The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2018, 11:18 PM   #26
Sterling

Having both 20 & 12ga pump & semiauto. GO 20GA !!!! Man what a diffrence between the two in recoil with buckshot or deerslugs imo the 20ga is much more pleasant to shoot for a range session. Besides Inside 20yd I doubt the bg will know the diffrence between a 1oz or 3/4oz slug with a smoking hole in his chest.
Old July 21, 2018, 07:44 PM   #27
RMcL

Well, 5/8th ounce Remington 20 gauge "Sluggers" have a well deserved reputation for coming apart at defensive ranges. Something to think about for those who value limited penetration defensive rounds.
Old July 21, 2018, 09:05 PM   #28
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
And not everyone here or using a shotgun is 20 years old
I never said anything of anyone's age. I'm not 20 years old either. Sometimes wish I was, but that's irrelevant.
But you say this:

Quote:
but I never realized there were so many soft shouldered shooters around.
Your snarky implication seemed to come through to me.

Recoil damage is cumulative. The heaviest gun shooting the slowest and lightest loads gives the least recoil (actual). Add in a gun that fits, and the perceived recoil ("kick") is less. Snarking about "soft shouldered is silly. There is no "macho badge" for beating yourself yp with excessive recoil. Otherwise, use a .375 H&H
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 22, 2018, 07:21 PM   #29
GarandTd

FITASC, I'm not insulting anyone. It's not some kind of macho competition. If you are recoil sensitive, it's ok, if not, good for you. Nothing to be ashamed of, either way. I guess I am less sensitive than others. In my opinion, the recoil difference, while real, is not a huge difference. Since there are so many variables in the firearm and the anatomy of the individual it can only ever be an opinion.

Paint my opinion however you wish, but it doesn't make it any less valid than anyone else's.
Old July 25, 2018, 04:10 AM   #30
kymasabe

I don't get it. I mean, I see the math that says the 20 gauge will have more felt recoil because the gun is lighter but...my personal experience differs. I shot trap for years with a 12 gauge pump gun, but had bought a youth model 20 gauge for my wife. That little gun waa so much fun to shoot, it later became my go-to gun for home defense and bird hunting. Was much easier to carry that shorter, lighter gun all day than my 12 gauge and no matter what I fired thru it, recoil never felt heavier or sharper than my 12 gauge, it was a breeze to shoot.
Old July 25, 2018, 05:39 AM   #31
amd6547

I've had a 12ga Mossberg 500 riot gun for years, but I started thinking about getting a 20ga semi.
This was during the big ammo shortage, and I was visiting several different shops looking for ammo.
I started looking at shotshells, and found that in 20ga, about the only self defense suitable loads on the shelves was slug...I didn't find any 20ga buckshot.
This, when I could buy 25rd 00buck cheap just about anywhere.
About that time, I got a good deal on a Beretta 1201 12ga semi, courtesy of Detroit Police surplus...
So I forgot all about getting a 20ga.

"Defendashotty"?...ugh.