The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 23, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
jaez

SOB carry belt for athletic wear.. please advise!

Hi all,

New here, although I've been stalking lots of threads for research.. Great site.

I'm having trouble finding a good way to carry while running. I have a BG380. I tried SOB ITW but the waistband of my running shorts isn't strong enough; terrible bouncing and chafing.. it actually pulled my pants down I also tried using a 2" wide cloth adjustable belt at my waistline and that seemed to work really well - until after mile 4 when I started to warm up, the belt bound in the clip and the grip got stuck under the belt.. no good.

I'm looking at a "PT2" belt by Pistolwear and also the Underwraps by Galco. I'm sold on the Underwraps but their smallest size is for waists 30-34" and my waist is 27", so I don't want to spent $50+ bucks on something that won't work.

I'm leaning toward the Pistolwear belt, as it's designed specifically for runners / bikers / etc and can come in a smaller size. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!

::edit:: I finally see there's a search link, I'll go back and see if I can find anything in previous threads. I imagine this is a common & boring situation
Old May 23, 2011, 08:29 AM   #2
a7mmnut

A small belly band may just about be it.

-7-
Old May 23, 2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Mudinyeri

While I've never tried one myself, I know several runners who are concerned about self-defense that wear the 5.11 holster undershirts.

Be sure to thoroughly clean and lube your gun after each run.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
zukiphile

One of those elastic bellyband gizmoes seems like a fine idea.

I used to an old over the shoulder canvas holster that held the item against my lower ribs at about 10 o'clock.

http://www.armynavydeals.com/product...arge/10374.jpg
Old May 23, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
BarryLee

Have you considered some type of small bag? I know the first thought is a fanny pack and a lot of folks hate that look. However, you could also consider some of the other bags from 5.11, Maxpedition, Blackhawk or maybe even a small Camelback which would also offer hydration.

Anyway, let us know what you decide.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 23, 2011, 06:47 PM   #6
jaez

The holster undershirt looks really cool. I guess you would need to wear a second big T-shirt overtop of it. That would have me sweating buckets, but it's a consideration. I'm female, obviously, and pretty flat-chested so hiding a gun in my armpit or the front of me is pretty tough, when I run into the wind any kind of front-carry makes me print pretty bad. ...So the undershirt and the over-the-shoulder holster that zukiphile mentioned might be good second options.

I've considered the hydration belts. They're modern day and don't draw lots of attention, like an '80s fanny pack would do. But since they're not designed for personal defense, a quick draw from a zippered pouch would be difficult :shrug

I'm checking out Maxpedition (thanks!!) and appreciate your advice.. I'm still leaning heavily toward the elastic belt and SOB carry, it's the only curve I have to hide it, and fairly simple draw.

I like a lot of your other ideas for regular carry though. Thanks !!
Old May 23, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

There are fanny packs built for concealed carry.

I run as well, and while I don't carry when I do, I'd be concerned about chaffing and my sweat soaking the gun.

With those two factors in mind, I think a fanny pack is your best choice.

Here's a good example from Galco.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=320&GunID=403
Old May 23, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
armoredman

Someone was making a chest pouch/holster made for runners, disremember who it was. It was made because a fanny pack is either in the way of your upper legs, or out of reach behind you, and the chest mounted pouch looked nothing like a holster.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Carne Frio

This product is for joggers and might work for you:

http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html
Old May 23, 2011, 11:04 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Glockstore.com 5.11 Tactical Kramer...

Lenny Magill's popular website; www.Glockstore.com carrys a few black & white concealment shirts/bike type shorts that can conceal small firearms.
5.11 Tactical & Under Armor sell clothing items that do the same.
Kramer markets a mesh type undershirt with holsters too.
I'd suggest these products or maybe a small pack.

ClydeFrog
Old May 24, 2011, 11:33 AM   #11
jaez

Awesome! much obliged. I took a second look at the chest pouch and fanny packs, but I'm not a big fan of having my pack "out in the open", would rather have it under my clothes. I checked out the sites y'all mentioned - great resources!!

Since Underwraps doesn't make my size, and the Pistolwear belt won't work for small of back (it's seriously my only curve, dude!) I'm decided on choosing one of these:
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...36&CatalogID=4
or
http://www.activeprogear.com/15-sob.html

I'll still need to wear my adjustable cloth belt, but I think because these holsters have the belt go through them, they'll keep my gun in place securely. I can easily tighten my belt as I run, if it slips, without lifting my shirt.

My mistake was to use a clip holster (one that clips onto the belt) instead of a holster designed for the belt to go through.

y'all rock my face off! thanks for your advice

Tags
belt , concealed carry , running