The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 25, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
kristop64089

Why do they still make DA revolvers then?

After reading a few posts in here, I got to wondering, If there is so much legal hassle, why do they continue to produce "snubbie" DA revolvers?

I see the point of some, but when I purchase my revolver the DAO wasn't considered. it came down to the 637 or 638.

If the legalities are such that you would be penalized for having used one in a SD situation, Why don't they just stop making them?

I am in no way advocating a ban or the stopping of production, but some find it ludicrous to carry a DA revolver for SD. That being said look a the other guns in general that should now not be used for carry. Should we all just buy Glocks?

The people that brought this up speak from experience, so I am not flaming them, Just curious,. I'm sure we could argue all day why one is better than the other, which is not really the point of the thread. I'm just not seeing how a 2" DA revolver is worse than a beretta 92, 1911, or any other gun with a manual saftey,decocker or hammer, in a SD scenario
Old April 25, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Doug.38PR

because there is a market for them? Why? Because they are simple, easy to use, fewer things can go wrong with them than a semi automatic. They are easy to conceal yet still have a large enough caliber and strong enough punch that they can generally stop an attacker.

A baby glock is still bulkier and harder to conceal than a J from or D frame snubbie.

For a better answer to your question, go buy The Snubby by Ed Lovette. It's a short little paperbak book about the use of the Snub Nose revolver. It may even convert you to the snub nose. http://www.amazon.com/Snubby-Revolve...7523606&sr=1-1
Old April 25, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
kristop64089

I've got a 637 S&W and love it. What I am getting a t is there are posts in here saying it is foolish to own a SA/DA 2" revolver.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
buzz_knox

Quote:
What I am getting a t is there are posts in here saying it is foolish to own a SA/DA 2" revolver.
Do you have a link? Most of the time, when I see a reference to snub-nosed revolvers, the statements range from "they are a good to choice" to "everyone should own one" and on to "they sprang forth fully formed from the mind of Zeus." Rarely have I seen any rejection of them, except in the limited case of their not being the best suited weapon for beginners or the smaller statured due to the higher recoil load and the more difficult trigger.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:06 PM   #5
BikerRN

The J-Frame Snubbie is Smith & Wesson's biggest seller.

Why would they want to kill off the goose that laid the "Golden Egg"? Wheelguns still have their place. Off Duty I carry a Revolver that has been rendered DAO and has had the Hammer Spur removed.

My BUG is a Snubbie. The Snubbie is easier to draw from a pocket than an autoloader. It can also be fired repeatedly from the pocket of a jacket. That is something you won't be able to reliably do with a self loader. The Snubbie, or any DA Revolver is also easiest to hand to someone who does not know the manual of arms of that weapon. "Just point and pull Trigger."

Now we come to the biggest reason of all, for me. I LOVE WHEELGUNS!

Biker
Old April 25, 2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I think the supposed "legal hassles" being reported here are drastically overblown and based mostly on "gee, I THINK this sounds like a bad idea, therefore it MUST be! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Run away, run away!"

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:14 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Guess I've missed those posts.
The 2-inch snub revolvers are packable, reliable, concealable, accurate enough for their purposes, simple to learn and shoot, capable of pocket fire (as noted above), and offer less to grab onto if somebody on the other end tries to take one away from you.
There are no "legal hassles" in using one for defensive purposes that I'm aware of.
Some people actually still find a DA revolver to be quite viable as a defensive package. And, justifiably so.
Denis
Old April 25, 2007, 01:15 PM   #8
kristop64089

I don't want to start a flame war so, I won't link as of yet. I love my 2" with it's HAMMER. I don't see the downside to it, nor have I had any "draw" issues. I don't see how SA is an issue with it either.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Mark B

I think what you might be asking is more like;
"Why don't they make all revolvers DAO exclusively?"

I'd guess it has alot to do with the perception lots of people have that they can't shoot as acurrately DA as they can SA.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Doug.38PR

I have a 2 inch Colt Detective Special on my belt right now. It was the choice of plainclothesmen for over 50 years. I like it, (I prefer a 4 inch medium frame revolver) but carry the DS for ease sometimes.

A lot of people carry the snub nose because it works! Being able to do single action has it's uses. You might need to hit a precise spot (hostage situation)

Anyone who tells you a snub nose DA/SA is a bad idea is being silly.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:39 PM   #11
kristop64089

Quote:
That is correct(said it better than me)

I like DA/SA. I don't care for DAO near as much.

I understand being able to shoot thru the clothes with out "hammer block" with a DAO, but dosen't the DAO action compromise the "simplicity" of a revolver?

And to shed light on the "legal hassle" i spoke of

Quote:
and more important to me, is reduce the method of attack by opposing counsel. That attack can come from the County Attorney or a Plantiff's Lawyer.

Plus, if I have time to "cock" the Hammer in a defensive scenario it could be argued that I wasn't really in a "Fight or Flight" situation. It sounds stupid, I know, but lawyers have made and won cases on far less.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:18 PM   #12
PeteQuad

It's a good point about self defense. I can't see many legitimate reasons for using single action shooting in a self defense scenario.

However, who knows what could come up in a world of possibilities. If for some reason you needed the most accuracy possible, you might want single action shooting to be available. Besides, self defense against humans is only one of many reasons people have handguns. There are target shooters, collectors, hunters, snake guns, and many many other reasons to have firearms.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:20 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Misunderstood the original poster's question.
Disregard my previous post.
Denis
Old April 25, 2007, 02:21 PM   #14
PeteQuad

I should have added that I do plan to buy a self defense only type gun without a hammer, for the easier concealing mainly. The hammerless is actually an even simpler design; the "hammer" is actually still there, it's just covered, and they basically take out the mechanism that allows for SA (IANAGS - I am not a gun smith )
Old April 25, 2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Tom2

Someone might want to do something besides close defense DA firing with it once in awhile. Like test ammo accuracy, or be one of the showoffs that shoot groups with them at 100 yards for fun. Or you might even use it for small game if you have a sharp eye. Only drawback I can think of is if you snag the hammer on draws, which the bodyguard models or something with an add on hammer shroud should alleviate. As for self defense, the capability being a hindrence is a red herring.
Old April 25, 2007, 03:44 PM   #16
mrawesome22

Quote:
I think what you might be asking is more like;

I'd guess it has alot to do with the perception lots of people have that they can't shoot as acurrately DA as they can SA.
I hope they don't start making all revolvers DAO. That would suck hunting with a DAO revolver. And it's not a perception that I can shoot much more accurately in SA, it's a fact. I would say at least 95% of my revolver shooting is done in SA. But I don't use revolvers for self defense.
Old April 25, 2007, 03:50 PM   #17
scsov509

I personally don't think that the legal arguments of DAO vs. DA/SA should be all that huge of a consideration for the average citizen. The fact is that in a self-defense setting you're going to be second guessed and critized in every regard anyway. So, while the legal implications are worth considering, they should not be the driving factor in what you choose to carry for self-defense.

In this regard, one of the reasons for still producing a DA/SA revolver for self-defense is that some people cannot physically operate a DOA revolver. Some have a hard time with the reach on a DOA revolver due to smaller fingers, and others have such weak hand strength that they cannot pull the trigger in DA mode. So in these situations the SA shot is a better option for these individuals.
Old April 25, 2007, 04:07 PM   #18
Webleymkv

In response to the claims of legal hassle, I submit the following: show me some documented cases of someone being convicted of a crime and/or ruled against in civil court because he/she cocked the hammer on their revolver prior to firing it. Moreover, I want to see cases where the prosecutor/plaintiff's case was based on no other evidence other than the fact that the revolver was cocked (person was not a known troublemaker, distance of shooting was close enough to be credible, attacker was not shot in the back, etc.). It would seem to me that, in most cases, it would be rather hard to tell if the gun was cocked or not after the fact anyway.
Old April 25, 2007, 07:51 PM   #19
Mark B

Quote:
And it's not a perception that I can shoot much more accurately in SA, it's a fact. I would say at least 95% of my revolver shooting is done in SA. But I don't use revolvers for self defense.
Agreed, but the OP is talking 2" snubbies used for defense.
Old April 25, 2007, 08:02 PM   #20
UH1-D Rotorhead

I'm amazed at the lack of experience these days with DAO revolvers...there is no possible way that the legal ramifications in using a DAO revolver would be greater than a SA auto...to shoot a DAO, you are talking about a trigger weight of 5 lbs to 10+ lbs...if you shoot a DAO, it was because you had to...they do not AD themselves...you make a concerted effort to pull that heavy trigger, and hopefully, you made the right choice....where does all this stuff come from????

Last edited by UH1-D Rotorhead; April 25, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old April 25, 2007, 08:46 PM   #21
Ichiro

Lightweight DAO revolvers are the best option for a simple, packable and safe weapon that can save your hide. Just my perspective.

I see much less reason for small, lightweight revolvers that have an external hammer.
Old April 26, 2007, 01:42 AM   #22
ClassicSWC

When it comes to protecting my hide and my loved ones, I'll use whatever the "F" I want too. SA, DA, DAO, whatever, it's my choice, end of conversation.

If some jerk of a D.A. is going to hassle you over which type of firearm you used in a sd scenario, it doesn't matter WHICH type you used. He's going to find something to jerk you around with. Deal with him then, don't worry about it before.

Can the above scenario happen? Yep. A frigging meteor could crash thru my roof and kill me as I'm typing this too. Am I going to worry about it? Nope.

Bottom line, every type of handgun, in almost every caliber has been used by law enforcement. If it's good enough for them, why isn't it good enough for me? Is there life worth more than mine or a loved one? Cased closed, jury dismissed.