The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
TacticalReload

Benelli M1 Super 90 Problem - HELP!

I am having a problem with an M1 and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me diagnose the issue.

When firing, the next round fails to feed -- this happens maybe every 3rd or 4th round. The front of the shell is not going up high enough to line up with and feed into the chamber. All it takes to solve the problem is to push lightly up on the bottom of the carrier. This pushes the shell up slightly and it drops right into the chamber.

It just seems that the carrier isn't lifting the round up high enough (or quickly enough) to feed properly. As an FYI, I just swapped in a new recoil spring; but it was doing this before the change, as well.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old June 8, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How many types, brands of ammo has this occurred with? Possible shell issue regarding length?
Brent
Old June 8, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3
TacticalReload

Various types and brands of ammo.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Death from Afar

How many rounds has the gun done , and what sort? heavy buck shot or wussy trap loads?
Old June 11, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

TacticalReload

M1 S90 shotguns are race horses, and do require a bit of maintenance.

First off, I have a few questions;

what vintage is you S90, is it a HK model or post HK?
is the cocking handle round or curved?
Have you removed the trigger assembly?
Do you know if you have the light or heavy action spring?

Most of the time this failure to feed is caused by light loads, or a dirty lifter spring. However the above questions will help me understand your scattergun more better!

I carried the Benelli entry model for a number of years, and have an early HK/Benelli M1 S90, both are picky about dirt and grime.

A bit of thought from the armorers from HK concerning the M1 S90

It's not a pump, it's a self-loader simply means that we must condition our minds to except the fact that the gun uses mechanical energy "other than our arms" to operate. This is a fact, and it denies us the ability to jam the bolt open or closed by sheer force of " will and arm".

Remember, in the middle of the gunfight, no matter how strong your ARMS are, forcefully racking the fore-end will not make up for poor PMS (Periodic Maintenance Service) of this weapon and that's guaranteed!

Good Luck & Stay Safe