The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 4, 2006, 02:50 PM   #26
dead-eye-ked

Tracker .45

For the Trackers defense it seems only the .45s are having the trouble. See if they will swap a .357, or a .44 for it. I have really only heard 2 people really with the trouble, and they are both .45s, and both are lock up problems. I would see if after 2nd return, or by 3rd time you return at least. ( giving them every chance to FIX the problem. ) See if they will give you something else then. To bad they won't give you a loaner for ccw like loaner car when your is in the shop.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:03 PM   #27
clayking

Quote:
For the Trackers defense it seems only the .45s are having the trouble. See if they will swap a .357, or a .44 for it. I have really only heard 2 people really with the trouble, and they are both .45s, and both are lock up problems. I would see if after 2nd return, or by 3rd time you return at least. ( giving them every chance to FIX the problem. ) See if they will give you something else then. To bad they won't give you a loaner for ccw like loaner car when your is in the shop.
I'm not gun-short by any means so to be without this one is no big deal. There's plenty to shoot and ccw, I only bought this to add to my arsenal of weapons. And you are correct, if they don't get it right this time, I am more than willing to swap it for a .357 tracker. Then I'll go and buy the Smith .45acp if I still want a .45 revolver. Hey, that might work out even better. I could leave my Ruger Blackhawk in the 9mm mode, and use the tracker for my 38/357 gun. I basically just like to shoot different guns, and lots of times.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:01 PM   #28
Hotdog1911

Oh, but Taurus is better this year.

"It's you not the gun its you... Well I hear the new one....Lifetime this and Lifetime that....Well my brother carried one fur...."

Taurus got me, a friend, and my brother in law. In one sale. One of us read in one of the gun rags, circa 1986, that Taurus was named best revolver, best something, of the year. "Well maybe it's true lets order one each."

One each alright. All three failed. Three came in a single shipment. But each one was individully shipped back and forth many times. Is Fed Ex or UPS in on this Taurus sham too? The shipping people got alot of our money too before we would finnally accept that we made a bad choice. And all three of us have been hearing the same old song and dance."Thar better this year-en last time."
Old September 24, 2006, 04:57 AM   #29
Stargazer

I gave up on it. I was tired of being put in a dangerous situation with a cocked and loaded revolver that would not fire. Went back for credit and now I have a S&W 686 on the way to replace it. I am sure the Colt and S&W 45 ACP revolvers work just fine, but I think I will give .357 a go and see how I like it.

M70 Web Page
Old September 27, 2006, 10:53 PM   #30
Hotdog1911

Glad you see the light.

Taurus. Ha. What a joke. Yea, they spend alot of advertizing bucks to the gun rags. Big deal. Taurus still equals FUBAR, and American consumers still fall for the sham.

I said it befor, Colt and Smith had the bugs worked out of the .45acp revolver concept back in World War One. For 80 plus years Americans figured it out. And still Taurus can't equal early 1900 hundreds technology. Bums.

At a large gun show I recently saw a S&W .45acp revolver from the 1930s or 1940's. 5'' civilian version. The dealer wanted 7 or 8 hundred. I thought that was alittle steep. Later I thought about it. I know a G-Smith who has been fixing smiths longer than I've been alive. He could put this 70 year old gun back to its functional specs in no time.

In the worst case I'd have a grand into this gun that will reliably shoot thousands of standard hard ball. And after I'm done the gun would still be worth the orginal price.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:35 PM   #31
aremington1

Taurus Tracker 45 acp

I have two of these,4" and 6 1/2". The 6 1/2" is a dream to shoot.It likes every thing.Factory to +p handloads.Yes, it has tight chambers.That is why it shoots so accurate out to 100yds.I have not had the issue with s/a issues.If I can load the round in the chamber it will fire.
Now the 4" is a totally different story.Same s/a issues as most other owners have.I purchased 250ct. 45 rimmed cases.Just got back from the range.Fired 175 rounds through the little fire breather.Not a single issue with failure to fire in s/a mode
So, i tried some +p loads with the factory Steller moon clips.Had same issue of not wanting to cock s/a, and skipping cylinders.Forget the d/a mode.
Decided to fire the same ammo with out the moon clips.No problems,as far as I know if more than 5 well placed shots of +p 45 acp won't stop the fight.I should have time to reload .
Buy the way, both of these guns were purchased used. With brass and dies.
Hope this helps other owners of these wheel guns.
Old May 9, 2009, 05:01 PM   #32
Southern Shark

I apologize for ressurecting this necrotic post, however, it kept coming up on Google whenever I was searching for issues with my own Taurus .45 ACP Tracker. Well normally I would just let things go and wouldn't bring back a dead post. But I may have solved the issue and it seems like some people here could benefit from this information. Ok I did not solve the issue. I asked a question about the issue on another forum and a poster there suggested .45 Auto Rimmed. I didn't even realize they made such a round, but they do. It's a .45 Auto... but with a rim. Double Tap and Black Hills make the Ammo and Remington makes brass.

I've got some DT on order and hopefully this will resolve the problem.

FWIW I've never had a problem with mine except when using the moon clips. So hopefully this will restore my faith in the weapon. I really like how light weight it is and want to use it for CCW, but didn't like the moon clips. With a rimmed round though... it should be just like having a .44 special... only it's a .45.....
Old May 9, 2009, 05:18 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .45 Auto Rim was off the market for a good while but is back again. It has a very thick rim (special shell holder if you are reloading) that fills the gap normally occupied by the moon clip and the rim of the .45 ACP. Since it headspaces on the rim, there are no problems with cushioned firing or extraction.

I am willing to bet at least a coffee that I could have fixed that Taurus Tracker in a few minutes as I think I know the problem. It is incredible to me that Taurus can't/couldn't. As I have said repeatedly, their problem is quality control, not design. If you get a good one, it will be OK; if you get a lemon, bad luck. But Taurus seems to have more lemons than anyone else.

Jim
Old May 12, 2009, 11:30 AM   #34
thinkingman

Quote:
Some American revolver shooters just don't get it.

Taurus just isn't the answer. Right now...would you trade your in-transit Taurus, a 100, 200, no-300 bucks, your aggravation, and wasted ammo for a working, brand name, 45ACP revolver? If you think shipping is expensive now, wait until you have to re-ship the thing again.

If I'm not mistaken Colt and Smithenweesal had the 45acp revolver concept figured out in what was it...1917; circa First World War. Did I say WW-One.
I am watching this thread with some interest as I chose a Taurus Tracker Ti 45acp for my back country carry.
So far, just amazing accuracy and so light, I don't know it's there.
Functions the same as my SW's.
I do know the only competitor in the category is SW 325, and yeah for another $100 I'd trade, but the SW doesn't fit my hand as well and it alot bulkier for hiking.
It would cost me double what I have in my Taurus to get into the SW and the packaging isn't as good as what I have.
If SW make a K frame Ti or scandium 45acp revolver for $550, I'd buy one for sure, as long as it had at least a 4" barrel.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:06 AM   #35
dakota1911

My .45 ACP Tracker I bought in 2003 has been O.K., but I bought a Totally Titanium in .45 ACP in 2006 and it has issues with the trigger, even when dry firing when it was new. I lubricated it very well with break free and the problems went away in about 50 rounds.

I feel you do "get what you pay for" with these guns. I paid a little over $400 for the Tracker and about $450 for the Totally Titanium pistol. In 2005 I bought a S&W 325PD. A much nicer pistol, but a lot more $$$.