The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2021, 07:58 AM   #1
2wheelwander

Bren Ten - start praying for resurrection

Besides arguably being the best cop show of all time, its things like this that have made a difference. Besides Testa Rossa's predictably appreciating 200%, maybe young kids will want to learn how to drive stick again. And MAYBE, just MAYBE if we're lucky there will be honest renewed interest in the Bren Ten somebody will actually remake the thing. Or, they'll become even more unobtanium. Still, my Friday nights just became booked again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqPZRjBl0w
Old April 12, 2021, 11:58 AM   #2
RickB

A new Bren Ten repro "should" be out this year.
It's built by Chuck Warner, and called Combat Service Pistol, which is what the .45 ACP prototype Bren was called, before Cooper decided it should be a .40/Ten, instead.
Old April 12, 2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

If so, it'll be the third time someone's promised to bring it back. Vltor promised one in 2010, and it still hasn't materialized. A company called Elite Warrior Armament posted some prototype pictures around 2017, but nothing ever came to market.

Honestly, at this point, I'd just settle for someone making replacement magazines for the things.
Old April 12, 2021, 03:59 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Why did D&D have trouble with the magazines for their Bren Ten?
Old April 12, 2021, 04:16 PM   #5
lee n. field

"Meh"

They actually make Tanfoglio 10mm handguns. Any reason not to get one of them?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 12, 2021, 04:19 PM   #6
rock185

FWIW, I had a Bren Ten and didn't think it was the greatest. IMHO 10mm pistols that came after are better guns. If someone did reintroduce the Bren ten, I wouldn't be in the market.....ymmv

The original magazines were supposed to work reliably with both .45 and 10mm. Didn't work out so well. I toured the plant and worked SHOT with D&D one year, but can't remember the other details of the magazine issues now.....
Old April 12, 2021, 05:16 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Quote:
If so, it'll be the third time someone's promised to bring it back. Vltor promised one in 2010, and it still hasn't materialized. A company called Elite Warrior Armament posted some prototype pictures around 2017, but nothing ever came to market.
Voit (the basketball company) made a pass at it, too, before Vltor.
Elite Warrior Armament WAS Chuck Warner, now dba Combat Service Pistol. He got out 50 of a kinda sorta BHP and some 1911s, so he can do the work, but he isn't going to put a pistol in every pot, even those who can afford it.
Old April 12, 2021, 06:39 PM   #8
bac1023

Cool pistols. I've got a couple unfired in the box

Considering what they're selling for now, they will stay unfired.

Old April 12, 2021, 07:38 PM   #9
UncleEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Why did D&D have trouble with the magazines for their Bren Ten?
If I remember correctly, D&D was
out of money and needed the mags
bad. It might have been MecGar
but anyway D&D was told to pay
for the mags up front and it
couldn't.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:20 PM   #10
Road_Clam

Meh, Brens I don't collect gun safe flamingos, I buy shooters to shoot the snot out of 'em . 10mm is a unique cartridge IMO and pairs so nicely with my Kimber Target II long slide .
Old April 12, 2021, 08:31 PM   #11
Forte S+W

Unfortunately, the Bren Ten coming back into production is about as likely as the DeLorean DMC, another 80s icon. A return to production has been hyped up time and again with whoever acquires the rights, but so far it has never come to fruition, and I'm doubtful that it ever will.

At this point, anyone who wants a Bren Ten would be better served buying a Tanfoglio Witness 10mm, since that's the closest thing to a Bren Ten in production.

If by some chance the Bren Ten does at long last return, then I fear that history will repeat itself, with Bren Tens being in short supply, high demand, and quite possibly with issues due to rushed production.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:36 PM   #12
bac1023

Quote:
Meh, Brens I don't collect gun safe flamingos, I buy shooters to shoot the snot out of 'em . 10mm is a unique cartridge IMO and pairs so nicely with my Kimber Target II long slide .
Well considering I paid about a fifth of what they’re worth now, I’m very happy a collected a couple.

I have some 10mm shooters, but I don’t do Kimbers. Not exactly pistols I consider durable.

Last edited by bac1023; April 12, 2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:41 PM   #13
RickB

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Bren Ten coming back into production is about as likely as the DeLorean DMC, another 80s icon.
There's plans to resurrect that, too.
https://www.delorean.com/
Old April 12, 2021, 08:44 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Agreed on the Tanfoglio comment. Witness metal and poly at 400 and the nice Hunter, Elite, Pro, 50k other variants blah blah blah.

Actual guns that actually exist and actually have worked even with a soiled history on the square slide crack issue.
Old April 13, 2021, 03:06 PM   #15
SIGSHR

About the only way the Bren Ten-like the Auto Mag-will resurrect is if some "well established" company brings it back. IIRC Dornaus and Dixon had financing problems, I have read of Harry Sanford that he was a gifted designer but not that good a businessman.
Old April 13, 2021, 06:03 PM   #16
RickB

Auto Mag is currently in production. https://automag.com/
Old April 13, 2021, 06:41 PM   #17
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Cool pistols. I've got a couple unfired in the box
I'm officially envious, nice.
Old April 15, 2021, 05:19 AM   #18
Kevin Rohrer

I am awaiting its reappearance. Chuck told me that the pistol would be available to more than just those who pre-ordered them. I am skeptical.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 15, 2021, 07:48 AM   #19
bac1023

In the meantime, the Tanfoglio Defiant Stock Master is a nice option...

Old April 15, 2021, 08:22 AM   #20
wild cat mccane

Unlike CZ, Tanfoglio's bucket of variants actually look different.

Never heard of the Defiant. Thanks for the pics
Old April 16, 2021, 08:11 AM   #21
JustJake

Quote:
"Meh"
They actually make Tanfoglio 10mm handguns. Any reason not to get one of them?
Yep. Q.C. is spotty and inconsistent, and if you have any malf issues with the gun or the magazine, you have to deal with Tanfoglio's importer, EAA, and their "gunsmith," alleged anyway.
Old April 16, 2021, 08:18 AM   #22
JustJake

Quote:
FWIW, I had a Bren Ten and didn't think it was the greatest. IMHO 10mm pistols that came after are better guns. If someone did reintroduce the Bren ten, I wouldn't be in the market.....ymmv
The original magazines were supposed to work reliably with both .45 and 10mm. Didn't work out so well. I toured the plant and worked SHOT with D&D one year, but can't remember the other details of the magazine issues now.....
The most reliable all-steel 10mm pistols (with reliable magazines) that were built to handle a steady diet of real 10mm ammo, were S&W's 3rd Gen 10XX-series. I've owned four models and still have two.

Delta Elites and other 10mm 1911s can be set up to handle full-power 10mm loads IF they're properly sprung and tweaked with little durability "tricks" - like a fitted EGW firing pin stop and a properly tensioned mainspring.

Maybe some folks here weren't aware, but the CZ Custom Shop offers a 10mm 97B for $2500, in case you're looking to spend your Stimulus $$$ on something interesting. ... Not a real Bren Ten, but maybe sufficiently B.T.-ish, and no doubt it comes with a much higher level of Q.C. than Tanfoglio's 10mm Witnesses.

Here's the link: https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz...cu-custom.html

Last edited by JustJake; April 16, 2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old April 16, 2021, 11:52 AM   #23
bac1023

That isn’t CZ’s custom shop. CZ Custom and CZ are two different companies. They build nice guns. Some use CZ frames, but some don’t.

CZ does not offer a 10mm.

Just FYI
Old April 16, 2021, 12:59 PM   #24
JustJake

Quote:
That isn’t CZ’s custom shop. CZ Custom and CZ are two different companies. They build nice guns. Some use CZ frames, but some don’t.
CZ does not offer a 10mm.
Just FYI
Good point made ...
Quote:
Ghost Products Inc/CZ Custom
110 E SOUTHERN AVE
MESA, AZ 85210-8740

Tel : 480 969 1311
Fax : 480 969 9687
Retail Store/ Showroom Hours
10:00am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday
Old April 24, 2021, 02:04 AM   #25
Bart Noir

I'd just like to point out that it wasn't long ago that the Internet Wisdom seemed to be that Colt's would never be able to make new Pythons.

And yet they are, with reviews seeming to be favorable.

So don't give up all hope on the B-10 resurrection.

Bart Noir