The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 30, 2022, 08:26 PM   #1
akinswi

Yugo M48

I recently took my Yugo M48 to the range, and I remember when I bought it 15 years ago it shot pretty well using milsurp ammo 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards.
It shot terrible this go around , so I cleaned it with alot of ammonia.

Back then I used windex and butches bore shine (Old Formula). I was new to the milsurp scene and was always told to clean clean with ammonia with corrosive ammo.

Fast Forward to 2022 Now that I have bore scope I ran it down the bore and its caked with black substance that looks like carbon.

Im hoping if I can get it off and praying its not too pitted. I didnt see rust (red) but I see copper and alot of carbon. Im hoping the ammonia I used to clean, neutralized the corrosion and its just good ole carbon build up. The best analogy I can describe the black substance is it looks like freshly made asphalt.

Now should I plug bore and soak it with Carbon Killer ? I needs to come out my Boretech Eliminatior didnt even touch it. I tried Issos bore polish nadda

Last edited by akinswi; April 30, 2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old April 30, 2022, 08:40 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Corrosive ammo requires cleaning with water to dissolve the corrosive salts. It also requires removing any other fouling that's preventing the water from getting to the salts that need to be removed.

I don't think ammonia really does anything significant for you, it's the water that's the important part.

You can also just clean all the way back to bare metal using whatever means you prefer to accomplish that goal. That means removing ALL traces of carbon and copper/jacket fouling and leaving a completely shiny bore from one end to the other. That will also deal with corrosive fouling. That can be a lot more work than most people want to take on for every single shooting session.

If your bore is now pitted, there's not much you can do about it at this point. In your situation, I would do the following.

Run a patch with a good copper solvent (letting it sit for awhile) through the bore and then patch it clean.

Run a patch with a good nitro solvent down the bore and then brush several strokes with a good phosphor bronze brush that fits the bore tightly. Then wet the bore with nitro solvent and patch it clean/dry. You have to really get it clean for this step to remove any residue left from the bronze brush.

Repeat those two steps until the copper solvent isn't getting out any blue or green.

Get something like Flitz or RemClean that has an abrasive component and patch the bore back and forth with a tightly fitting patch to try to remove any oxidation.

Wet the bore with nitro solvent and patch it clean/dry and take a look.

Repeat those steps until you see no more improvement or until you are happy with the results.

I can tell you that nothing you can do at this point will remove the dark areas if they are actually pits. Also, those pits will collect fouling in the future and will make cleaning more work from now on.
Old April 30, 2022, 08:47 PM   #3
akinswi

Thanks, I will try and see if it reveals any significant pitting
Old April 30, 2022, 08:51 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

To get the bore completely clean after shooting.

Run a patch with a good copper solvent (letting it sit for awhile) through the bore and then patch it clean.

Run a patch with a good nitro solvent down the bore and then brush several strokes with a good phosphor bronze brush that fits the bore tightly. Then wet the bore with nitro solvent and patch it clean/dry. You have to really get it clean for this step to remove any residue left from the bronze brush.

Repeat those two steps until the copper solvent isn't getting out any blue or green.

If you have really stubborn fouling, an abrasive cleaner on a tight patch will usually take the rest of it out.

If you have a bore scope, check to make sure there's no trace of copper fouling anywhere in the bore and that anywhere there is no pitting, that the metal is clean and shiny.

If the bore is pitted, I would do some passes with water once the bore is completely clean to get out any residue of corrosive fouling hiding in the pits.

Then, once it's as clean as you can get it, and completely dry, make sure that the entire bore is coated in a good corrosion preventing oil.
Old April 30, 2022, 11:19 PM   #5
tangolima

Let the chemicals do the work for you. I will plug the bore and fill it with good solvent, such as boretech eliminator and let it sit over night. Repeat if necessary. If you feel better to help chemicals with scrubbing, use nylon brush instead of bronze. Time and concentration, chemicals need these two to work.

I used to use electrolysis. It will dig through a copper mine pretty fast. But now we have much better solvents. They are still slower, but good enough that I haven't used electrolysis for years.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2022, 08:10 AM   #6
akinswi

Tangolina,

My Slip2000 Carbon Killer arrived yesterday, Im interested too see how it performs
Old May 8, 2022, 10:31 PM   #7
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
Tangolina,

My Slip2000 Carbon Killer arrived yesterday, Im interested too see how it performs
You may need to alternate that with copper solvent. Carbon and copper go in layers. There are solvents that can do both.

Let the chemicals do the work for you. No need to scrub like a mad man. Cleaning up a milsurp like that frequently requires days, if not weeks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk