The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 12:43 PM   #51
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Same grip. Same trigger. Not three different guns with possibly different trigger pulls, but the same one, every time. And, its a nice, light, crisp, and creep free trigger, if you have it adjusted correctly.
That is a very good point.

Correct, the Contender does not have those Calibers it is the Encore. That was just an example and I believe it was done on several other calibers.

I just hope the buyers market is as excited about the TC switch barrels as you all when I go to sell mine next year.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:45 PM   #52
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
But I'll still keep looking for that $200 Ruger #1 458 Wunxhester I want.
I skipped this in a previous reply.
458 WInchester. $5 a pop for factory ammo
The factory rifles chambered in it run about $1500.
It is a perfect cartridge for a T/C switch barrel.
And it is, IMO, an odd ball caliber. None of my LGS are going to have it on the shelf. No one I know owns one. A whole year could pass without anyone shooting one at my local range.
If you want a 458 winchester on the cheap, which makes me assume you reload, then go for a TC switch barrel.

30/06, then there are better cheaper options.

The three barrels in a bag didn't work for me. In fact storing in soft cases didn't work well.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:36 PM   #53
DLM

I have owned and shot Contenders for many years. Shot NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouettes for about 10 years, with great success. Also have used them for Deer hunting, with absolute fantastic success. The guns just simply shoot, with the greatest of accuracy.

I have 4 frames all with trigger work. All trigger components were hard chromed and then polished and honed to precise standards.

Barrels,
22 LR 10 in. Iron sighted
22 LR 10 in w/Burris 1.5 to 4 Scoped
32 H&R Mag. 10 in. Iron sighted
32 H&R Mag. 10 in. Burris 1.5 to 4 Scoped
30 Herrett 10 in.Iron sighted
6.5 mm TCU 14 in. Burris 2.5 to 7 Scoped
7 mm TCU 10 in. Iron sighted
250 Savage 15 in. Iron sighted (Custom Barrel)
357 10 in. Iron sighted
41 Rem. Mag. 14 in. Iron sighted

The 22's and 32's were used in the NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette matches with great success. I managed AAA status across the board.

The scoped 6.5 mm TCU was used in IMSA unlimited class, and is a great Deer killer. Achieved 2200 FPS w/Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets. Accuracy is sub 1 inch groups at 200 yds.

In my case the Contender was a great competition gun, as well as a very effective hunting gun. As a fun gun for recreational shooting, the Contender has no peer. Pick your caliber. They are all quite accurate with proper Ammo. DLM
Old September 30, 2017, 10:51 PM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
458 WInchester. ...

It is a perfect cartridge for a T/C switch barrel.

If you want a 458 winchester on the cheap, which makes me assume you reload, then go for a TC switch barrel.

If you're going for a .458 in a gun as light as an Encore, better get that barrel with one HECK of a good brake on it!!!!

I have a .458 Win Mag. In a custom Mauser. And yes, I do handload for it.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:35 PM   #55
johnwilliamson062

One of my buttstocks has a fair amount of lead in it. The fore end has a bit also. Always easy to make a gun heavier. Brake works also. Personally, I'm not in the market at all, but if I was a T/C switch barrel would be a definite consideration.

Quote:
I have 4 frames all with trigger work.
Why 4 frames instead of one?
This is something I have noticed about the T/C fans on the two sights I listed. Most of them have quite a few frames and don't change their barrels on the guns they shoot a lot. They seem to have a bunch of dedicated set-ups and one or two frames they switch for the barrels they don't shoot much.

Quote:
32 H&R Mag. 10 in. Iron sighted
32 H&R Mag. 10 in. Burris 1.5 to 4 Scoped
30 Herrett 10 in.Iron sighted
6.5 mm TCU 14 in. Burris 2.5 to 7 Scoped
7 mm TCU 10 in. Iron sighted
250 Savage 15 in. Iron sighted (Custom Barrel)
I'd list all of these as oddball calibers. Can't find ammo locally, almost no one makes a gun chambered in them now. The TCUs and herrett are wildcats. If you wan't to shoot one of these a T'C switch is the platform to do it in, but you probably wouldn't come to a forum and ask if it is a good firearm purchase or not without mentioning one of those calibers.

22lr with 10 inch barrel.
41 rem mag isn't easy to find, especially in a 14" barrel. Production seems to go in runs and availability is spotty even in shorter barrels.

I'm really surprised all but one of those barrels are T/C. Most people who own lots of barrels seem to quickly move to the custom makers. Actually, almost all those barrels are third party, aren't they? The wildcats must be.
I bet your stocks are custom also.
And all that trigger work.
Far away from a stock gun others are talking about.

None of the TC factory barrels I have owned were bad, but they also weren't great. My TC muzzle loader is much better. The 45/70 has one factory load it shoots REALLY accurately. The rest of the barrels are kind of blah across the board.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; September 30, 2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:48 PM   #56
darkgael

Quote:
list all of these as oddball calibers.
Oddball calibers?
Since when are .311”, .308”, .264”, .284”, and .257” odball calibers? There are plenty of cartridges made in each of those calibers and guns for them.
Old October 10, 2017, 01:25 AM   #57
saleen322

I have two contender frames, bought both used with barrels. Like I am guessing a lot of people looking for a specific barrel, sometimes you come across a package deal that includes a frame. I bought used 3 barrels and a frame for under $400 once so now I have two frames. I competed in silhouette in the 80s and 90s and found the contenders to be very accurate and I won a lot of matches with a 7 TCU.

No gun is all things to all people. I am an accuracy guy and with the exception of my Pardini Free Pistol (a single shot also BTW), the contenders are consistently near the top of the most accurate handguns I have. If you go after center fire accuracy you have to handload so the fact that a barrel may be a wildcat is meaningless. Plus the TCU series is based on the 223 Rem case which is some of the easiest and cheapest brass to come by and the 30-30 and Herrets use the 30-30 another very common case, etc. If a person handgun hunts or likes to shoot handguns accurately at distance, they will understand. YMMV
Old October 10, 2017, 05:41 AM   #58
darkgael

Two barrels that I have always wanted: 30 Herrett and the 7mm TCU.
Old October 10, 2017, 08:06 PM   #59
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Oddball calibers?
Since when are .311”, .308”, .264”, .284”, and .257” odball calibers? There are plenty of cartridges made in each of those calibers and guns for them.
Engineer or accountant? I know, the grey hurts the eyes.

If most people at the range have never heard of the CARTRIDGE it is an oddball for sure in my book. If no gun shop in my city carries the ammo it is an oddball. Re-loader only wildcats are well into that category.

The TC switch barrels are great for accuracy re-loaders, for people with too much money, and very few others.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:35 PM   #60
gemihur

I love my contender

Old February 8, 2018, 09:38 PM   #61
gemihur

I love my contender.

TC's are the Bees Knees
Old February 8, 2018, 11:17 PM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

Nice rifle.

wrong forum.