The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
k31

my first trap line today

me and the kid set our first trap line
funny thing them trap lines aint never seen them in a straight line???????
like a kid at christmas i want to go peek and see whats there its going to be a restless night i hope we get a coyote but even a skunk would be fun for her to see shes been asking for sometime now and i figure today would be a good day to take her out and hunt i figure jack rabbits and coyote sets a good combo
i think i made a dirt hole set but nobody on the trapper forum im on will tell me much except to read the archives (theres over 300) kinda snooty
i found two sage bushes that grow close together and i used them as my backing in the indention between the two i dug a hole and set the trap and then just at the base of the two bushes i cleared out a hole and rammed my shovel handle in to it to give me a pocket for bait then stacked up bushes to the sides some to force the dog onto my trap when it goes for the bait
2 sets i toke old socks and cut the toes out and made a pouch to put the bait in and tied it to the base of the bush so it would fight to get it out and the set the trap i used produce bags from the store to put the traps in so they wouldnt get wet and freeze up some i used a screen and some i set with just dirt to cover
wanted to mix things and and see what ones did best
cant wait
Old December 9, 2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Daryl

You should always use a pan cover to keep the dirt from getting under the trigger. If it gets underr it, the pan can't drop to set off the trap.

A dirt hole set is pretty simple. Use an auger or narrow digging tool to dig a hole about 2" in diamete, and maybe 6-8 inches deep. A spiral stake used for teisting into the ground for a dog tie-out works pretty well. Put the hole at about a 45* angle, and set your trap just off to one side, and maybe 8-12 inches back from the hole. Place scent or bait down in the hole and you're good to go. Sometimes a few small feathers scattered around the top of the hole will help if bobcats are a target.

Canine (dog/coyote) urine on a stump is faster, easier, and is oft-times a better attractant, but it depends on your set-up. It's a natural thing for them to hike a leg on such a place, so you just have to put the trap where they'll step to do it.

Good luck on the line, and I hope you'll let us know how you do.

Daryl
Old December 9, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
k31

LIKE A KID WHO ONLY GOT SOCKS FOR XMAS
learned alot though yes i will only use a screen i need to adjust the trip weight
ani took dirt home so i can dry it out just about all my sets froze
i dug down a good ways but i guess the dirt was still damp
i also think i need to go out farther lots of people tend to go back there to shoot and in the summer run quads
Old December 9, 2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Daryl

It's seldom a good idea to trap where people go to do their thing. Too much chaqn ce of catching a dog or some such.

Also, they'll mess with your traps if you catch something and they find it before you do.

Using sand will help keep your traps from freezing up. Sand drains/dries quickly and easilly, and allows movement easier thaqn dirt. Once mostly covered, finish the set up with a bit of dirt over the top to make it look natural. Screen the dirt you use, and then use the screen to lightly sprinkle leaves, grass, or whatever over the top. Just enough to keep it looking natural though.