The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
palabman

What data do you record when reloading?

Just curious as to what others record when loading up ammo.

I record the following:

Date
Lot # (my own creation)
Quantity loaded
Brass make
Times fired
OAL
Primer brand/type/lot number
Powder brand/charge/lot number
Bullet brand/type/weight

I am considering eliminating the primer and powder lot numbers because I have been recording these for years and have just become useless info.

Rick Steele
Old April 12, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
bobelk99

I too keep detail records. Your list about covers it.

If you load any long arms for accuracy, bench rest or just for fun, continue to track the lots of powder and primers.

Lot changes can actually affect accuracy. It does matter it 1 or 2 inch groups are OK, but it you are shooting.33, .40 and such groups, it would be nice to know what powder to look for.

Above assumes that we will eventually get back to readily available component supplies.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:42 PM   #3
azar92

Caliber
Date
Bullet weight, brand, product line
Powder weight, brand, type
Primer brand, type
Case brand, length, times fired
COAL, distance off the lands
Rounds loaded.

So, nearly the same as yours. I've haven't been good of keeping track of lot numbers because of inconsistency on part of the manufacturers. Many times, there is no lot number to be found (or it's been rubbed of during handling).
Old April 12, 2010, 09:43 PM   #4
BillCA

A long time ago, on a computer now far far away (in a dump most likely) I kept a spreadsheet for reloading data and would print out pages for a looseleaf notebook. It was very similar to yours, excluding the lot# and OAL since I typically used the suggested OAL for most rounds. If not, that went into the NOTES column.

........Case Powder........................ Bullet info...
Date... Mfr. Name ....... Chrg Pmr# PmrMfr. Wgt. Mfr. Type Vel. M/E Notes.......

3/11/05 Win. Power Pistol 12.3 .350 CCI ....180 Speer GDHP 1180 527 +3/50y,1160fps

For rifles, I added trim-length ("trim2") of the rifle case after the case manufacturer. The Velocity and Muzzle Energy columns were the "expected" figures from the manual. If I chrono'd something different, I'd strike-thru these figures and add the true FPS in the notes column, along with any other notables (like +3" high at 50yds).

Since it was a spreadsheet and easy to manipulate, the catalog number of the bullet was added below the Mfr. name (e.g Speer 201875) for reference. For cast "Lee" bullets, the mould number was used (e.g. 410459). Either of these allowed easy re-ordering on-line.

I didn't record the powder lot# for each load directly. I almost never had two lots of a given powder open at a time. Typically I'd buy a pound or three of a certain powders for certain guns. When I opened the can -- say a can of Alliant Unique, I'd use a full line to denote the date, powder and lot number. From then until the next line for Unique, the presumption was the same lot number was in use.

3/1/05 - Alliant Unique - 1 Lb - Lot A32716
3/01/05 Load 1 - Unique
3/10/05 Load 2 - Unique
3/27/05 Load 3 - Unique
4/15/05 - Winchester 296 - 1 Lb - Lot 463BA19
4/15/05 Load 5 - Win 296
4/30/05 Load 6 - Unique
5/10/05 Load 7 - Win 296
5/19/05 Load 8 - Unique

You can drive yourself nuts recording too much data. I tried to keep it down to just the data that would allow me to recreate the best loads. I gave up recording which gun was actually used to test the loads too, even when I had several of the same caliber. That level of precision is just more than I wanted to deal with.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Fullthrottle

Being that I still consier myself in the "early stages" of reloading(not nessasarly new) and I am trying many combinations, I record:

Date loaded
Caliber/grain/type(jacketed ect)
Powder/type/grains used/brand
Primer/type/brand
OAL of cartridge
Remarks(likes/dislikes/recoil felt/ accuracy)

I bet I may add more info when I start working more on accuracy!
Old April 12, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6
palabman

I keep my data in a spreadsheet also and was wanting to streamline the data entry. As I have said, I have never run into a situation where the lot number of component or powder proved to be useful.

I may continue on my hunting loads though.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7
maggys drawers

I list everything the OP does (with the exception of lot #s for powder and primers, and a lot number for the load).

I also list what manual I got the load from.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:51 AM   #8
totaldla

Powder type, charge weight, bullet type and weight, velocity.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Dr. Strangelove

Bullet weight, manufacturer's #
Powder type, charge
Primer brand, #
COL
Date loaded
All CED M2 chrony data
I keep the target, referenced to the spreadsheet.

I'm thinking of going to printing my targets on index cards, or just scanning them into my computer to make them easier to manage.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:57 AM   #10
palabman

I like the target idea for hunting loads. I have a bunch of old targets with notes
scribbled on them but no real order. I may have to start scanning them too.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:04 AM   #11
ZeSpectre

My list is pretty much the same as folks above. Additionally I like to record the ambient temp and humidity when the rounds were loaded (I have a thermometer/hygrometer sitting next to the reloading area).

No real reason for it, just something I do.

I keep it all on a spreadsheet for easy reference and so I can keep a running tally on rounds loaded/available.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:23 AM   #12
dsv424

I detail my loads just like everyone else has stated but I do add one more item in the recipe. That is the book and page number I got the data from. This way it is easy to find where I got my initial data if I want to adjust or reference the info. I wish I did this when I started because the first 8 months I recorded I negleted to. So now when I want to find the initial data for those its like finding a needle in a hay stack!
Old April 13, 2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Sevens

I have my own system. It may not be as detailed as some, but it works VERY well for me.

On the box of ammo itself I use a 2" by 2" square post-it note and on the note, I have caliber, bullet maker/style/weight, powder type and charge, and COAL. I also have the number of rounds in that box (helps me for when I shoot up only a portion of them in a range session) and the date I built them. That's all that I keep on the box.

On my reloading spread sheet, I have a dated log that keeps track of everything that I ever produce from my bench with the same info that's on the post-it note. This way I can cross reference any box I find by date with my records on my spreadsheet.

On a different page of my spreadsheet is a page for that particular caliber. On here are two separate lists -- one of load data that is triple checked that I intend to try, and the other list is load data and combos that I have tried and the results of those trials. On this page I keep things like FPS and estimated pressure if I have them, load techniques or hints that might help at the bench and I also keep my source for the data or how I came up with the data if I used a combo of sources and ideas for the load.

The blatant thing that is missing from my data is primer type/size. The way I figure it, I always use the same primers and the only time I vary from it is when I find some other primer for cheap or on the rare occasion when I can't find my regular primers. In that event, I'll usually denote that I've used different primers. I'll never develop a new load with some of these other primers and I never, EVER use a different primer for anything that I'd consider to be a hot or max load. As an example, I've substituted Winchester small pistol primers in my oft-used .38 Special LSWC load because I know it's not a barn burner and when launched from a .357 Mag anyway, I don't even give it half a thought to being too hot.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't record much at this point.....

I only have one kind of brass and it all started out brand new. I only load two types of bullets and the difference is obvious. I only use one powder in my rifle cartridge and I only load enough rounds for my next session. So, I pretty much record the charge weight and nothing else.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #15
SL1

Just a thought for all you new reloaders with a simple set of components and powders and primers that you can easily keep track of:

Someday, you will probably be long-experienced reloaders with many different bullets, unused powders and various primers sitting around from when you first started. If you want to load-up a batch of something that you shot long ago, using those left-over odds and ends of components without having to go to the trouble of working-up the load all over again, it is useful to know whether your old loads that you already worked-up were made with the same lots of primers and powder in the same brand of cases as you have left sitting on the shelf. So, quick and simple notes made now can save work later. Or, if your memory and luck aren't so go later, those notes might save you some actual trouble.

SL1
Old April 13, 2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Christchild

My Load Data "Labels" look like the list below...(this is the updated label)

Row/Qty.:_______________________
Caliber/Cartridge:___________________
Brass:________________________
Powder:________________________
Bullet Description:________________...
..._______________________________
Bullet Wt. Range:__________________
Primer: Federal Gold Medal Match Large Rifle

I keep a list of them in Microsoft Works on my laptop and when I need more I print a few pages then cut them out. You can always go into Your PC and make modifications to Your labels. There's a list of them, and the only variable is the Primer entry...Fed. 210M, Fed. Large Pistol and CCI Large Rifle Magnum. The "Qty." is for 1 quantity of the same load, the "Row" pinpoints the location of 1 load in an ammo box (the sides of the ammo boxes are Numbered and Lettered)...useful when storing a few handloads or loading for someone else. Yes, I do that, but WHO I load a few for, is the key to not having problems. Load for a very select, very few people who are "smarter than the average bear".

When carrying multiple loads in an ammo box for a range trip, usually for load development, I write all the info down in a notebook to have it all together and save my labels.

I don't load much bulk so I don't count the number of loadings. I DO try to keep loadings-per-brass to 3, maybe 4, then use a different piece to avoid cracking (specify FL Sized and/or Neck Sized, though). I recently put all the "pieces" together to start annealing, so workhardening is less of a threat!
Old April 13, 2010, 10:30 AM   #17
uncyboo

If you have different guns in the same chambering, don't forget to record which one you shot the handloads from....
Old April 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #18
cwok

Endorse comment by uncyboo

I ve got two .45s -- one is a 1911 derivitive.

Some bullets don't work well in it -- they tend to hang up on the feed ramp.
I could spend time/effort working on the feed ramp issue (I'm satisified that if the problem persists with four different new magazines it's not magazine related); or just I can just avoid loading those bullets/OAL combinations for use whith that particular .45.
Since most bullets work OK in that weapon -- I just avoid that particular combination.
That is the kind of stuff I put in the Remarks section of a load.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:55 PM   #19
GAR700

My job is dominated by mass amounts of data. Both my reloading experience and my work experience has brought me to the conclusion that you can never record enough data. You can't go back and make up for it later. It is a lot easier to erase data than it is to make up for data that is missing from the start.
Just my thoughts

GAR
Old April 13, 2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Claude Clay

most all my loads are gun specific--

my 1914 mauser likes LRN set deep; light powder charge
the 1903 and walther #4 eat most anything but i feed them truncated set long; moderate powder charge
p32 truncated set to a silvertip length and powder load

same holds for other calibers.
its a big part of how i enjoy reloading--customizing the load to the gun
vs the purpose. 7 different loads for my kimber 45; IDPA, plates/pins,
bullseye, replicate factory & a SD round, a long distance (75-100 yard) metals round and a light practice load

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old April 13, 2010, 03:35 PM   #21
brickeyee

I keep enough data to exactly duplicate the load (including any lot numbers I can find).

If there is not a lot number I simply assign an arbitrary number and mark it on the item so I can identify it.

When you purchase supplies in bulk it helps to know for sure what you used.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:17 PM   #22
palabman

Quote:
I keep enough data to exactly duplicate the load (including any lot numbers I can find).
I have been recording the lot numbers for years. Seems like they were more prevalent and easier to read years ago.

I am however curious as to whether anyone has ever determined a noticeable difference in accuracy from lot to lot.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:34 PM   #23
Crosshair

Cartrige
Powder
Weight of bullet and powder

Only 3 I've ever needed.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:01 PM   #24
That'll Do

My load data is simple:

Caliber
Bullet type and weight
powder and charge weight
primer
brass
OAL
Old April 13, 2010, 10:31 PM   #25
Sevens

As far as I'm concerned, COAL is just as important as keeping track of how much powder you put in the load. The only exception I have for that is if I'm using a cannelured bullet or one with a specific crimping groove that I always use to the same depth.

Otherwise, leaving COAL out of the notes is just NOT GOOD.