The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Old Stony

More Hog poison stuff

I didn't catch all the details, but was just listening to the local news out of the corner of my mind while I was talking on the phone. They announced that the hog poisoning program has been put on hold. Apparently they are running into a lot of opposition to it. Yahoo!!
Old March 3, 2017, 07:20 PM   #2
thallub

Yep, a Texas judge has issued a temporary restraining order against the poisoning of wild hogs. Texas Hog Hunters won round one.

Quote:
But the judge ruled Miller and the department didn't follow requirements of the Texas Administrative Procedure Act--specifically the emergency rule was issued without any public discussion.

Officials with the Texas Hog Hunters Association said spreading the rat poison would have hurt hunters, businesses, ranchers and the environment.

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/new...ral-hogs-.html
Old March 3, 2017, 07:33 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

I don't know the laws in Texas but I would be willing to bet that it is illegal to use poison due to the added lethality on the scavenger population. If you want to protect your game animals get the local and state departments of wildlife involved and use the effect of secondary poisonings as your leverage.
Old March 3, 2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Dufus

Here is the official notification from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD).

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/...ce/feral_hogs/

I believe that the other thread exposed some of the context regarding the use of "Kaput" and that further research is needed.

Personally, I believe that they want to open the door for those that do want to control the hog population growth such as the farmer and maybe some ranchers.

Fact is, quite a lot of land owners see it as an opportunity for monetary gains, and yet others do not want to open their land to strangers roaming all over.

Bottom line is money talks and the land owners have the last word as to what happens.
Old May 21, 2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Recoil spring

I have wanted to do some hog hunting.

I moved to Central Texas 8 years ago and wanted to do some hog hunting, lack of time and money have been an issue. But from what I have read on line, the ranchers want to charge people money to remove "their" problem. That would be like me running an ad to charge hundreds of dollars for someone to wash my car.

I have done my share of outdoor activities, hiking, mountain biking, etc. in isolated areas and have not seen any pigs. If this really was a problem there would be more user friendly invites for people to come out and shoot a few hogs.
Old May 21, 2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Old Stony

Most ranchers are not in the business of charging people to hunt hogs, but they just don't open up their land for anyone they don't know and hope the hunter is responsible enough. If I could offer a suggestion, if you were to get out and meet more of the rural folks, you might make friends and be invited to hunt hogs on their properties.
There are many factors they need to take into consideration....such as scheduling hunters so they don't end up with conflicts hunting the same areas at the same times, etc...
Hunting ranches are there to make money, and I can't blame them for that.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:21 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
That would be like me running an ad to charge hundreds of dollars for someone to wash my car.
What you think they should do would be like running an ad to have some anonymous person show up to your house, drive your Ferrari to the car wash and bring it back washed. Turning an anonymous stranger loose on your property with a gun and your permission to hunt is like giving an anonymous person your car keys--except the potential liability is somewhat lower in the case of the car keys.
Quote:
If this really was a problem there would be more user friendly invites for people to come out and shoot a few hogs.
I'm sure that if you had friends who owned land with hog problems you would get friendly invites from them to come hunt their property--assuming that they had reason to believe you were a careful and responsible adult.

But nobody is going to invite a person to come hunt on their property without knowing about them first. One dead cow or one bullet through a neighbor's house cancels out any possible benefit of having someone shoot a hog or two.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:11 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

There is another side to the "benefits" of farmers charging people to hunt on their land, besides the cash.

It's not JUST greed, though I'm sure there is some of that, people being people. It's a kind of insurance. People who are ponying up a bit of cash to hunt tend to be less ....damaging to the land, and things on it.

Having to pay, just to be there, and knowing that they will be charged for damages as well, tends to cut down on the cut fences, gates left open, and trash left behind....

Up front payment provides some coverage for the farmer/rancher if the "Strangers" do misbehave.
Old May 22, 2017, 06:12 AM   #9
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil spring View Post
I moved to Central Texas 8 years ago and wanted to do some hog hunting, lack of time and money have been an issue. But from what I have read on line, the ranchers want to charge people money to remove "their" problem. That would be like me running an ad to charge hundreds of dollars for someone to wash my car.

I have done my share of outdoor activities, hiking, mountain biking, etc. in isolated areas and have not seen any pigs. If this really was a problem there would be more user friendly invites for people to come out and shoot a few hogs.

Well If your going to hunt in TX you need 1 of 3 things pretty much.
1) enough land of your own to legally hunt/shoot on which in most counties in TX is 12 or more acres.
2) If not 1 then $$$ for a lease to hunt on.
3) Real good friends or relatives who will allow you to hunt their land for nada.

There are public lands (state) in TX that are available to hunt just not alot of it.

Oh the hogs ARE around you dont see them when your out doing your activities because THEY dont want to be seen.

Riding Motorcycles yesterday out in the country by Canyon Lake saw a pretty big ol sow all bloated on the side of the road. Poor car.
We have PLENTY O PIGS in S Central TX for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 23, 2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Unique

12 or more acres , where'd you get that lie from ? Not true
Old May 23, 2017, 03:44 PM   #11
FITASC

Quote:
I don't know the laws in Texas but I would be willing to bet that it is illegal to use poison due to the added lethality on the scavenger population. If you want to protect your game animals get the local and state departments of wildlife involved and use the effect of secondary poisonings as your leverage.
They are not a game animal in Texas, they are considered an invasive pest - no season, no limit, shoot all you can to reduce the damage
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 23, 2017, 11:30 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
In the interest of informing others following this thread now and those who may read it in the future, perhaps you could provide the correct information.
Old May 24, 2017, 03:07 AM   #13
Old Stony

Actually, the state now has hogs listed as an "exotic". They are classing some animals that are not indigenous to the state under this classification. I fully expect that some day the gov't boys will find a way to get more involved..at least financially..in the feral hog stuff.
Old May 24, 2017, 06:09 AM   #14
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post

Hope you dont LIvE in TX.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/LG.229.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
In the interest of informing others following this thread now and those who may read it in the future, perhaps you could provide the correct information.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/LG.229.htm

Old May 24, 2017, 07:52 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There are a very few counties which were given the authority to regulate shooting on tracts of less than ten acres. Harris County (Houston) is one; Bandera County is another. There may be others of which I don't know.
Old May 26, 2017, 05:39 AM   #16
Old Stony

A person might be a little misinformed...but that doesn't necessarily make him a liar. I sure would be nice if folks would use a little more finesse, and not be quite so confrontational.
I found one mod on another forum so confrontational and referring to people as stupid when they didn't agree with them, that I finally gave up and quit the forum as he was allowed the freedom to treat people that way.
A good conversation does not have to be an outright argument.
I was under the impression that 10 acres was the legal amount of property for a person to shoot on in Texas....but if it is, nobody seems to abide by it.
Old May 26, 2017, 06:10 AM   #17
Texas45

More Hog poison stuff

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/ou...as-in-counties
Yes YOU need to confirm restriction(s) by county and the other applicable items like distance to structures roads etc.
When I find the land to buy (currently looking) I will research and KNOW the particulars for the county it is in. So as to be legal.

Old May 26, 2017, 11:06 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In Texas, generally, county governments have very little regulatory authority. No zoning, no building inspection, no land-use control. Some state-mandated control in the counties bordering Mexico. State-mandated requirements for septic tanks on tracts under five acres.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:52 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Several distant relatives I have only met at a few weddings and funerals have invited me to texas to hog hunt on their property. And their friends property. And their company oil fields.
It can't be that hard to get an invite for free.

Farmers in my area do seem to like to complain about deer then refuse anyone permission to hunt. It seems the more complaining they do the more federal money they get. They'd pretty much all be broke without federal subsidies. Like the ~70% premium subsidy on crop insurance.