The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Ripcords

Keeping a semiauto in the truck year round

So I know that magazine springs don’t really suffer from memory (loss of spring tension) when left stored. I wonder, however, about keeping a small semi in a holster inside the center co sole of my truck year round. Summer doesn’t worry me - it’s winter up here in NH that is usually very cold for prolonged periods (sub-freezing temps for weeks on end and frequent single digit temps. How would storing a weapon through this type of weather affect the reliability of the firearm. I think next winter I’ll just try it, and take it out and shoot it several times over the winter, but I’d love to hear if anyone has any experience with this issue.

Edit: Added. I live in SW NH where I have no neighbors around. Burglary is virtually absent in my area and people who don’t live on my road just don’t come up unless they have business. I was a NYC LEO for 21 years and I still lock all my doors and Windows and vehicles. Most people don’t. I’m just not as worried about a break in as people think. That said, I have weapons in the house, what I’m looking for really is taking that truck gun with me when I drive and get out of the truck, and leave it in the truck when I get home. Locked up of course. I’m really out in the sticks, a mile up a dead end dirt road.

Last edited by Ripcords; March 21, 2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old March 20, 2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

there are 2 issues that come to mind for me. First rust, temperature swings coupled with humidity could result in condensation on the gun. Second lubrication choice. make sure it is rated for extreme temps.
Old March 20, 2021, 01:43 PM   #3
shurshot

I like gun grease instead of oil for semiautomatic actions, rails, etc., as the oil evaporates over time. I'm in Maine and have in the past kept a .45 auto (in a cabled lockbox) in my truck year round, with no Ill effects. Only thing I did was wipe it down 2x year with an oily rag as it gets quite humid up here in the summer, as you well know.
Cold weather is not an obstacle provided your lubricant is of the right viscosity so that it won't gum up in the cold.
Old March 20, 2021, 01:54 PM   #4
dyl

Aside from issues about storing a gun in a car (personally I would worry about break in or theft), I've dealt with condensation on a nice blued gun before. It had superficial rust. Had i checked it more often and left some oil on it, it would have been fine.

That being said, some gun manufacturers make their slides out of stainless steel rather than high carbon steel. I know S&W does (M&P slides say "stainless" even though they are blackened), and they nitride it in addition which adds wear and corrosion resistance. Glock slides are also nitrided too, don't know what the base metal is made of.

Some internal parts like springs might rust after a while. For Glocks, if the gun has been shot a few years, the nickel plating might flake off and the springs could rust. But you just buy a spring kit every 5,000 rounds and you're good.

Other manufacturers may also make their slides out of stainless.

Functionally, if your lubricant or grease doesn't bog things down, all these problems are cosmetic surface rust unless you let it go for..... a very long time. Years. In my car it would probably take at least a decade (probably several) before a spring actually rusted through and snapped on its own. I would guess that if you took it out and shot it every 3-4 months you'd catch any problems before they arose. Assuming you field stripped and looked around in there when you cleaned it afterwards.

Still though, I know you didn't ask about this, but consider carrying something small enough to be convenient for you and you could *always* have it with you. Except in the shower and your pajamas. I'm a fan of pocket carry although it has a slow draw if I would be caught completely off guard.

Last edited by dyl; March 20, 2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot a couple words
Old March 20, 2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Forte S+W

I strongly doubt it, but if you're worried about it then you could always choose some military firearm which has been subjected to extreme temperature changes in testing without any adverse effects like the H&K USP or something.
Old March 20, 2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Sevens

Gun on me always unless in the shower or asleep.

So... gun in the truck offers me nothing more than multiple liabilities.
Old March 20, 2021, 04:51 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Liability and practical issues aside, if you are storing /using a gun in extremely cold temps, if you don't have the right lube, you are way better off with NO lube.

In other words if you don't have arctic temp rated lube, remove all your regular lube so it doesn't turn to sludge that will gum up (and often stop) the action.

Do a few shooting tests but most guns will run just fine (for a small number of rounds, at least) without any lube at all.

If you're concerned about condensation forming rust (cause the gun will warm up when your in the truck with the heater on) clean all the oil off and out of the gun and with it clean and dry apply a good paste wax finish to the entire outside. Done right this will protect the gun from moisture causing rust.

be aware that fully chilled ammo will give lower velocity and energy that stuff at room temp. Despite all that the makers can do to limit the effect of cold on gunpowder, seriously cold temps DO retard chemical reactions. Its still going to fire, but with a little less "oomph".

Again, do some shooting tests with cold ammo, to be sure it will cycle the gun.

Hate to say it, but extreme cold is one situation where its easier to get dependable reliability from a revolver than it is from a semi auto.

Personally, I think the gun should be on you rather than stored in the truck, but that's your business. Do check your local laws about loaded firearms in motor vehicles. Check carefully. It might not be legal to have the gun loaded in the vehicle (unless on your person). Also be aware that in some places, the gun, empty in the console and a loaded mag in your pocket is a loaded gun in the vehicle under the law. Check your local (state, county etc.) laws CAREFULLY.
Old March 20, 2021, 08:01 PM   #8
ciwsguy

I’d be more concerned about the ammo than for the gun

Except for mid spec ammo, I would be more concerned about the ammo becoming compromised by year round exposure in a truck console. I used to keep my revolver in the truck year round, finally took it out and it fired OK, but ejection of spent cases became an issue - they would not eject. Moon clipped together, it was a 9mm revolver. Surprise, surprise, surprise as Gomer would say..
After that, I started removing my gun from said vehicle every day.
Plus there is serious risk of break-in burglary of your vehicle in which case you can kiss your gun goodbye. Up there in the northeast, it might even get you into legal trouble.
My daughter lost here P99 by leaving it in the car overnight only to find the car rummaged thru and gun missing. Cops found it about a month later when making a drug bust.
Two bits....
Old March 20, 2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Nanuk

I have lived in North Dakota for 25 years. For a LONG time I stored duty guns in a lockbox in my G-ride. I always used synthetic motor oil. It stays put and does not evaporate. I would not use grease, even synthetic grease gets stiff in the cold. Quality semi's are just as reliable as revolvers.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 20, 2021, 10:33 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Quality semi's are just as reliable as revolvers.
Mostly.

But there are certain situations where this isn't true.

Long term neglect without proper preparation for long term storage can be one.

As far as I could tell, my father didn't touch any of his guns during the last 10 years of his life, and neither did anyone else.

When I found his Colt Govt model .45 in his dresser drawer, I could tell by the heft it was loaded. Dropped the mag (which was loaded full with hardball). Racked the slide (chamber was empty) and when I released the slide it sloowwly crept forward, and stopped, about a half inch from fully closed.

The oil in the gun had turned to "glue' with age.

Also found a Savage 99 with the safety "glued" ON locking the action shut. Carefully worked on that one, until I could open it and found it unloaded.

His S&W M28, and a couple other revolvers, stored on a closet shelf were fully functional you couldn't tell they hadn't been put there yesterday.

SO, under some (rare) conditions, semis are not the same as revolvers.
Old March 21, 2021, 02:22 AM   #11
rc

I think leaving it in the car for thieves is a BAD IDEA. The only way you get around that is by putting a vault in the car that is fairly secure and a security system so it goes horn honk wacko if someone tries to break in.
Old March 21, 2021, 09:51 AM   #12
pete2

I've kept an LC9 in my trucks for years. So far it has worked every time. It's been totally reliable since day one. This being said, it's a semi auto so at some point there will be a malfunction, it's nature of the beast. I would not try this with a closely fitted 1911 gun unless I checked it frequently and relubed it. I've not tried it but I think the LC would run dry. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old March 21, 2021, 11:20 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Or you could just get a stainless revolver and no more concerns. That’s what I do. I’ve been carrying my Ruger Security Six in my car for over four years and no signs of rust, not sure about any other pistol brands. I do bring it in at night when I get home for security reasons.
Old March 21, 2021, 12:01 PM   #14
44caliberkid

Your slide lube is critical. I had Browning HP sitting in the car all day during the winter. I went to the range after work and noticed the slide was a little stiff when I locked it back. I inserted a mag and hit the slide release, and watched the slide slowly creep forward till it hit the magazine lips, then stop. I pushed the slide into battery and fired, slide stuck open, pushed it back closed. It took about 17 -18 rounds before whatever oil I had on the slide warmed up enough that the pistol would function. Just a guess it was Breakfree CLP, but not certain, could have been Ballistol too. But any weapon you plan on depending on in cold weather, you better do some sub-zero function testing of lubes.
Old March 21, 2021, 12:23 PM   #15
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I have lived in North Dakota for 25 years. For a LONG time I stored duty guns in a lockbox in my G-ride. I always used synthetic motor oil. It stays put and does not evaporate. I would not use grease, even synthetic grease gets stiff in the cold. Quality semi's are just as reliable as revolvers.
Yep, oil, not grease. Oil does NOT evaporate (as someone above claimed), but most do migrate over time.

Lucas Oil Extreme Duty is the lube to use in the Extreme cold. Nothing better. Converted a few Alaska State Troopers to it over the years and they are happy with it.
Old March 21, 2021, 01:25 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

My friend lives and teaches the native kids in Alaska. He carried a rifle when he walked to school everyday because there were Polar bears around.
One day, a old native saw him. He asked Johnny if he was any good with that thing. Johnny said yeah. The native said, see that over there, see if you can hit it.
Johnny took a shot, but his rifle was jammed.

It was the native's friendly way of showing Johnny that his lube would freeze in the Alazkan cold. He said that everyone use's whale oil to lube their rifles.
Old March 21, 2021, 01:44 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

Whatever is the lubrication/anti rust answer, you'll think you're brilliant until your car is broken into and your gun stolen and then you realize how stupid it is to keep a gun in a car.

Ask me how I know.
Old March 21, 2021, 04:25 PM   #18
Alan0354

About the gun, why should it be more vulnerable than all the mechanical parts in the car? There are a lot of moving parts in the car other than the engine that don't get the maintenance like oil change and they live in even more extreme environment than the glove compartment. Once a while, of cause you have to lube the gun of cause no matter what.

I don't know how the ammo holding up. But if you do any shooting, use up the rounds periodically.

I used to put my S&W model 36 in the trunk of the car locked up in the tool box that was bolted onto the car for years. I still have the 36 and it works fine.
Old March 21, 2021, 04:43 PM   #19
Nanuk

Quote:
The oil in the gun had turned to "glue' with age.
Which is why I specified synthetic oil. It does not evaporte and turn to varnish like 3 in 1 oil.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 21, 2021, 06:59 PM   #20
Alan0354

All my guns except the Glock 26 had not been touched since 1990, everyone function just fine except the Ruger Mark II which I had to replace the main spring housing and clean. All cycle just fine, nothing turns to glue.

Of cause, they are all kept in room temperature, no extreme temperature change.

Yes, one should clean and lube before using. But everything is good for me.
Old March 21, 2021, 10:25 PM   #21
rc

Alan, very few places in California get as cold as the midwest during winter. Around here 20s overnight would be a rare event. In the high sierra or extreme northern California.... maybe. In the southern desert, never In Texas they got down to below Zero in places this winter.
Old March 22, 2021, 09:49 AM   #22
pete2

Jet, I do have a 642 in the other car, it has also worked every time.........................
Old March 23, 2021, 06:33 AM   #23
rodfac

Keeping a gun in the car subjects it to some extreme temperature variations. Cold all night long, then the sun beats down on the roof/hood and you've got a gun that's sweating. Better have a good lube to prevent rust, and one that's good for all temps.

And it goes without saying that a vehicle is much more susceptible to break-ins than your house. It's happened here on our farm and all they got was the change in the center console. Better to keep them in the house. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 23, 2021, 12:33 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...sub-freezing temps for weeks..." That means no lube of any kind. It also might affect the ammo used. Both of which have been dealt with by assorted militaries and PD's for eons. No lube is a regular cold weather shooting thing. The ammo is mostly about the powder used. It's one place magnum primers can help. Assuming you're reloading, of course.
However, as mentioned, it's the liability and corrosion that'd matter. Leather holsters are really bad storage containers. Leather will attract and hold moisture.
You may want to look into NH's laws too. Also assuming they have such laws. Being ex-NYPD won't help in NH. Rule Number 3. Thou shalt CYA.
Old March 23, 2021, 01:15 PM   #25
GE-Minigun

Condensation is a non-issue…the temperature swing from cold to hot is the same for the gun as it will be for everything else in the car…how much condensation do you see in your car on a daily basis…NONE. Your issue is going to be lubrication as others have mentioned…I carried a Ruger Mini-14 (stainless) in a 4Runner for about 5 years until I got a government job and couldn’t have it on post. Carried 4 loaded magazines in the case, shot those every -8 months or so…gun always went bang…only wiped the gun down after each use and put it back in the back.

Tags
cold weather , magazine reliability , storage , truck gun