really close distances but was ineffective after 5 yards. I didn't try the other two I have because I had a Ruger Mark 4 right there loaded and was out in the country.

I almost wonder if one of those pump air pistols would be better.
Old March 9, 2021, 09:11 PM   #15
FunGramps

Get a break open, well made, high power pellet gun with a scope, and she can drop them dead. It's a rodent, just a bit cuter than a rat.
Old March 9, 2021, 09:42 PM   #16
littlebikerider

A Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol is a nice size and easy to use, not too expensive. You just have to remember that CO2 is highly temperature dependent. If the gun gets too cold or too hot, its performance will change considerably. if you can keep it in the 60-80 degree range, more or less, it should do ok. Remember airguns are all about precision shots, not power.
Old March 10, 2021, 03:18 AM   #17
Urbanrecon

If you feel you absolutely must kill the little fellers for seeking squirrel nirvana, at the minimum use a Crossman .22 pump pellet pistol (1322) with ten pumps. (Around 550 fps). Or just use the bird feeder as a squirrel feeder or as a "first come first served" maybe.
Old March 10, 2021, 07:51 AM   #18
Randy1944

All great information. I think we have settled on some type of water squirt gun. She feels better with not killing and also must consider neighbors, noise and stray pellets. Any suggestions on squirt guns? Many thanks
Old March 10, 2021, 11:27 AM   #19
cslinger

Quote:
Any suggestions on squirt guns?
Garden hose. I know that sounds sarcastic, and lord knows I loves me some sarcasm , but I am being serious. Put a nozzle on that is able pinpoint the stream down and make the little buggers “drink from the fire hose.”

Other than that do they still make super soakers?

Also another tack might be to put a couple owl statues/figures around. That might also keep the birds away but owls put the fear of avian God in most small rodents/critters and can act like a scarecrow.
Old March 10, 2021, 12:04 PM   #20
Pahoo

More than one way to skin this cat.

If you can still find the metal ones, these will work. After awhile they stop trying and just look up. trying to figure it out and settle for what's on the ground !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjhBKDzKcE

Be Safe !!!
Old March 10, 2021, 12:59 PM   #21
Henneman

This year I quit feeding black sunflower and replaced it entirely with safflower. Its about twice the price, but does not attract near the number of squirrels so it lasts longer and is more available to the birds as the squirrels are not monopolizing the feeder. I don't see any less birds, or fewer species. I only feed from November to May to keep the bears and coons at bay. I also have suet and thistle out too.

It may be fun and gratifying to harass the squirrels but I am doubtful of its ultimate efficacy. I had a friend who used to shoot them with .22 CB caps but the best he could do was just create a temporary void that just invited more to the feast.
Old March 10, 2021, 01:28 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

A water pistol would be best. Not very accurate or have much range. Mind you, tree rats aren't known for their memories. So getting squirted on Monday may not still be in Rocky's mind on Tuesday.
There's a thing called a 'Stream Machine' that says it'll do 70 feet. Supposedly sells for $12. https://www.streammachine.com/water-launchers
"...Garden hose..." That you probably have already. The holster for 'em is kind of awkward though. snicker.
Old March 10, 2021, 04:28 PM   #23
Ruger45LC

Crosman makes a pump .177 (1377) or .22 (1322) pellet pistol, it's fairly powerful and she wouldn't have to pump it much to scare them without injuring them too much.
Old March 10, 2021, 04:58 PM   #24
cslinger

Crosman makes a pump .177 (1377) or .22 (1322) pellet pistol, it's fairly powerful and she wouldn't have to pump it much to scare them without injuring them too much.

You realize at 2-3 pumps (minimum to reliable shoot a 1377/1322) you are shooting at around 370ish FPS.

Hitting a squirrel with a .22 would be like you getting hit with a softball or larger projectile moving at like 250 miles per hour. I don’t think minimum amount of injury is what you’d be thinking. .

All I am saying is a 1377 will injure them pretty badly but not kill them humanely. If your gonna shoot the little suckers use an air rifle, hit them in the right spot and anchor them.

I am kinda perversely wondering what a 250 mph softball would do to me. Definitely an ouchy and broken ribs for sure. It’s gonna leave a mark.
Old March 11, 2021, 12:49 AM   #25
dgludwig

I'd recommend a Beeman HW-70 in .177 cal. It's a spring-action (no pumping needed), accurate pistol with adjustable sights. Squirrel stew on the stove!