The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 9, 2016, 12:11 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Silencerco Hybrid

I'm considering a first purchase and this looks like a possibility. The primary use will be on an Encore Carbine. 45/70 mostly, 357 max probably, maybe 460 sw.

Future possibility to be used for 6.5 and 30 cal rifles. Might even hang it off a 9mm pistol for fun.

I can't see claims of it coming apart for cleaning, so rimfire would be a bad idea. Muzzleloader worse. Has anyone used a silencer with a muzlle loader? Must be a mess.

In the longterm probably have other models with smaller diameter bores for rimfires and pistols.

Anyone knowwhat makes this model more suitable to other calibers than other models suitable for 45/70?

Anyone have one?
Anyone sold one?
Anyone have an idea for price?

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 10, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old January 16, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

New product I guess...
Old January 17, 2016, 02:01 AM   #3
Theohazard

Yep, I still haven't seen one. Our shop has some on order though.
Old January 17, 2016, 08:22 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Any idea what you are going to retail them at?
Old January 17, 2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Theohazard

No idea, sorry.
Old June 11, 2016, 02:46 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Anyone had their hands on one yet?

I am also looking at the Griffin Optimus. Looks like it can do a whole lot more out of the box. The finish is Melonite. It is user serviceable. Reduces in size to be used for pistol and other low pressure situations.

SiCo has an incredible reputation for standing behind their products and the Hybrid is rated to handle several higher pressure cartridges I don't expect to be shooting.

Those of you with a lot of experience with suppressors think this is a gimmicky fad or that the multi-cartridge suppressor is a breakthrough?

I always get sucked into the modular/flexible/do anything product lines. The best have worked well enough I kept them around, but none worked as well as I had hoped.
Old June 11, 2016, 02:51 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I will add that my purchase will need to handle 357 max for sure. I have a message out to Griffin Armament asking whether the Optimus can handle it as it is not specified, but it should be able to handle it.
40,000+ which exceeds 45 ACP and 9mm+P.
Old June 11, 2016, 05:20 PM   #8
9x19

You might try the Silencer Talk forums for more info, and I think I saw one in the local shop last week, but didn't ask the price. One on-line shop has it listed at $899
Old June 11, 2016, 07:11 PM   #9
Theohazard

We've sold a bunch of these silencers since this thread was started, and we're selling them faster than we can get them in. I like the universality of this can: It will work with basically any handgun or pistol round .46 caliber on down. Apparently it can even handle the pressure of .338 Lapua.

To me, at 14 ounces it's a little heavy for pistol use. And if you don't plan to shoot any rifle calibers bigger than .30 then there are better options out there. But if you want a big-bore rifle silencer than can do double-duty on a pistol -- or you just want to buy one silencer and be done with it -- then the Hybrid is a great option.
Old June 12, 2016, 10:15 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Good info Theo.
No experience with the optimus?

I've read a bit on other forums. Not many posts concerning either.
Suppressor tech is making leaps and bounds(compared to the rest of the industry). These are basically first gen in a new category. With so little info I am thinking it might be bet to wait a year and see what improvements are made.
Old July 12, 2016, 10:07 AM   #11
40CalGuy

got mine about a month ago now, having bought it right after it was released. it comes with the pistol piston housing and the direct thread 5/8x24 rifle mount. if you have any of the ASR brakes or flash hiders, you'll need the ASR mount adapter. you'll also need whatever pistol caliber pistons for your platforms that you intend to use.

i have also an Osprey45 and an Omega for my rifle and pistol platforms. I can confirm that the Hybrid is indeed heavy on a pistol. I've set it up on my FNX45 Tactical, G19 suppressor host and also my CZ EVO Scorpion and Ruger Precision.

it's not impossible to manage on the pistol platforms, but it's not ideal due to weight. i only use it on my pistols when I take multiple pistol hosts out and someone else is running the Osprey45 on another host. it's nice to have the second pistol can that i can move to any pistol host.

on shoulder fired weapons it's much better as the weight is easier to manage. obviously, it can throw the balance of the platform off, due to weight.

it's meant to be a multi-use can. it does that well. the trade off is in the weight. you have to be willing to accept that.
Old July 16, 2016, 08:31 PM   #12
smee78

This looks like just the can for me, I have been thinking about a rifle can and this may be it. I like the range of options that this can be run on and would be a great catch all for a rifle.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:53 AM   #13
MagnumWill

A friend of mine is waiting for his stamp for one (it should be any day now, he put in back in February) and I'm one of his trustees. If we get the chance we'll do an evaluation on our .300BLK pistols as well as my 1911.