The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 12, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
saltysteven

22s legal in my state?

hey guys i know they are but id like to know what the laws are as firing a 22 in my yard?
I live in CT
I have about 2 acres of land and i know some people in my area shoot but im not sure of how much land they have. How can i go about finding this information out?
thanks
Old November 12, 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Keltyke

Two acres isn't much to shoot a rifle on, unless you have some type of backstop: a wall, berm, or other bullet trap/stopper.

Even that little .22 can travel a long ways with enough power to injure or kill. Be careful and responsible.
Old November 12, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Casimer

+1 on contacting the Sheriff, and it would be a good idea to think of how you're going to answer any questions they may have.
Old November 12, 2008, 02:55 PM   #4
SPUSCG

my friends randfather fires .22 shotshells at squirells in his back yard noise doesnt really bother anyone...by the way hes well within city limits with tons of neighbors
Old November 12, 2008, 03:38 PM   #5
saltysteven

yes i will be contacting my state troopers since we dont even have a police station lol. anyway yea 22s can be dangerous like anything else. i have shoot in my yard before and yes into a hill of dirt. i figured that someone might know the exact laws for my state- or does it go town by town?
anyway i think i heard its 10 acres of land to shoot legally. - when i find out ill post it
Old November 12, 2008, 10:51 PM   #6
SteelJM1

If it's anything like mass, you have to be at least 500' away from the nearest house or dwelling to shoot. I dont think 2 acres is going to cover that. Best call your sherriff and find out.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
wpcexpert

Best Advice...

Skip the Local Sheriff
Skip the County Mounties
Skip the State Police

Make one call to the Distric Attorney's office and talk to them. They are the only ones that will know for sure. Tell them you are outside of city limits, if you are. And want to know if there are any distance from dwelling regs on shooting a firearm.

I called all the previous and they all gave me some BS answer and then said to call eachother. Just call the DA.

In most cases there are no regs on amount of acreage. It's distance from dwellings. Here, in AR, there's not even that. It only applies to hunting situations.

I only have 1.5 acres. I can shoot exactly 101 yds from fence to fence. I made a backstop and downrange is wooded and no houses for atleast 2 miles. Nearest house behind me from my bench, 30 yds. Yeah they love me. But have never had any complaints. I went to each of the 4 houses near me and told them what I was going to be doing. No problems.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2008, 11:17 PM   #8
King Ghidora

It's probably more about the setup of your 2 acres in the mind of most people. If you're shooting down in a creek bed with a substantial hill above it between you and any houses and people know that's where you're shooting then chances are you won't have a problem. I've seen gun ranges on half an acre that had a great berm to shoot into where no one complained at all and I've seen ranges out in a very rural area where the berm was slightly downhill from the benches where people let rounds get away from them and the neighbors complained loudly and rightly so. Anytime you let a bullet get away from you it's a very bad situation.

If you're lucky like me you won't have any complaints. Well I do have one occasionally like one guy complained about me shooting after dark but I have a well lit setup and I was sighting in a laser. I explained that to him and I never heard another complaint. I've sometimes scared my neighbors across the road just by surprising them but they always call me when they have a problem and they've asked me to help watch the neighborhood.

If you keep good relations with your neighbors and you do have a safe setup you shouldn't have a problem even if you don't quite measure up to the size requirements. I'd try to make sure you won't have a problem with neighbors before you start though.
Old November 14, 2008, 06:53 PM   #9
radom

Keep in mind that some countys do have the option of shooting exclusion zones around resididental areas so I would be checking with the county sherriff dept to be sure that there are no county ordances in your area.