The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Carolina Cowboy

BP Conversion

I know I am most likely asking a question that has been asked a lot, but could someone point me in the direction to convert my 1860 Uberti Army Colts to shoot BP cartridges, I have no tools so would want to either order the parts, or send them off to have it done. It is for shooting at Cowboy shooting events only. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old November 3, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Oldfalguy

Carolina
First look at the cylinders available for your particular pistol-
Krist Konverter or R&D
They will have ones for either the Uberti or Peitta 1860-
There are a couple of differences so read about them-
When I bought mine I went with the Krist and a loading ring so I would not have to remove the wedge to load the cylinder with cartridges.
It can be done with a Dremel tool I suppose but I had mine fitted by a pro.
ONce you get that far drop the forum a line and I am sure someone can help you find a gunsmith to fit it for you in your area.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Carolina Cowboy

Thanks

I went and checked those two out, looks like Kirst is going to be the way I go. Thanks a lot. Am adding that to my Christmas List as we speak. May have to shoot the old fashion way until I save a little more money to purchase the cylinders and ejector system. But looks like the best option for me.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Newton24b

not sure if you have investigated what a gunsmith would charge you to do the metal removal on the recoil shield, but it may be as much as what the conversion cylinder will cost you.
Just something to investigate before you make an actual purchase of a cylinder system.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:53 PM   #5
edsmith

do the metal removal your self,all you need is a dremel,the 5/8 course sanding drum,it will take about 2 hours,I just installed one on my pieta 1858 rem.if you don't have dremel,it is a good excuse to get one.