The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2018, 04:33 PM   #1
mellow_c

Please recomend a decent Torx bit set

I could really use a full range of Torx bits for scope mounting and general use on firearms. I would really prefer a bit set so i can use them in a torque wrench, so I'm not really interested in full sized individual drivers.

I thought about getting a basic set from Brownells but what i was looking at had gotten horrible reviews.

I know a lot of the smaller bits are prone to bending or snapping off without applying much force.

I've also looked at cheap Chinese stuff on eBay and Amazon.

Can anyone recommend a decent set that has held up for them in their own personal experience?

I'm not worried about price, cheap or expensive is fine. I'll be careful not to over tighten anything, but sometimes they can break just from trying to get a factory screw loose! I just don't want to have to worry about replacing a bit everytime i use one.

Thank you.
Old April 19, 2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Scorch

Get a Irwin Torx set at Home Depot or Lowes or wherever. Most sets you find don't have the uncommon sizes, the Irwin set has saved me several times.
Old April 19, 2018, 06:20 PM   #3
RC20

Look at Grainger.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5PA...180419231821:s

They have a set of magnetic tipped bit in various HVAC/Electrical etc.

Not sure which one is Torx oriented, but you can buy extra bits if needed. they have a lit sheet with the various types and what set is with which one as well as the HVAC, Electrical , Secure fasteners etc orientation of that one.

I am dead set against multi tools. this one though is a real wonder.

The bits are super hard top notch quality ones. The handle stores like 6 double ended bits so 12 total tipes..

I use one at work (and have the gun oriented one at home). The only downside at work has been the larger shank does not fit into some places like a regular screwdriver.

Tip wise it beats Klein and the like for being 100% zero wear. The bits are impossible to wear out (maybe if you chuck up in a drill and they slip)

I actually have 3 that I keep in the gun box, each one has its set of tips. Slot, torx, hex plus some odds and ends.
Old April 19, 2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Nathan

Brownells. Their MagnaTip sets are a Best Buy. If something bent or broke, it is being used wrong.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:23 PM   #5
LeverGunFan

KC Tool sells a variety of German brand tools, they have a large selection of Torx bit sets, for example this one:

https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-79445-...ector-bit-set/

They likely have a set that you can use. I've ordered from them several times, and they are a good vendor. Be careful, once you start looking you may buy more tools than you intended!
Old April 19, 2018, 11:23 PM   #6
mellow_c

Great recommendations! Thank you everyone!

Here is another question...

I'm assuming there is only one continuously increasing scale of Torx bits, not like standard and metric for Allen wrenches, correct?

Also, i know they can get pretty dang small, and probably quite large. Do any of you have any idea of how many bits i should be looking for in a set to have "full range" of bits, or at least enough that i won't be wishing i had one that was just one step smaller or larger down the road?
Old April 19, 2018, 11:33 PM   #7
mellow_c

The Irwin set sounds good because you mentioned a variety of sizes, and buying one from a store means i can easily return it if i feel like it is not up to par after buying it.

The KC tools stuff looks like a great quality set.

The Brownells torx bit set, part number 080-435-000MB has three 1 star ratings and no other reviews. Everyone just saying they break with very little pressure applied, so i think I'll pass on them.

The grainger stuff looks interesting, but i think I'll pass on the full tool and just look for a set.

Thanks again everyone.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:06 AM   #8
tobnpr

I've not had issues with the Brownell's bits, but I've started buying some items here, quality/hardness seems to be good:

https://www.wihatools.com/torx-tools/bit-sets
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 20, 2018, 08:57 AM   #9
Ricklin

Good Stuff

Wiha is excellent. Bondhus is also excellent.

Torx drivers come in one size range, no inch and Metric. T-# I like to work with Torx vs. other types of fasteners. Torx makes things a little easier. Fasteners will stay on the end of your driver bit much better than other types when doing assembly tasks.
Of course the best thing is with a quality driver you will shear the screw before the head strips out.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:57 AM   #10
mete

I like WIHA products. Most are made in Germany.
Old April 20, 2018, 11:51 AM   #11
mellow_c

Thank you all very much for the recommendations! I ended up buying this set...

https://www.wihatools.com/torxr-bit-...tic-bit-holder

SKU: 79242

It has 10 hardened bits plus a 1/4" magnetic extension. This set starts at T-5 and ends with T-30. They have another similar set that starts at T-7 and ends at T-40. Obviously I went with the smaller set since I'm more likely to run into smaller screws tinkering with firearms, pocket knifes or whatever else. If I were buying these to work on cars I'd have gone with the larger bits. If I find I need the larger bits someday I could probably buy the last two individually. In all reality I'll probably only ever need 3 or 4 of the middle to lower sized bits (not the biggest or the smallest) but it's nice to know i have my bases covered should i run into something unexpected.

I was about to order it from the WIHA website for about $20 + $6ish for shipping, but decided to check ebay just incase. Found the same set brand new from a reputable seller for $19.50 with free shipping.

That's a pretty great deal considering i see all the cheap Chinese made stuff priced for about the same price or maybe half as much, but with these I can expect them to last with proper use.

Should be everything i need. Thanks again everyone for helping me make a quick choice for some much needed quality tools!

Last edited by mellow_c; April 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 22, 2018, 11:07 AM   #12
mulespurs

Please note that there is a t 27 torx bit that is not listed in your set. I have found a need for it in some mechanical applications. Your local lumber yard should have that size.
Old April 24, 2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Get a Irwin Torx set at Home Depot or Lowes or wherever. Most sets you find don't have the uncommon sizes, the Irwin set has saved me several times."

Yeah, we Irwins tend to do that...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 24, 2018, 11:40 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Don't make me pull your post for shilling for the family business!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 24, 2018, 01:26 PM   #15
RC20

I have had a chance to use a fellow mechanics Whia and those are indeed good.

Been wrenching for 45+ years, I own 4 of the MegaPros and my wife has one.

I think they have 12 end between the 5 or 6 stored bits in the handle. This one is Torx oriented (like 8 categories, HVAC, Electricl etc). Generl purpose one has a great awl tip (one way only on that one)

https://www.grainger.com/category/mu...N-19p7Z1z0qtf0

Equally importation the handle/driver is excellent functionality.

I dislike multi tools, the Megapro is a real keeper. Storage is very solid as is the slide in cap that has the bits.

All the rest of my stuff is specific function. Obviously I am seriously biased but having worked with just about all the variants over the years, it came out clearly as class leader.

Last edited by RC20; April 24, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old April 24, 2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wish it were the family business.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.