The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 26, 2009, 02:15 AM   #1
RedDevil

More info please on Muzzle loading british Shotgun

I am trying to find out a Value on a British Muzzle loading Shotgun. It is a double barrel 16 guage The barrels are a dimascas Barrel The Stock is a Walnut with some checkering before the trigger guard. It appears to be the original Ram rod but that i am unsure of. It has a British proof but im not sure on how to identify it further. I have been told that one of the numbers stamped on it identifys it as being made in July of 1822 The number being 18227. There is a matching Serial number stamped on the barrel and trigger assambly 65991. Some of the markings I have yet to find any information on is the letters JD, a small Crown with the letter P below it,and the letter R next to the main proof mark. There are other marks that i am unable to make out. The over all condition of it is very good. There has been a repair to the stock where the barrel attaches to the stock, this repair being a rectangular piece of brass shaped to the contour of the stock as to give it better support to hold the barrels in place. The only other oddity or repair is the ram rod holders have been sodered on as though they were added at a different time than when the barrels were made. The barrels are rust free and upon inspection with a bore light are in overall good condition minus the years of dust build up. Trigger assambly is in execlent working conditioning. After a good cleaning It would be in operating condition. Over all length of the shot gun is 49in, barrel length is 34 in. Thanks for any and all information on this Shotgun.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Hawg

With the extreme numbers of unmarked European guns imported it's highly probable you'll never know who made it. Also there's not a lot of collector value on most of them. Really nice shootable guns can be had for 300 or so. If it's a cap lock it wasn't made in 1822 (unless it's been converted) since percussion caps didn't come about till around 1830.
Old February 26, 2009, 09:00 PM   #3
RJay

I believe the small crown over the letter P is the British proof mark for black powder shotguns
Old February 27, 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I believe the small crown over the letter P is the British proof mark for black powder shotguns
It's most likely a P over a G. The G may be worn down. It's a London proof house definitive proof for muzzleloading shotgun barrels in use since 1637. It doesn't tell you anything except that it's a muzzleloading shotgun and where it was proofed.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
RedDevil

thanks for all the help.

Tags
british proof , muzzle loading shotgun , shotgun