The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 31, 2017, 07:54 PM   #26
rickyrick

My main problem is the poorly written article. My small amount of Troy products have been quality. I would assume that a Troy upper would be much higher quality than Anderson. No doubt that and Anderson upper would function very well, probably not as pretty.
I haven't ordered from ctd in years.
I'm very wary of PSA after two attempts from one of their employees to empty my bank.
I just use a burner card when dealing with them.

Last edited by rickyrick; September 1, 2017 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 1, 2017, 12:46 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm very wary of PSA after to attempts from one of their employees to empty my bank.
Funny you mention this--I recently had a similar experience with a very reputable reloading supplier when they insisted my debit card wasn't accepting a charge--I was tracking the charges at my bank while the customer representative told me over the phone that the charges were being refused. She kept resubmitting the same charge and my account quickly went into over-drawn.

I've experienced this more than once--and here's what I think is going on.

Many firearms related on-line merchants use canned e-cart applications to do business--probably most of their business. In the check-out section they usually ask for a billing address and a shipping address (some applications require they both be the same). Some of these will not process a P.O. Box submission, presumably for security reasons., or because their delivery service won't service that P.O. Box address. Also, I live on a private rural drive that receives no postal delivery service.

I\m fairly certain that the majority of these applications tie into a Postal Service address database in the process of the check-out for verification--and some of them will refuse to process the order completely if the address you submit is not in that database. Naturally, if you do not receive service from the USPS, your address will trip a rejection. The kicker is, the e-cart application will have already submitted the charge info to the card bank before tripping on the address check.

It gets quite irritating when you try to explain that over the phone while the CS person obstinately refuses to stop resubmitting the charges. The company never admitted an error (though my bank did get the charges refunded) and my bank backed me up with all the charge transaction numbers. I reluctantly requested the company purge all my customer info and informed them I would never do business with them again; they are a top supplier I used for a long time, but that's the way it goes these days I guess.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 1, 2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old September 2, 2017, 10:33 AM   #28
hdwhit

Quote:
turtlehead wrote:
Some believe that shooting a woman holding a baby is a bad thing.
I agree.

But when you choose to remain with someone who is making and selling sawed off shotguns when the ATF comes to arrest him and he chooses to resist, well, what happens next is pretty much a tragedy of your own making.
Old September 2, 2017, 10:38 AM   #29
hdwhit

Quote:
rickyrick wrote:
My main problem is the poorly written article.
If the article were "journalism" in any sense of the word, I would agree that it was poorly written, but the article was advocacy and not in any way attempting to present an objective account.

Whenever I come across a site purporting to offer "The Truth About [fill in the blank]", I know that while it may have some content that is factually accurate, it will, on the whole, be presenting anything but the truth.
Old September 2, 2017, 05:39 PM   #30
turtlehead

@hdwhit

We'll have to disagree on this one.
Old September 5, 2017, 05:00 PM   #31
Fishbed77

Quote:
If the article were "journalism" in any sense of the word, I would agree that it was poorly written, but the article was advocacy and not in any way attempting to present an objective account.

Whenever I come across a site purporting to offer "The Truth About [fill in the blank]", I know that while it may have some content that is factually accurate, it will, on the whole, be presenting anything but the truth.
Troy's hiring misadventures were well-reported a few years back. There are many better (and better-researched) articles than the poorly-written one that was linked earlier in this thread.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:20 AM   #32
zukiphile

Quote:
From the limited hands on I have had with Anderson stuff... They seem good, but not quite as nice as other options.

A little rougher overall, and the finish isn't as nice. So made right for the most part, just not pretty. I have seen the odd comment here and there that the anodizing on their stuff isn't as tough as some of the other brands. I don't know if that is accurate, as I don't have extensive experience with Anderson.
I have a bunch of Anderson lowers and uppers partly because I am fond of the upper without dust cover or forward assist. I've no complaints.

I don't completely understand the very expensive and exquisitely finished AR15 the same way I don't completely understand a $2000 10/22. I've overdone it with a 10/22, but thought I'd lost the theme of economy in the process.

The AR design has the virtues of lightweight, durability, accuracy, utility and a reasonable price. Expensive parts and lavish finishes threaten the last two virtues, imo.