The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2021, 09:30 PM   #1
hub1home

AR-15 Pistols Recommendations

I am thinking about getting an AR pistol. Do any of you have recommendations for which one to buy and why and which ones to avoid.
Old March 9, 2021, 11:37 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

What caliber, what is the intended use?
Old March 10, 2021, 01:18 AM   #3
P Flados

With the crazy rules as they currently stand, most get a gun with a brace and use it to accomplish a function more like a SBR than a typical pistol.

Assuming you are going down the typical route, the first choice it to pick a caliber. I am also assuming you are not thinking pistol caliber stuff or you would have phrased your opening post differently.

With the short barrels typical for an AR pistol, the bigger the bore, the less you loose in terms of performance.

300 BO is a common choice and it gives a much better performance to blast ratio than the 223.

A 350 Legend will give more performance, but do you really want to go this big in a small platform gun.

The 45 cal choices are even more over the top for a pistol than the 350L.

The next question goes to cost and preference. Are you wanting a "name brand" gun, an assembled second tier brand gun or are you willing to assemble your own.
Old March 10, 2021, 02:36 AM   #4
Urbanrecon

The answer to the question as to whether or not one wants to go to something as large as 300 BO or 350L in an AR pistol platform is not only yes but hell yes!
Old March 11, 2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Nanuk

Why settle for less?

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...-pistol-brace/
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 11, 2021, 02:23 PM   #6
hub1home

"What caliber, what is the intended use?"

The caliber would be .556 and the intended use would be all around shooting. I am not trying to be a smart aleck with shooting for the answer but I hate that question. It is like asking intended use for an automobile.
Old March 11, 2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Death-Ninja

Here's my advice to you, if you're gonna buy such a firearm and its chambered in 5.56 mm, the rule is simple, nothing shorter than 10.5" in barrel length, period! If you are gonna go the true pistol caliber route(9mm, .45), then you can go with any barrel length you are happy with! The 5.56 mm AR pistols in barrel lengths under the 10.5" length are not fun to operate/shoot, and I assure you that if you go that route with a 9, 8, 7" barrel or even less that you will swiftly regret the impulse to have bought the thing! There are very good reasons why the shorter barreled AR pistols are so "ahh" inexpensive, and those of 10.5" length or greater, are so much more expensive, and everyone of those good reasons stem from muzzle blast, muzzle blast, muzzle blast... Good luck and do not get sucked into a sub 10.5" 5.56 mm upper.
Old March 11, 2021, 06:52 PM   #8
TunnelRat

I can tell you that on my 11.5” SBR the blast is noticeable, as is the noise. This is with me wearing hearing protection at an outdoor range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2021, 04:11 AM   #9
raimius

I'd go for a 11.5 or 12.5in barrel, if 5.56. 14.5 doesn't really get you a lot of advantage over a 16in. Going below 11.5 tends to lose a lot of velocity, although 10.5 is about the minimum professional users tend to go with.

Suppressors are also recommended, IMO.
Old March 12, 2021, 06:56 AM   #10
dontcatchmany

Extar 556. (no 223) 7.5 inch barrel plus flash suppressor.

I am old but can shoot it one handed.

New Frontier Armory is (to my knwledge) the only vendor).

It is loud and it does produce a large flash but it shoots very well.

Mine is 5ish years old and shipped to FFL and in my hands was a total of $485.00
Old March 12, 2021, 03:27 PM   #11
rep1954

“The caliber would be .556 and the intended use would be all around shooting. I am not trying to be a smart aleck with shooting for the answer but I hate that question. It is like asking intended use for an automobile.”

I guess it’s probably a good thing I didn’t suggest something like my dedicated 22lr home built.

2DB9B489-8C24-49C5-9CF0-BAD1105FCCA6.jpeg
Old March 12, 2021, 10:55 PM   #12
Worc

I would start with a budget. I look at it as building your own will usually cost a little more up front but, cheaper in the long run. Starting out with better components will raise the cost. If you don't want or won't ever do any upgrades. It'll be pretty close to buy vs building price wise in this current market.

I prefer an 11.5" barrel but, a 10.5" is fine too. I recommend a blast forwarding device on the muzzle with shorter barrels. They make a difference with the blast and sound but, are still louder than a longer barrel. It will add a little length overall. The plus side is you can go with a little longer forearm. The added real estate is nice for adding accessories or keeping your hand further away from the muzzle. I also like the look which is less important to me.

Here's an 11.5" with a cut down BFD.

10.5" with the same look and overall length as the 11.5"
Old March 12, 2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Worc

Double post

Last edited by Worc; March 12, 2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Double post
Old March 12, 2021, 11:07 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home

The caliber would be .556 and the intended use would be all around shooting. I am not trying to be a smart aleck with shooting for the answer but I hate that question. It is like asking intended use for an automobile.
With all due respect, the question is not only fair and valid, it's essential. Guns are for shooting like automobiles are for driving. If someone with five kids asked what kind of automobile to buy, would you suggest a Honda Fit? After all, automobiles are for driving, right?

What is "all around shooting"? Sure, guns are made for shooting, but shooting what? Plinking? Practical shooting competition? Three-gun competition? Varminting? Small game hunting? Big game hunting? Predator control? Self-defense?

Without knowing the intended use (or uses), it's really an exercise in futility trying to recommend a firearm. The odds are about 90:10 that anything anybody suggests will be wrong for what the questioner actually plans or hopes to do with the gun.
Jeepaholic
Old March 12, 2021, 11:15 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post

You would be surprised. IMHO most people haver very specific ideas in mind when building an ar pistol. Most seem to be primarily defensive pdw types.ideas vary from home, to vehicle, to EDC with a quick detach in a bag. Some want pistol calibers, others 223, others 300 so they can suppress it. I think you are the first person I have ever seen who said general shooting.

My best advice, get some sort of linear comp or blast forwarding device. It's gonna rattle your teeth.
Old March 13, 2021, 08:35 AM   #16
Willie Lowman

Don't listen to them. Put a dual port muzzle break on it. Your friends at the range will thank you!
Old March 13, 2021, 09:22 AM   #17
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
With all due respect, the question is not only fair and valid, it's essential. Guns are for shooting like automobiles are for driving. If someone with five kids asked what kind of automobile to buy, would you suggest a Honda Fit? After all, automobiles are for driving, right?

What is "all around shooting"? Sure, guns are made for shooting, but shooting what? Plinking? Practical shooting competition? Three-gun competition? Varminting? Small game hunting? Big game hunting? Predator control? Self-defense?

Without knowing the intended use (or uses), it's really an exercise in futility trying to recommend a firearm. The odds are about 90:10 that anything anybody suggests will be wrong for what the questioner actually plans or hopes to do with the gun.
Exactly.

And the response of the OP, with all due respect, will result in many excellent responses not being written.
Old March 13, 2021, 01:12 PM   #18
Desmosedici

My last range outing I was shooting next to a police officer, really nice guy and had a bag full of nice guns. We were all having great time until he pulled out his SBR in 5.56, and GOOD GOD the blast from that thing literally made me flinch like a puppy in a thunderstorm every time he fired it, which, thankfully, was only a few magazines.

Granted, we were indoors, but that was my first exposure to an AR pistol, and unless I get to shoot one outdoors, I hope it's my last, at least in that caliber. It's deafening.

I'd love to shoot one suppressed in 300 Blackout, though.
Old March 13, 2021, 01:45 PM   #19
Siggy-06

Go at least a 10.5 inch barrel, so you can get a proper length gas tube.(this is for 5.56) You can go to a 9 inch barrel with .300bo with solid reliability.
Old March 13, 2021, 01:58 PM   #20
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My last range outing I was shooting next to a police officer, really nice guy and had a bag full of nice guns. We were all having great time until he pulled out his SBR in 5.56, and GOOD GOD the blast from that thing literally made me flinch like a puppy in a thunderstorm every time he fired it, which, thankfully, was only a few magazines.

Granted, we were indoors, but that was my first exposure to an AR pistol, and unless I get to shoot one outdoors, I hope it's my last, at least in that caliber. It's deafening.

I'd love to shoot one suppressed in 300 Blackout, though.
I had one in 300 BO suppressed (sold it) and have a 10.5" .223 suppressed now. Shooting supersonics, the 300 BO recoiled a tad more, but the noise and concussion was the same.

.223 pistols/SBRs with short barrels are harsh without a suppressor, and they do wear out bolts faster, but I don't put a ton of rounds through mine either.
Old March 13, 2021, 02:06 PM   #21
Rob228

I've got an Armalite, I think it was called the M-15 10". Its not cheap, but it is one heck of a shooter.

I'd like to echo some previous comments: it is very, very loud.
Old March 13, 2021, 05:21 PM   #22
MarkCO

Quote:
I'd like to echo some previous comments: it is very, very loud.
That is kind of puny.
Old March 13, 2021, 06:15 PM   #23
Desmosedici

Pig hunting in Texas, where I live, 300 BO is the most common caliber I come across. I may get an upper in that caliber in due time for my AR.

I'd like a 10mm like you have, though, Mark! Magnificent weapon with King Kong ballistics.
Old March 13, 2021, 06:28 PM   #24
MarkCO

Quote:
I'd like a 10mm like you have, though, Mark! Magnificent weapon with King Kong ballistics.
I need about 2K more rounds through my 2nd, a prototype, before I call it good. Ran out of slow enough pistol powder.
Old March 13, 2021, 06:42 PM   #25
Desmosedici

Understand fully. I don't reload and despite having a buddy that owns a gun shop and being significant friends with someone who is a manager of a large national chain gun shop, I'm struggling to keep enough rounds on hand to feed the habit.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. My inactivity prior to the shortage is all my fault. Ugh.

Nevertheless, we live in hope.