The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 31, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Gator Weiss

88 Commission Rifle parts

Last week I scored an 88 commission rifle for 50 bucks at a favorite gunshop. Nice family business that has been around for two or three generations. Always a deal in that shop. Always lots of old things and lots of new things in there. The guy cut me nice deal on this 88.

I need the bolt head, the slider for the rear sight ladder, and the cleaning rod. That will complete the rifle.

Do any of you curio and relic collectors have any parts to sell, or can you reccommend a source for parts?

This rifle appears never to have been altered for the spitzer bullets. I has an outward appearance that someone may have stored it in a chicken coupe for fifty years. The bore has deep rifling, a little rust, and will probably clean up to a dark color. The outside finish is mostly non-existant. The wood is not cracked, but looks like it has been banged around quite a bit. Stock markings are intact, luckily. The reciever is stamped only with an "S" and GEW. 88 and nothing else. Has a four digit serial number.

Everything works. It just lacks that hard to find bolt head.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:05 AM   #2
meatgrinder42

Numrich gun parts sells a lot of that real goofy stuff.

www.e-gunparts.com
Old July 31, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Don H

meatgrinder42 made a good suggestion. Numrich doesn't list everything they have on their site so, if it isn't listed, a phone call may turn up the parts you need.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:36 AM   #4
SurplusShooter

Numerich arms or ebay.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Springfield Sporters have most 1888 parts:

http://ssporters.com/
Old July 31, 2011, 08:57 PM   #6
tater134

You're going to need a bolt head, extractor, and ejector. They aren't all one piece. Old Western Scrounger was selling bolt heads with the ejector on Gunbroker for around $40.00. I'm not sure if they still sell them. There was someone producing reproduction extractors but I don't think hes in business anymore so that might be tough to find.

Sight sliders do show up on the auction sites occasionally but I haven't seen any lately. Last time I saw them for sale they were around $35.00. Just make sure when you purchase one its not the slider for the 71/84 Mauser. They look almost exactly the same but won't function correctly if interchanged.

Numrich has repro cleaning rods for sale and they are the correct design with the double slot on the end. Original rods aren't easy to find on the loose so the repro is your best bet.

Good luck with your restoration project!
Old August 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #7
rdf.hack

Another thing, if you can't find an extractor, you might be able to get a really good gunsmith to machine one for you.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Tidewater_Kid

Good Luck! If you ever find complete bolt heads, let me know. I picked up one of these rifles several years ago when Centerfire Systems had them dirt cheap. They sold a ton and bolt heads disappeared overnight. Remember these don't shoot standard 8mm.

TK
Old August 14, 2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Gator Weiss

Very True, Tidewater.

Yes, I hear you. You certainly dont want to put the JS round in an 88 commission rifle.

If I go to shoot it, I will probably be using cast bullets and very moderate loadings. These 88 commission rifles are great guns, but there is a substantial risk in putting a high-pressure loading in that rifle. Not a good idea to do that.