The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2002, 04:48 PM   #1
Fatelvis

bedding by "wiping"?

I read on Zedikers website, than a competitive M1A should be taken out of its stock little, if at all, and fired a maximum of 1500 rnds max, before needing a "wiping-coat of epoxy, to refurbish the bedding", for best accuracy. Do you agree with this, and if so, is the wiping something I can do at home? Is it tough?(Im handy, but not a gunsmith) Thanx guys-
Old May 31, 2002, 08:11 PM   #2
HankL

Elvis, What they are talking about is skim bedding. All of the metal work has already been done but you will still need to clay dam and use a release agent of you choice. 1500 rounds is a number that is just plain out there.
This is something that you can do at home but you will want a few gizzies to do it with. How often do you shoot your M1A's bedding out?
Old June 1, 2002, 09:02 AM   #3
Fatelvis

Hank, thanks for the response. I`m coming up on or at, 1500 rnds, and Ive taken the action out of the stock twice (due to rain). What "gizmos" do I need, and would it be safe to use my rifle as a first time "Guinea Pig"? Thanx
Old June 1, 2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Joe Portale

Elvis,

If you can use epoxy and not glue your ears together, you can handle this. Patience is all you need. Read the instructions that come with the bedding compound. Did the web article say if the bedding needs to be thinner than normally mixed?

Also, post thae web page you are refering to, I would like to take a gander at it.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old June 2, 2002, 01:36 PM   #5
Fatelvis

The website is www.zediker.com click "article downloads" on the left hand side. Scroll down to M14 maintenance, part three (finishing up), and click onto the little page. Joe, its great reading for the AR or M14 shooter.