The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
? ? ? ?

The bp bug has bit me!

hello, i am really new to all this but the bug has bit me and i would like some help.
i'm looking for a bp revolver in stainless,that has a 5 1/2" barrel,in 44 or 45 cal. that also has an cartridge converter that i can buy for it later down the road.i like the top strap on my guns i dont like the opentop ones(but here is my delimma) i like the grip of the opentop colts, not the grip on the closedtop remmys. the only gun i have found so far that meets my requrerments is the ruger old army in stainless with fixed sights and a 5.5" barrel, but from what i can gather ruger no longer makes them and the only ones i seem to find online are way too much, im looking to spend no more than $200. so here is the other question if i get a gun repro that has the top strap can i get some cosmetic work done to get the grips to look like i want them? also what gun would you all suggest as a good gun that meets most of my requrerments. i will end up buying a pair and taking them along with my remmington genisis with me to alaska which is where i will be moving soon. i awaite you replys as you guys know way more than i do.

P.S. the revolvers will be used for small game and protection from wolves.unless i can give the guns a full 50 grain charge of 777. and it will bring down something bigger. Also do you think my rem genisis is going to be able to stop a bear if need be? thanx all for helping this noob

P.P.S. can i also get the gun converted to double action?

Last edited by ? ? ? ?; October 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added another question
Old October 14, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Hawg

Sorry, you're looking for the impossible. Having a Remington grip frame reshaped will run over 200 by itself. If anybody was willing to take it on. It's possible to make a round butt yourself but I don't think that's what you're wanting. Ruger has ceased production of all bp guns. None of them will hold 50 grs. of 777.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3
? ? ? ?

well i called ruger and asked what the max safe charge would be for the old army and they had said 50 gr of black powder so ok maybe i can't use that much 777,now i know i may not be able to get the guns grips converted but i am still looking for help with finding a stainless gun for under $200
Old October 14, 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

What Hawg said.

If you have enough money and can find the right gunsmith, just about anyting is possible. AN ROA would be close; but, no seeegarr.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 14, 2008, 12:30 PM   #5
mykeal

Lets' see.

Closed top frame.
Colt style grip frame.
Stainless finish.
.44/.45 cal.
Cartridge conversion available.
Less than $200.
Capable of 50 gr bp load.

Nope. Don't know of any.
I suggest you you prioritize your list.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
? ? ? ?

ok lets see what i can change.

Closed top frame.

Stainless finish.
.44/.45 cal.
Less than $250.
Capable of 45 gr bp load.

how would this be?
Old October 14, 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Closed top frame.

Stainless finish.
.44/.45 cal.
Less than $250.
Capable of 45 gr bp load
You can get None in SS for $250...search the Web and Auctions like Gunbroker and Auction Arms, you may get lucky.

None with 45gr of BP... 40gr max with Rems...w/conversion to .45 Colt drop in 255gr soft lead flat point 35gr Goex BP fffg...plenty to stop a Bear if need be.
I don't hunt Man or Beast with jus' a Revolver or handgun...but carry one with a Rifle.

Have a Pietta 1858 Rem .44 Blued very good condition $180 + Shipping.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...16-08_1626.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...16-08_1627.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...16-08_1628.jpg

Rogers & Spencer .44 by Euroarms is another choice but not under $250.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old October 14, 2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Oquirrh

Forget it

If you love a good grip, just get a Colt 1860. (You'll be lucky to find a used one for under $175, unless it's brass framed.)

The lack of top strap means little, as the Colt is probably as strong as a Remmy. But you'll have to work with the pistol and get to know it before it shoots dependably. If you aren't into knowing your firearms--get the Remmy.

Forget about stainless unless you throw a lot more money at it.

I have a stainless ROA and a few steel Remmys and colts. I shoot the ROA the least because it's not "authentic" and I have no problem with rust on the other revs with reasonable cleaning.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Raider2000

For the money the Pietta '58 in either blued steel or stainless would be your best bet & the one that SG has there is about the best price going right now "I'd jump on it if'n I hadn't bought my Uberti not too long ago" but I keep my lil Pietta '58 with it's 5.5 inch barrel loaded with 30gr. of FFFG Goex & a 220gr. .456 Lee conical & it has the same velocity & energy as a .45 Schofield in that barrel, you can squeeze 36gr. FFFG in there & the 220gr. conical for almost the same power as a .45 Colt but she is a bit less accurate with that load & a little violent in the hand.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:51 PM   #10
grymster2007

Hurry up and buy SG's Pietta before I commit an act detrimental to the matrimonial bliss I currently enjoy.

I am not a shill
Old October 14, 2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Shotgun Willy

You can get the top strap and the Colt grips, with the Uberti 1873 model. I don't think you can do a conversion cylinder with it though, and I don't know about stainless.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:14 PM   #12
? ? ? ?

well i think im gonna go for a stainless 58 remmy from cabellas its more than i want to spend but what the hell im going for it. i really dont like the look of the blued steel so im gonna stick with stainless. i have a link to the two guns the one is the remmy the other is a colt, the only thing holding me back from buying a colt is i was told due to it not having a top strap that the barrel will soon become loose and need fixing, and i do not know how to do this. as i am still a noob. here are the links. oh by the way these guns are not for compotition they are for protection in the wilderness of alaska.(so keeping this in mind what do u sugest long barrel or should i stick with the 5.5)?

#1,,,http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=68899

#2,,,http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true

and this is the colt,,,,http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20817&rid=

also i will have a rifle this is a link to the rifle i bought and man do i love it!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...815&hasJS=true

and the best part is it is on sale right now only $199.99!!! i only use 777 .50 cal pellets in this rifle.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:21 PM   #13
? ? ? ?

shotgun willie thank you i think i could settle for blued steel if it has those grips and a top strap. do you have a link to where i can buy this gun?
Old October 14, 2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Raider2000

A 5.5" barrel will be quicker & easier out of the holster but the 8" barrel will be a little more accurate & powerful because of the extra length, it all really depends on what you are looking for.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:27 PM   #15
? ? ? ?

well i figured the pistol would be for protection from wolves and my rifle would be for hunting for food.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Hawg

The 73 doesn't have the same grip frame as the cap and ball guns do. That bit about Colt barrels getting loose is poppycock. The only thing about them beginners don't seem to understand is the barrel wedge doesn't get driven all the way in on reassembly. The cap and ball 73 can be permanently converted to cartridge but it requires a gunsmith. Conversion cylinders for regular cap and balls cost more than the guns do and you're limited to bp pressures. Also they only hold five rounds and for the cheap route the cylinder has to be removed for loading.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:41 PM   #17
? ? ? ?

hey Hawg Haggen, thanx for the info so let me get this strait when u reasenble the colt u do NOT push the wedge in all the way?
Old October 14, 2008, 02:42 PM   #18
Raider2000

Well I like my little 5.5" barreled Remington copy but I also have 2 8" barreled ones too, & don't forget that Wild Bill Hickock used 2 Colt 1851 Navy's with 7.5" barrels to defend his hide more than once.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:46 PM   #19
Raider2000

As far as the wedge on the Colt type of revolvers all you need is to have the wedge in roughly hand pressure "just enough to have the wedge on the other side of the barrel assembly but loose enough to let the cylinder rotate, I learned how to dissassemble & reassemble a Colt 1851 Navy when I was 6 so I know that most people with a little patience, tiral & error can too.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:50 PM   #20
? ? ? ?

well thank you all for your help this has been like another day back at school,lol, only this time i am learning something i find fun. now that i know the truth about the colts i will decide on a final colt model i wish to own and shoot.how about one of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true
Old October 14, 2008, 03:00 PM   #21
Hawg

The cylinder gap determines how far the wedge goes. A new gun the wedge will just be a tiny tad past flush on the off side. An older gun with a lot of use on it may need to go in further. Those are nice looking guns but that gold will wear off pretty quick with holster carry. Those aren't stainless either just polished steel. Here's mine. I prefer it over my Remingtons.

Old October 14, 2008, 03:13 PM   #22
Smokin_Gun

Buy it!

Quote:
shotgun willie thank you i think i could settle for blued steel if it has those grips and a top strap. do you have a link to where i can buy this gun?

???? get that SS 1858 Rem from Cabelas you won't be sorry...either length will be fine to suite your needs, your preferance.

Go get it....

I like Colts I jus' like Rems Better.....these are what I been sellin'

SG
Old October 14, 2008, 03:52 PM   #23
? ? ? ?

i have decided! ok this is what i am going to do. but first i want to thank you all for your help and imput. ok i am going to buy 1 1858 5.5" rem, and next month i will buy this one..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&id=0006191
Old October 14, 2008, 04:23 PM   #24
Smokin_Gun

You Da Man ????, I had a used one but it was all shot out...
Thank you for reminding me, the U.S. Marshal will be on my Priority 1 "New" Want List.

SG
Old October 14, 2008, 04:27 PM   #25
? ? ? ?

hey sg u still got the old shot out one? if u do and ur willing to part with it i would be willing to give u some $ for it, i could use a good spinning gun for my holloween costume this year.