The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 17, 2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Lohman446

Flashlights

My often used Streamlight "pen" light died and I am in the market for a good pocket flashlight. I intend to replace it with something a bit brighter and with an adjustable beam.

Right now I am looking at the Streamlight 88065 and Fenix FXPD35

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
Old February 17, 2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Pahoo

LED

LED, is the way to go. I imagine that the one you listed, is LED. LED is the future and an evolution in lighting, in general. There are too many benefits to LED, for me to mention, in this thread. …

Be Safe !!!
Old February 17, 2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Lohman446

Agree on LED - and unless I typed it wrong those are both LED lights. Though that should be a caveat - any suggestions should be LED.
Old February 17, 2020, 05:00 PM   #4
URIT

I looked at the Fenix but bought the Olight S2 after looking at numerous options. Here is an article that reviews both... https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-edc-flashlights/
Old February 18, 2020, 07:33 AM   #5
Lohman446

Quote:
I looked at the Fenix but bought the Olight S2 after looking at numerous options. Here is an article that reviews both... https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-edc-flashlights/
Thank you - I looked at the Olights and seem to have impulse ordered one. I'm a little worried about the charging system on it but will see how it works out
Old February 18, 2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Wishoot

Not sure which Streamlight you were using, but I have a few Streamlight Stylus Pro's LED (2XAAA) and they're fantastic small lights.

Personally, I prefer a tail-click with a single mode.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Lohman446

I had a Stylus Pro - it was a fine light, nothing wrong with it and there were several features I really appreciated.

However when running in the morning if my headlamp goes out (and it has before) I wanted something a bit more aggressive as far as light output. My flashlight is one of the few things I have carried while running.
Old February 18, 2020, 10:28 AM   #8
skywag

This is the best deal $1 each 9 LED. Includes the batteries!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...4aAgixEALw_wcB
Old February 18, 2020, 11:59 AM   #9
cslinger

If you want something really unobtrusive, easy to operate and puts out a fair amount of light at 250ish lumens, look at the Streamlight Microstream USB in Coyote. Coyote comes on high first, black comes on low first.

Basically a aaa sized rechargeable light that puts plenty of light out for most purposes. Good light for the money.

If you are set on very high lumen lights (600-1000) lumen lights you are going to be taking a size hit if you want the light to shed heat and run at full tilt for any length of time.

The Surefire EDCL1-T punches out a lot of light with decent throw in a small (runner friendly package)

The Streamlight 1L-1aa is a great option for the money as well and 300-350 lumens is a good amount of light.

Chris
Old February 18, 2020, 09:21 PM   #10
BourbonCowboy

Thank you - I looked at the Olights and seem to have impulse ordered one. I'm a little worried about the charging system on it but will see how it works out

You did good. I love em. In fact, I gave out a few as Christmas gifts, and every recipient is still raving about them.

The magnetic USB charger is the main selling point - which is why I have a couple of the flashlights and a couple rail-mount PL-Mini 2 lights on my HKs.
Old February 20, 2020, 11:12 PM   #11
pcxxxx42

I'v a Fenix PD25 which I carry every day, left pocket, jeans.

It has a USB rechargeable battery.

It rocks.

I live in a very large house where the architects were total tards?

I can't see anything anywhere. Thus the constant companion.

It's great. I usually use it at the second brightest setting (there are four.)

Have to charge it about every ten days. It takes around an hour from flat to full up with a Samsung high current charger (from my phone and tablet.)

One of my friends who worked at Intel had one from the tool room.

They rock. That's why I bit the weenie and spent perhaps <=$70 on a freaking flashlight?

You know how many other flashlights i have that are complete cr*p?

This one rocks.

Don't leave home w/o it!
Old February 21, 2020, 12:30 AM   #12
rc

Go and look at the Bushnell series flashlights at Walmart. They have a 2 CR123 model that is actually pretty decent for under $50 made of aluminum and not plastic. They have a lever you can use to switch them on and off quickly or you can use the push button to go from low, to high or strobe.
Old February 21, 2020, 05:52 PM   #13
2damnold4this

I use a Streamlight protac with rechargable 18650 batteries. It has taken a lot of abuse and is still going strong.
Old February 21, 2020, 08:13 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I have lights from Fenix, Streamlight, Olight and Surefire. I still believe that Surefire are the best, but for the money, you can't go wrong with the Fenix or Streamlight.

I also highly suggest Olight. Love their rechargable models.