The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2018, 08:08 PM   #1
DealHunter

Ruger Bisley 480 vs BFR 475

Just looking for opinions on the the Ruger 480 Bisley SBH and the BFR 475 (Bisley or plough handle).

Never owned or fired a BFR before and a 475 Linebaugh can obviously shoot 480 Ruger but I’m familiar with Ruger Bisleys in 357/41/44 and quite like them.

This would be a fun gun as I have no real world “need” for it except it would fill the size and power gap between 44/454s and 460/500 S&W in the big bore part of my collection and would be fun to shoot. I have no real experience with 480/475 caliber and found myself tempted. Figured I’d ask from those who own or have shot them.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:41 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I knew a guy with both and almost every big bore revolver available along with carbines for most.
He told me the 480 Ruger was the best of all of them as far as balance, carry-ability, accuracy, comfort of recoil, etc.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:53 PM   #3
disseminator

I own the 480 Super Blackhawk Bisley.

The 480 is a sweet cartridge. It is a lot more power vs the 44 mag but is still quite manageable to shoot and carry. I also have a 460 XVR that I love but the gun is just huge and cannot really be considered a side arm at all. The 480 SBH on the other hand can be carried on the hip. Though it is a large gun coming in about 50 ounces vs the 75 ounces of the 460 X-frame Smith.

I have hand-loaded a wide selection of loads from 275 Gold Dots at 1600 fps, to the 410 Cast Performance at 1200 and a few more in between and they are all just awesome.

As for the Bisley vs a standard grip: this is my first Bisley and on my first range trip it beat up my hand pretty bad. I discovered I was doing it wrong. You should hold the Bisley the same as you would a Standard SAA type grip and place your pinky under the grip and then slide your hand down. If you put all your fingers on the grip it will position your hand too high up the frame and you will pay dearly with a banged up knuckle or two. (Still hurts just thinking about it)

I don't own a BFR yet, but they are available in the Bisley grip as well and are even heavier than the 480 SBH. I don't miss my gun not being a 475 Linebaugh either and the BFR is available in a straight 480 Ruger version as well as the 475/480 model.

I will get a BFR soon, it will likely be in 454 since I love shooting hot 45's.

Old April 18, 2018, 01:05 AM   #4
jackmoser65

Ruger Bisley for me. BFR's are very well built guns but I just don't like their grip frames.
Old April 18, 2018, 10:26 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I don't think my opinion of the BFR really matters, since ergonomics can be a very personal matter (and most people seem to dislike what I do prefer). And, I also don't like Bisley grips. --Helpful here, I know...

But for the cartridges, I definitely prefer .480 Ruger.
I don't have a need for .475 Linebaugh. I probably wouldn't use it much if I had one -- the old "20 rounds a year" cliche, probably. And the added frame and cylinder length just increase weight all the time.
.480 Ruger, as intended, is quite manageable and pleasant to shoot, while still being quite the sledgehammer.

If you like the Bisley and wouldn't feel handicapped by not having .475 Linebaugh capability, then I would definitely go for the Ruger.