The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 15, 2013, 09:30 AM   #26
bedbugbilly

If I sell/trade one, it's because there's a reason for it - either I just don't use it anymore or there's a feature I don't like but didn't realize when I purchased it. Remorse, if present, usually fades fast.

To be honest, the only "remorse" I've felt in a long time is not in selling/trading but in "buying". I was starting to shoot a lot more rimfire. I wanted a Sig 1911-22 and found one at a great price. I even switched out the grips with some nice double diamond checkered ones - looks sharp. Unfortunately, it sits and I've only fired a few rounds out of it. The ammo is just still too hard to find. So, I do have remorse over purchasing a new handgun that I can't use. It's not the handgun - it's nice - just nothing to feed it. A sign of the times . . sigh . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 15, 2013, 07:44 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I am with Cheapshooter on this.

I have never sold or traded a gun.
^^ Yep, me too. ^^ Even my safe queens - they're staying put.
Old October 15, 2013, 07:46 PM   #28
RUT

Famous last words.........
Old October 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #29
M1ke10191

Guns are like cars. Their cool factor tends to degrade until that benchmark is hit where you mentally justify selling it for a "better" gun. At least with me that's the case.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:35 PM   #30
Tejicano

I am with Cheapshooter on this too.

I have only once sold a gun - actually a pair. They were worn out, brass framed Colt Navy replicas which a buddy (an honest to God, Special Forces Vietnam Veteran) asked if I would sell them to him. He just wanted them as wall hangers and I knew I wouldn't be shooting them so I could not turn him down.

My taste in guns is broad and changes from time to time but it almost always cycles back. So I know that if I ever wanted a gun, regardless of how I feel about it right now, I will one day want to have that gun again. It will only cost me more to buy the same gun again in the future - if I can locate one.
Old October 16, 2013, 04:14 AM   #31
PatientWolf

It could happen if I ever decide to sell something.
Old October 16, 2013, 05:58 AM   #32
Old Stony

Buying, selling, trading guns ....it's sort of an evolution. Our tastes and desires change over the years and these changes keep life interesting. If I were to just keep a few guns around to admire I would be stuck in a rut. Guns are to shoot and enjoy and like the old saying goes 'variety is the spice of life". So I say " get out there and enjoy it while you can".
I enjoy a nostalgic old gun just like the next guy but I'm not going to let my life revolve around it.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #33
aarondhgraham

Only once,,,

I once made an accidental purchase on gunbroker.

I was waiting for an auction to end and out of boredom,,,
I placed a ridiculously low bid on a pristine 3" LadySmith in .38 Special.

I won the auction.

A lady acquaintance of mine had a model 36 snubbie,,,
She was doing good to hit the ground with it,,,
I let her try the 3" LadySmith one day,,,
She became Annie Oakley incarnate.

She begged me to sell her the LadySmith,,,
So I let her have it for the same amount I paid,,,
Including shipping and transfer that was a mere $375.

At least I think that was the price,,,
I've slept since then.

My sellers remorse kicked in almost immediately,,,
It was tempered by the knowledge that my friend was better protected.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 16, 2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Ruger45LC

Yeah I have, several times and it's my idiot fault, nobody made me.

I had bought a brand new Dan Wesson CBOB for just over $1K several years back. Loved it, it was beautiful an boy would that thing shoot! For some unknown reason I traded it in one day (on another DW) at Buds in Lexington thinking it wouldn't be a big deal to find another one. I kick myself a thousand times for that, but hopefully somebody somewhere is enjoying it.

Did something similar with a DW VBOB, which overall was a nicer gun than the CBOB, but for whatever reason I miss the CBOB more.

Yeap, don't own this anymore

Last edited by Ruger45LC; October 16, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:37 AM   #35
bikerbill

Wish I had my Mossberg 500 back ... and, strangely enough, my Taurus PT-25 ...
Old October 16, 2013, 10:35 AM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

Yes and no...They're some I still miss, others I don't care about selling or trading. But the ones I miss I really miss...Don't think about the ones I got rid of that were crappy IMO.

Depends. We know how you feel, sorry man.
Old October 16, 2013, 12:43 PM   #37
Hook686

Along time ago ... I'm as old as dirt ... I thought it only wise to have 1 shotgun, 1 rifle and 1 handgun. So I bought a 6mm Remington Bolt action, and a 30-06 bolt action figuring I decide which one with use. Then I bought a Marlin 1894C and a S&W 686, a Marlin 1894 and a S&W 629 followed by a USGI M1 ,30 Carbine and a Ruger Blackhawk in same. Again the idea was with use I decide which to keep.

I had read, 'Beware the one gun shooter.' I figured by limiting my firearms to one rifle, one carbine and one handgun and select one ammunition choice for each that I would benefit.

Well it sounds good, but I have been unable to make that selection to this day. In fact I have added a couple more .44 magnums and .357 magnums. I find by doing that my selection gets even more complicated rather than simpler.

I finally decided that I'll let my kids and grandkids make that selection for me after I pass. It seems a whole lot easier that way and I will continue to shoot all of them at a leisurely pace.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:06 PM   #38
Sevens

I don't do much seller's remorse, honestly. Fact is, I don't sell my guns all too often. Occasionally, I'll do a bit of an "upgrade", where I specifically buy something that is better or different (in a way I prefer) and I'll move a similar one out, and I've not yet had any remorse in that regard.

I've assisted friends in selling guns where I feel a little remorse in that I couldn't convince myself to step up and buy it myself to keep, but that's not even all too bad simply because it's AWFULLY difficult to get a selling price they want/need and ALSO get a buy price that makes me happy.

I can tell you, at least from my experience, that some kinds are far more likely to have the ability to produce true remorse than others. If it's some manner of a classic or something well out of production, be careful. If it's something they make zillions of and distribute by the crate (such as an import, budget 1911 as in the original post), I just don't see such a strong attachment to something that is so easily replaced simply by running to the closest local gun store on a super saturday sale.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:16 PM   #39
Revoltella

Quote:
To be honest, the only "remorse" I've felt in a long time is not in selling/trading but in "buying".
I have a saying, "I don't regret the guns I've sold, only the ones I didn't buy".
Old October 16, 2013, 06:21 PM   #40
Sevens

I used to have regrets about guns I didn't buy, but I do things far differently today than I did in most of my past.

I don't buy everything I come across, but I'm far more active in the game than I ever was and typically, if I walk away from the opportunity to buy, it's because it wasn't the right deal, for whatever reason.

I may have remorse about things I didn't buy (that I should have), but those are all *OLD* regrets and I'm not compiling new ones.
Old October 16, 2013, 07:09 PM   #41
kilimanjaro

Sold two, regretted it each time, but had to do it, for some silly reason or other.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:22 PM   #42
magnum777

I don't sell or trade my guns. I just get new ones.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #43
lordhedgwich

so for all the guys saying they never have and never will sell their guns. What if something happened and you really needed money? Would you still not be able to part with them? Im not trying to stir the pot or anything im really just curious
Old October 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #44
iraiam

I'll probably take heat for this, but I have never regretted getting rid of any of my 1911 pistols I have owned 3, a Springfield, Colt, and a Kimber.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 16, 2013, 10:02 PM   #45
dgludwig

Quote:
What if something happened and you really needed money? Would you still not be able to part with them?
It should go without saying that the kids' shoes and vittles come first.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:03 AM   #46
Tejicano

"so for all the guys saying they never have and never will sell their guns. What if something happened and you really needed money? Would you still not be able to part with them? Im not trying to stir the pot or anything im really just curious "

I would sell the shoes off my feet and shirt off my back if that is what it took to feed my family.

But I have much more money set aside than the total value of all my guns. The only thing I buy on credit is real estate. The house will be paid off in 4 years and I could pay it off this minute in cash if need be. I have never spent money on "stuff". Guns and the occasional blade are my only indulgences.

Before the kids, while my wife was working, we saved about 60% of what we made. We do live well but always find ways to save every month. I admit that we have been blessed in that we have never run into anything we had not prepared for but we are prepared.
Old October 17, 2013, 08:17 AM   #47
full case load

About 25 years ago and before I knew better, (not that I know all now, because I'm still learning expensive lessons), I had a Security Six. I had just finished reading "Handgun Stopping Power" and decided I had to start reloading 125 gr JHP 357 mag. rounds. Damn thing shot low, way low. One more click on the rear sight and the screw came out of the threads. So I filed some off the front sight (then more and more) and still low. Figured it wasn't going to do what I wanted so I traded it off on a long barreled H&R .22. (that didn't do what I wanted either). Have done a little trading since but I'll sleep on it now.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:48 PM   #48
temmi

Never sold a gun... never will

Snake
Old October 18, 2013, 12:10 AM   #49
b.thomas

Several times.....................that's why I no longer sell any gun!
I just pack them away, nice and clean....................never know when I or someone else might want to shoot them again.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:24 AM   #50
slickab

I would not sell it because the American Classic II by Metro Arms is one of the

best 1911's I have ever shot. Very good fit and finish.

Very accurate, I routinely shoot the cap off of soda bottles at 30 feet. I know

it is made in the Philippines, as well, a best kept secret!!!