The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2018, 03:04 PM   #76
dgludwig

Quote:
OK, go ahead and throw your darts at me over this but I won't be backing down.
No darts from me. I agree with you that a da revolver (preferably having adjustable sights and a good trigger), chambered in .22rf makes a sensible candidate for a person new to shooting but not because, as you argue, it's inherently safer or will cause less damage to a person if they "accidentally" shot themselves or some other unfortunate victim. Gun safety is not dependent on caliber or type of firearm. If that was the case, shooting corks from a pop gun would be the ideal learning set-up for beginners.

Rather, the best reasons for choosing a .22 revolver are more affordable ammunition, less recoil, less noise and, arguably, it's more "forgiving" in terms of handling a firearm safely than say a Glock . Besides, since every serious shooter will eventually have a .22 handgun, it might as well be his first handgun.
Old April 3, 2018, 10:52 PM   #77
Walter Elliot

Hal, when the military puts a firearm into a new shooter's hand there's an experienced trainer or two standing nearby and if one of the newbies screws up some sargent is going to be chewing on his ear damned quick. That's a far cry from some greenhorn buying a semi auto and trying to learn how to use it safely on his own.
Old April 4, 2018, 03:46 AM   #78
peacefulgary

Quote:
I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto. There's SO MUCH TO LEARN and gun safety is at the top of the list.
Guns are very simple devices.
Even semi-autos are much easier to learn to use and maintain than the typical K-cup coffee maker, the typical smart phone, the typical TV, or the typical vacuum cleaner these days.
Semi-autos are not complicated...most use technology that has been around since the early 1900's.
Semi-autos are very very basic when it comes to loading, unloading, shooting, and cleaning.
Don't sell your fellow citizens short...almost everyone is quite capable of learning the workings of a semi-auto in just a few hours.

People who push revolvers over auto-loaders as a first handgun are really just insulting those they seek to help.
Essentially they are saying "you're just too simple and mentally feeble to understand the complexity of an auto-loader"...a weapon that a 17 year old farm boy mastered in just about 1 week of Basic Training way back in 1920.
Old April 4, 2018, 04:27 AM   #79
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto.
Assuming that it's madness can be a barrier to understanding. Good cases for 9mm have already been posted in this thread. With power scaling upwards from .22, .25, .32, .380, and .38 special; 9mm offers a nice balance between power and recoil. It's generally reliable and relatively economical. So long as we aren't talking about a sub-compact, 9mm is a great candidate for when someone needs a single gun that can be used for learning, enjoyable practice, and personal defense.

I learned on semi-automatics and got into revolvers later. Revolvers have benefits and they may be a better fit for some people. There are also lots of different kinds of semi-automatic handguns and some are more complicated than others. Have I ever seen a dedicated person fail to learn because they were learning with a semi-auto? No.
Old April 4, 2018, 04:46 AM   #80
jetinteriorguy

My daughter just started shooting a few months ago and she fell in love with my Mark II target pistol and just picked one up for herself. It has taken some instruction and dry practice ahead of time but she picked it up very quickly. At seven yards she shoots the bullseye out with ease. The only thing is, if it jams or has some other failure it would be more difficult for her at this early stage to know how to properly handle it. This is where a revolver would simplify things over a semi auto. But, I have taught her to just set the gun down with the muzzle forward and then I'll show her what happened and how to handle it. Or if she goes to a range by herself to follow this procedure and have the range officer handle it for her. So far, she hasn't had any malfunctions but if she does she knows what to do.
Old April 4, 2018, 07:25 AM   #81
Hal

Quote:
Hal, when the military puts a firearm into a new shooter's hand there's an experienced trainer or two standing nearby and if one of the newbies screws up some sargent is going to be chewing on his ear damned quick. That's a far cry from some greenhorn buying a semi auto and trying to learn how to use it safely on his own.
That's all well and fine & not at all what I asked.......

IMHO - caliber and action type have absolutely no bearing on safety.
A safety violation is a violation - despite the caliber & action type.

It's just as wrong to sweep a person with a .500 A&E as it is a .22 Bearcat.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:45 PM   #82
Mackie244Bud

Hi all,
MikeshootNY stated:
Quote:
So my plan is to work one on with an instructor and continue to shoot and shoot.
I’m gonna Just shoot the G19 and VP9 for now.
Again all the help is greatly appreciated

The OP stated that he is going to work with professional instruction.
I trust that he finds competent professional instruction and I would not be concerned over a 9mm semi-auto or whatever he chooses.
He'll have someone starting him off right with good habits!

I am also of the group that thinks the OP should start with what he is ultimately going to shoot.

Another factor that no one has discussed is that living in NY it's not that easy to acquire handguns.
Let alone multiple handguns..unless I'm wrong.

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; April 9, 2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:09 PM   #83
Cirdan

"I cannot figure out, for the life of me, what kind of madness causes anybody to recommend to a first time handgun owner that he buy a semi-auto. There's SO MUCH TO LEARN and gun safety is at the top of the list. "

Kind of a silly thing to say. Glocks are as robust and simple as any revolver. Furthermore, the heavy trigger of a double-action makes it hard for first-timers to get on target. If you don't enjoy yourself, you'll stop doing it.

As far as safety goes, you can't stop stupid. Doesn't matter what kind of a gun they have.
Old April 10, 2018, 12:12 AM   #84
boondocker385

A double action revolver without a doubt!! You will learn how to use a trigger properly. You can thank me later
Old April 10, 2018, 02:13 AM   #85
Carl the Floor Walker

I got started with a 22.cal rifle at the age of 12 with a new Marlin. From there moved to different fire arms. The Military taught me nothing. People think just because you were in the Military you know all about firearms and can shoot well. A big misconception. I shot expert in Boot camp. That was a joke.
My first pistol was a BB gun, then a Pellet gun, then a 22 and on up. I learned to point and shoot at a young age. Pretty much all I do now with thousands of rounds of 9mm. Guess what? I still shoot bb guns, Pellet guns, and a hell of a lot of 22.cal.

What firearm should someone start out with? One he will TRAIN WITH OVER AND OVER AND OVER. AND TRAIN FREQUENTLY WITH. ONE THAT WILL FIT THE BUDGET TO TRAIN THAT OFTEN WITH.

No matter what firearm he or she chooses from the many suggestions, none will be worth a hoot without frequent training. How many of the masses buying guns now really train consistently? Going to a range once a month is a total joke. Buying any firearm is a commitment to train.
How much training is a guy going to do with a 9mm? Ammo is costly, time is consuming. People like to put the horse before the cart in shooting.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 10, 2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old April 10, 2018, 03:41 AM   #86
Hal

Quote:
How much training is a guy going to do with a 9mm? Ammo is costly, time is consuming.
Funny you should mention cost....

Oops - sorry - my bad on the prices - if anyone caught them.

Anyhow - 9mm isn't all that expensive in relative terms.

And anyhow - practice/training isn't really something that repetition alone can address.

Practice does not make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect.

I learned more shooting 50 rounds of .38 spl during a half hour of one on one training than I did in years of blasting away at things with a .22.

Last edited by Hal; April 10, 2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old April 10, 2018, 04:53 AM   #87
Mackie244Bud

Quote:
How much training is a guy going to do with a 9mm? Ammo is costly, time is consuming.
Training and or lots of FUN with any caliber you really have to purchase ammo in bulk (free shipping) online.
It IS the only way to really save.

I've said it before that last year when Federal American Eagle had their 25% off Sale I got 2500 rounds.
I was able to get 1000 rounds of American Eagle 124g FMJ for $200.00 with $50.00 rebate back.
In these days $150.00 for 1000 rounds is GREAT!
So, I purchased two 1000 round Bulks (free shipping) and then a 500 at the end of last year.
The 500 round was around $18.00 shipping.

The last "Gun Show" in Miami there was a ammo booth selling 1000 round Federal American Eagle in 115g FMJ for $199.00
(did not have 124g) but still that is the best "On-Line" deal I've seen at a Gun Show!

Lastly I go to a small local range here that is $12.00 per hour, I'm usually good after about 45 minutes.
Some months I get to the range twice others once.
But at 250 rounds per visit that means that 2500 rounds will get me 10 range days.

I think of it this way...
Some people Bowl others play Golf or Fish.. some like to go to the Movies..some like to watch sports and maybe a Season ticket holder..
Whatever your choice of Sport or Entertainment for ME (and I think everyone that is in this Forum) my Guns and Range time is included.
It all costs $$$ budget the best you can and have Fun / Training...
I maintain my shooting skills (and hopefully get better over time)
Per your shooting skills you decide how much range time you need.
But bulk is the only way to go...
I really need another sale like Federal did last year..
Everybody keep your eyes open for it and please SHARE it here...

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; April 10, 2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old April 11, 2018, 06:46 PM   #88
kramden

The advice about going with a .22 first is very good advise. Try a Ruger SR22 or even better an MP22 (S&W). When test driving a 9mm be sure to include an M&P Shield ( great for CC) or the new MP9 in a 2.0 version. Try as many different guns as you can. Good luck. Let us know which way you went and why.
Old April 12, 2018, 10:57 AM   #89
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden View Post
The advice about going with a .22 first is very good advise. Try a Ruger SR22 or even better an MP22 (S&W). When test driving a 9mm be sure to include an M&P Shield ( great for CC) or the new MP9 in a 2.0 version. Try as many different guns as you can. Good luck. Let us know which way you went and why.
Not only the first gun should be 22.cal, but everyone should own one to train with. I have the LCR9mm with the 22.cal. I own the SR22, the Bersa 22 and the small barrel Phoenix Hpa 22. actually two of them.
I also buy bulk 9mm in Perfecta, Lax, Freedom munitions, Sportsmens Guide American Eagle, Fiocchi etc. No matter where I buy, I get free shipping. I buy a thousand rounds of 9mm each month. Love the Perfecta and Fiocchi. Usually get it at about $189 shipped.

I buy bulk 380 each month and bulk 22.cal. (Mostly Remington Goldens and by the way, they work great in all my guns regardless of internet bashing). I do buy other 22'cal for my rifles. Standard cheap stuff for the small barrel pistols work fine
I have and do own a number of small 9mm's have carried and shot the LC9S now for years, but my favorite is hands down the Nano.
And as the poster said, shoot as many as you can. It is like buying a pair of shoes. Not a one size fit all item.
Old April 13, 2018, 05:50 AM   #90
Spats McGee
Staff

OP, any progress?