The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2018, 11:12 AM   #51
ThomasT

ZVP there is a fellow over on the Smith & Wesson forum that cut down an older SS to about a 3" barrel and slicked it up. I should have saved his pictures because the gun looked so cool. If you are a member there you may ask and see if he will repost the photos. I promise when you see it you will want one just like it.
Old December 18, 2018, 06:25 PM   #52
rodfac

New or old, they're great guns those Single Sixes...and the .32's are even better than the .22's. My wife's 3-screw early '72 gun was a tack driver with either cylinder; 22LR or Mag. Sadly stolen by a dirt bag druggie, it's gone forever, but the new model 4-5/8" bbl'd replacement is ever bit as accurate and a bit more comfortable to carry with it's ~1" shorter barrel. Buy the Ruger, you'll never regret nor need to upgrade for accuracy in your lifetime. Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 18, 2018, 10:55 PM   #53
IAhunter

My thoughts are that I love mine and will have it until I am gone. It is one of the convertibles with the .22 mag cylinder. I bought it used in the mid 1980s and it remains stupid accurate. Great revolver.
Old January 1, 2019, 12:08 PM   #54
GoPappy

This past weekend, I found a 3-screw Ruger Single Six .22LR at a pawn shop. It was in great shape for its age and the price seemed reasonable (less than $300), so I bought it on the spot.

I'm not sure how old it is, but it has a 5 digit serial number (90xxx) with no prefix, and only has the drift-adjustable rear sight. I'm going to get the camera out some time today and will post pics later.

I was really just looking for a plinker, and thought about buying a Heritage just for something to throw in the Kubota RTV to have with me when I'm down in the woods. I.e., just something I wouldn't mind beating up. But, honestly, I couldn't get past the safety. A safety on a single-action revolver? Not for me.

Last edited by GoPappy; January 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:34 PM   #55
BusGunner007

My Super 5.5 blued lives with the Magnum cylinder in it.

It is such a great experience to shoot that round.
Makes me want to find a rifle to mate it with.
Lever-action, maybe?
Old January 3, 2019, 11:34 PM   #56
kenny53

I have a new model single six I bought in 1976. Been a great gun. Been about three days since I shot it.
Old January 4, 2019, 03:33 PM   #57
ZVP

Accuracy 22 Mag?

The way it was explaindto me;
The standard RF is a couple thousandths smaller than a 22WMR being ametal cased bullet thus needing a little larger oreand rifling
Naturally the WMR gets a better bite on the rifling and better accuracy
Honestly, you can't tell the difference shooting offhand but at 75 yds plus, then theWMR is king!!! Very powerful and flat shooting
BTW, I bought a Plinkster 22 LR from a famous dealer of SA revolvers and within a1K ofshells theguts fell apart!
There is only 1 competitor for the SS and or's the RR. Cheap and good but STILL not a Single Six!!!
Old January 4, 2019, 04:47 PM   #58
AmmunitionDepot

You're going to be really happy with it. Ruger revolvers are very well made and lots of fun to shoot!
Old May 24, 2020, 07:33 AM   #59
felkebg

New Member First Posting

I found this forum looking for a solution to my dilemma when I discovered that my Ruger single six convertable .22 magnum cylinder had gone missing from my three screw inherited revolver. I was given the revolver by my brother in law but it had been my father's and it didn't have the orignal box but it was instead in a zippered gun rug with the standard red pouch and spare cylinder kept loose in the case.

I went into my truck last week and was panicked to see the cylinder was no longer there and I tore up every possible place and contacted gun ranges where it may have fallen out. Then I went online and learned about fluted old models and new models and timing precautions.

I finally found my replacement at a NH parts dealer called Classic Firearm Parts LLC cfnparts.com where they had 8 cylinders in stock. I was told that they get parts from the police who confiscate guns used in crimes and are then required to destroy only the receiver of the item and thus the other parts can be put into circulation to help people like me.

Here is the fix I came up with to never lose another cylinder. I have now used paracord and a flannel pouch on a draw string that permanently ties the spare cyclinder to the gun rug hanging loop and it will no longer be able to be separated from the case.

Last edited by felkebg; May 24, 2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2020, 09:45 AM   #60
kenny53

Felkebg, Don't know if you noticed but this is a pretty old thread. The last post is almost a year and a half old. It sounds like you came up with a good fix, and welcome to the forum.
Old May 25, 2020, 06:44 AM   #61
felkebg

Thanks. The site warned me but I thought I could help someone with the post and that Google might find it for a good search effort.
Old May 25, 2020, 06:53 PM   #62
dgludwig

Quote:
Heritage Rough Rider. An affordable, reliable, and accurate convertable 22 rimfire SA revolver.
Ruger Single Six. A family heirloom for generations. At more than twice the cost of a Rough Rider.
I've owned a Super Single Six since the early seventies, so, by definition (given my poor boy status), the Ruger is imminently "affordable".
Old May 25, 2020, 07:07 PM   #63
dgludwig

Quote:
It is quite an accurate shooter with the 22lr cylinder which I use over 99% of the time.
I use my s/s, Super Single Six for hiking and camping duties (it's an exceptionally good companion for the times I venture into the Boundary Waters for two week fishing trips via canoe) and always keep it loaded with .22 Magnum ammunition. I use my auto pistols when shooting "regular" .22s.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:13 PM   #64
hdbiker

I bought my Ruger 5 1/2 inch Single Six Convertible in 1972 I think, for 79.00 bucks new in the box. It was fired so much over the year hunting, family reunions and range time it became out of time. Unless the hammer was cocked smartly the cyl. would not
always lock up but would still fire and spit lead out the cyl. gap. Called Ruger C.S. and they wanted the gun back for a safety ck. Ruger sent me a box & shipping label and I FED X'd it to them. About three weeks later the gun was home, in perfect time, cleaned forcing come, a new front sight and touched up blueing. NO CHARGE !!!!!! hdbiker
Old May 26, 2020, 01:10 PM   #65
GeauxTide

I've a 22 Bisley Convertible. Had my smith set a 2# Trigger and a Fermin Garza front sight. At 71, I can hit the 50 yard 22 gongs 6x6 without glasses!
Old May 26, 2020, 02:11 PM   #66
obiwan1

Bought a blue Single Six convertible in 1972. Love it. I keep the Mag cylinder in it as I have an other .22lr that is extremely accurate. You will wear out before the gun.
Old May 30, 2020, 08:56 AM   #67
.38SuperMan

Don’t remember the year I bought my stainless convertible 5-1/2” with adjustable sights but found the price tag in the box and paid $189 new. It’s been a great gun that I’ll never sell.