The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2012, 05:18 PM   #26
9mm1033

Quote:
Good grief, not everybody who gets an AR has to rig up like they'll wake up in the sand box tomorrow morning.
Now that's funny. I think it's a testosterone thing. KISS works great.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:43 PM   #27
jackpine

If will not spend $40 on a sling I guess you should go down to salvation army and get a worn out pants belt and pull out the duct tape. If thats too much I guess you could "borrow" some clothes line from some ones back yard.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:57 PM   #28
scsov509

Quote:
Good grief, not everybody who gets an AR has to rig up like they'll wake up in the sand box tomorrow morning.
Quote:
Now that's funny. I think it's a testosterone thing. KISS works great.
Just so I'm clear: To recommend a sling other than the aforementioned GI sling must mean that I'm either A) Filled with excess testosterone, or B) Gearing up to go battle Al-Qaeda? Sorry my friends, but I don't see the malfeasance in suggesting that the OP consider the $25 VTAC sling or even a $50 MS3 sling as an accessory to his $700+ rifle.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:57 PM   #29
10-96

Now I never said there was anything wrong with all the latest high-dollar/high-tech slings. I just simply get amazed at all the comments on all the threads where a guy uses key words like "simple", "inexpensive", "old school", "plinking", "farm/ranch/truck gun", etc- and the OP gets inundated with so many high dollar options meant for purposes he/she has no interest in. Myself and Skadoosh didn't miss this part of the OP's OP:
Quote:
My primary use will be A) Plinking, B) Hunting for food if needed, and whacking the occasional coyote, C) Community defense (if ever needed).

I has the 1" stock sling loops.

What's my best 'low dollar' solution for a sling?
Now as a shooting enthusiast, I really am grateful that new shooters are introduced to new options, ideas, and equipment. Were it not for innovation- we'd still be in the dark ages. And I don't see where I made a dig against you or anyone else on a personal level, it's just a matter of fact that when I read the OP,this is what came to my mind: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/slinblaccanr.html
Is that too old-fashioned and out of line?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:54 AM   #30
scsov509

Quote:
Myself and Skadoosh didn't miss this part of the OP's OP:
Nor did I, hence the suggestion of the VTAC: A simple two-point sling requiring no special adapters or end plate and costing about $20-25, which I would consider to be "low dollar". But if a GI sling suits your needs then have at it.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Skadoosh

scsov509 wrote:
Quote:
but I don't see the malfeasance in suggesting that the OP consider the $25 VTAC sling
Where can I find a VTAC sling that costs $25??

And while you're at it, please explain what the VTAC has that the USGI sling cant do just as well?

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart...=detail&pid=10
Old December 4, 2012, 11:04 AM   #32
smokiniron

OP Here.....

I really appreciate the recommendations - and the debate. I'm NOT technologically challenged. However, for this gun, my first and likely cheapest AR15, I'm trying to stay simple, including the OEM Magpul flip-up and the A2 post front.

Frankly, my eyes, with recent cataract surgery, do not respond to open sights well. I'm a southpaw, and my left eye was corrected for distance, so the sights are a blur. A scope would be nice, but cost more than I can justify, and it betrays the KISS standard for this particular gun.

In the day, as an 18-year-old rabbit slayer, we didn't have slings on our shotguns or .22s ..... we just let the gun freeze to our gloves.

I'm a 'large framed' guy, and with cold weather clothing, I think (don't know yet), that a simpler sling may be easier to manage.

So, I do appreciate the Appleseed recommendation from Skadoosh, and the CDNN recommendation from 10-96. Those are heading in the right direction.

And, to scsov509... $25 isn't too much. You are correct there. And if I decide (or my son does) that a more versatile sling would be nice, well, I've bookmarked VTAC and most of the others. I appreciate good value.

Ultimately, I just want what works, as inexpensively as possible. Hence the selection of a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport for $599. It seemed like a good place to start.

(As a side note, I'm working on a specialized leather pocket holster for my Springer XDs. I like making stuff, and I can't find something already available that suits my needs)
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old December 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #33
scsov509

Quote:
Where can I find a VTAC sling that costs $25??
Primary Arms carries them for $29.99 regular price, and if you watch for a sale or coupon code you can do even better still. I purchased both of my VTAC slings at the local uniform and equipment store for $25 plus state sales tax, so look around locally and you might find a similar price.

Quote:
And while you're at it, please explain what the VTAC has that the USGI sling cant do just as well?

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart...=detail&pid=10
I've shot Appleseed and appreciate that the USGI sling can be used to provide a stable shooting platform. Where the VTAC excels however is as an actual sling intended to carry a rifle. The quick adjustment of the VTAC is far superior to the adjustability of the USGI sling, and this feature allows for quicker adaptation of the rifle to a variety of carry positions and also quick adjustment to shooting positions when the sling is used for support. This is a feature I absolutely want when I'm carrying my rifle in the field so I can secure the rifle, quickly deploy the rifle, and quickly adjust my sling to provide shooting support when needed.

The other feature I find superior on the VTAC is its method of attachment. While the aforementioned metal clip of the USGI sling is nice for quickly detaching the sling when using it as a shooting aid, I don't like that feature at all for actual carry of the rifle. The fact that it quickly detaches also means that it is prone to accidentally detach under heavy use, and for $1000-1500 of rifle and optics I much prefer something more secure even if I'm doing little more than hiking through the woods. I also don't like that the attachment is a metal clip, because metal-on-metal attachments rattle and make noise I don't want to make while I'm out stalking Wile E. Coyote or Bambi.

So again, if a USGI sling meets your needs the have at it. Personally, I find the USGI sling to be little more than a glorified carry strap that is woefully inadequate for actually carrying a rifle, and so I choose not to use them.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:37 PM   #34
Skadoosh

scsov509 wrote:
Quote:
Primary Arms carries them for $29.99 regular price
$34 shipped the slowest and cheapest way from Primary Arms is quite a bit more expensive than the $16.88 shipped from the Appleseed store for a brand new (not surplus) USGI sling.

Quote:
The fact that it quickly detaches also means that it is prone to accidentally detach under heavy use,
I have yet to encounter anyone, myself included, who has had the metal detach clip of the USGI sling accidentally come away...even under extreme use.

It's your money. Needlessly part with it if you want to.

Last edited by Skadoosh; December 4, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added shipping costs
Old December 4, 2012, 05:21 PM   #35
Aikibiker

The sling Skadoosh posted may be called a USGI sling, but I have never seen one issued. Of course I only hang out with the military overseas in warzones and have never even been onboard an Army or Marine base in the States. Maybe it is a CONUS thing.

The metal quick detach clip in the pic looks suspect to me, I will stick with something with more positive retention of the weapon.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old December 4, 2012, 09:34 PM   #36
Mobuck

I carry an AR carbine with an across the chest sling daily from December to April. The one I prefer is a VooDoo( I think). Easy to use and adjust and it's held up well for 3 winters. I also have and use the ones that CDNN is selling for $10 and would be happy with those if that's my budget.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:55 AM   #37
Skadoosh

Quote:
The sling Skadoosh posted may be called a USGI sling, but I have never seen one issued. Of course I only hang out with the military overseas in warzones and have never even been onboard an Army or Marine base in the States. Maybe it is a CONUS thing.
I have...and its not.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #38
10-96

The main difference between the GI sling Skadoosh referenced and the one I referenced- well, the difference is about 20 years. Well, that's not quite right either I guess. That one with the clip replaced the leather 1907 type sling, and the one with the clip was made of a cotton type material, and later changed to nylon about the time the M-14's showed up. The plain black silent sling, came along after the M-16A1's were already fielded. The sling with a clip is a dandy sling for highpower competition use- it's really pretty secure and hasn't even falled off of the flat stamped sling swivel on my 1903A3's. I wouldn't have wanted it back when I was in the 25th Inf and all that sneaking around all quiet-like in the jungle as it seems pretty noisy/rattly.

In fact, all I had when I was both active and in the Reserves was the simple black silent sling. These newer generation types weren't invented yet. Well, the high-speed Infantry types may have had them when I was in Iraq in '03/'04, but I don't recall seeing them. I still think it a good thing that evolution is varied enough to give shooters so many choices. And I hope nobody's feathers are too ruffled from this ruther spirited debate.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:22 AM   #39
zukiphile

Quote:
And I hope nobody's feathers are too ruffled from this ruther spirited debate.
I found this thread informative. I am an enthusiast for the $2.50 nylon gun show slings, but this thread has me thinking of making something more useful from hardware store parts.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:09 PM   #40
smokiniron

And I hope nobody's feathers are too ruffled from this ruther spirited debate. X2

OP here....

I NEVER thought slings were more than a 1-page topic. But, I and the previous post appreciate the varied opinions, and the suggestions on cheap solutions.

Within my budget, I appreciate quality. I also appreciate the DIY solutions, or those that are elegant in their simplicity.

While I don't thing a hemp rope is right for me, I have no doubt someone has slung a rifle with a rope and made it work!

This forum is great...!
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old December 6, 2012, 03:08 PM   #41
zukiphile

Hemp rope! Why waste money?

Tomorrow is trash day and I intend to scout for discarded belts.

Last edited by zukiphile; December 6, 2012 at 03:16 PM.