The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Joshua 2415

Affordable Side-by-Side Double?

I'm looking for a 12 gauge side-by-side double barrel shotgun for use as a back-up or perhaps as a loaner when I take an inexperienced person into the field. Don't want to be nervous about a friend scratching up an expensive gun. It just needs to be reliable and have good core functionality, but not a fancy brand name. Hopefully something under 1,000. I'm thinking about a CZ-USA Sharptail. Any ideas for something along that line, but perhaps even less expensive?

Last edited by Joshua 2415; April 15, 2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old April 15, 2018, 06:15 PM   #2
FITASC

I haven't seen too many inexperienced shooters use a SxS as well as a semi or O/U; that said for your intended use the CZ might work just fine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Pahoo

Stoeger or used Savage/Stevens -311 ......
Last year I picked up a 311, 20ga for $150. Metal is good but did refinish it ..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 15, 2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old April 15, 2018, 06:42 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Look for a used Stevens. They're sturdy, functional and generally inexpensive. That said, I like my Turkish CZ Bobwhite.
Old April 15, 2018, 08:15 PM   #5
fourbore

I have the cz 20 gauge sxs double. It is a fine gun. FYI -Make by Huglu. It is not a simple beginner gun. It is not a beater, either.

I would suggest somehting like a use H&R single shot. I also suggest what ever you get for a new hunter, consider the 20 gauge.

If it has to be a double, the used gun racks are at any LGS will be loaded up more than you can shake a stick at.
Old April 16, 2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Kvon2

I generally trust CZ.

Stoeger is certainly a cheaper option but I haven't had the best of luck. I said to send mine in for work because the safety was loose and recoil from the first shell would often cause the second shell to fire as well.

No problems since then and I really do like the gun, but I don't like getting the recoil of two shells when i wanted one.
Old April 16, 2018, 06:02 AM   #7
bamaranger

stole it

Pahoo, you stole that 20 ga!!!! I'm always surprised at the asking price of 311's these days. And 20 ga's seem to bring more than a 12. Most fair examples bring $400+ dollars. A lot of those are used and abused and more than a bit loose.

I've got some sort of a hang up with the 311, my Dad hunted a 311 in 16 ga for a while. When a chance to pick an early well used one came up recently, I couldn't resist. No use for it, but now I have one. I've thought that if I could find a 12 fairly priced, that a double would make an interesting turkey gun. The instant selection of chokes, and time to decide which barrel to use as the gobbler closed, would make very close shots a bit easier.....if the gun was regulated and both tubes shot to point of aim.
Old April 16, 2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Pahoo

Surprised me as well

Quote:
Pahoo, you stole that 20 ga!!!!
The dealer had $200.00 on it and asked if he would take less? Talked him down to the $150.00. Now, to be fair the stock is probably Birch and needs refinishing and for some odd reason, the length of pull was too long for both of us. All metal was in great shape and tight. Don't plan to replace the furniture, just refinish it. I know it's going to serve me and one of my grandkids, well. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 16, 2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Don Fischer

I heard a lot of good about the CZ. But having had a Steven's 311 I have to say I loved it but was heavy. These day's I have three AyA's. All matador's, inexpensive one's. I took the ejector's out of them and like them even more. Don't know what they go for these day's But when I got mine they ran around $500, best money I ever spent.

I don't think it matter's which action a new person learns to shoot with, they are all foreign to them! I actually got started with a SxS, Habitch from Spain. Bought it in the Rod and Gun club while stationed in Germany. All I had to shoot there was skeet and it took a bit but I did get the hang of it!

Come to think of it I also had a Savage Fox BSE. Didn't care for it much and gave it to a brother. Solid gun but thick stock and fore end and heavy, heavier than my old Steven's 311!
Old April 16, 2018, 12:51 PM   #10
DanLee

Look for an Ithaca SKB. They were well built and can be found for $800 or so. Fixed chokes, but that's no handicap.
Old April 16, 2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Don Fischer

All three of my AyA's came with Mod/Full chokes. Use the 28 ga mostly so had the choke' bored out to Imp Cyl/Skeet 2
Old April 16, 2018, 03:17 PM   #12
eastbank

I picked up a 12ga Charles daly 500 made by miroku in japan, the same makers of browning shotguns for 200.00. and it has been a very nice field shotgun.
Old April 16, 2018, 03:45 PM   #13
FITASC

Sounds more like you picked it up and ran out of the door without paying! Nice deal
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 17, 2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Ricklin

Very nice deal

Yes you stole that Daly Miroku, great gun, even better price.

I recommend the good old 311 series. There are right around one Zillion of the darn things available used. Typically the shorter barreled guns (24") are choked IC / Mod and may be a better choice with current manufactured ammo.

They are heavy enough to mitigate some recoil vs. the single shot guns. So many of those single shots are so darn lightweight your new shooter may choose to fire it but one time.

In addition to the ones branded Savage / Stevens are the department store mutts. Sears and Western Auto both sold a variation of the 311. Might be finished a bit different, or have a Birch stock.
They are quite serviceable and the Dept. store name helps for a favorable price.

I prefer to start new shotgunners out with a break open gun. Very safe design.
Cut the stock short if it is not already and add a good pad. Now you have a short LOP gun. Now buy a slip on pad at Wally World, make sure it is a very tight fit, they come in three sizes. Add it for more LOP.

Hard to beat, and cheap too.
Old April 17, 2018, 02:49 PM   #15
eastbank

I do like double triggers on my field (hunting) shotguns and plain extractors. and the daly 500 fits the bill.