The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 21, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1
musicman

Reason for new nipples

I've noticed a number of posts that talked of buying Tresco nipples, and wondered if there is anything better about aftermarkets like these? Thanks for the education, John
Old April 21, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2
FrontierGander

are these the brass looking nipples? If so, the one i bought lasted maybe 60 to 75 shots. I had to replace it as 4 of the 5 threads on the nipple Broke off

get yourself a good stainless steel nipple.
Old April 21, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Indian Outlaw

They are called "Treso," I believe. I haven't used them, but many people love them.
Old April 21, 2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

All the revolvers that I shoot have Treso nipples on them. They are an Ampco bronze material that are more uniform is shape and have a smaller flash hole than stock nipples. The smaller flash hole reduces blowback when the charge is ignited, and the uniform shape optimizes the cap/nipple combination used. I've got hundreds of rounds fired through my revolvers with Treso nipples and the only ones that had to replaced were mushroomed cause the hammer was hitting them. Once I dressed the hammer properly, the problem went away.

How did your nipple(s) only last 60-75 shots frontiergander?

Now, if you're talkin a single shot rifle or pistol, YMMV.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 21, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
FrontierGander

the threads on the nipple basically just broke right off. This was on my cva mountain stalker. I checked out the drum threads and the are all clean. This nipple failed,

Old April 21, 2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Defective nipple??? It happens. You should get hundreds, if not thousands of shots through it before it fails. Send it back for a replacement & see what the supplier says.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:16 PM   #7
FrontierGander

i threw it out. I am using the stainless steel, knight 'hotshot?" nipple and the spitsfire nipple on my 2 sidelocks now.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:28 PM   #8
joelberg

Where do you buy these nipples at? I've just got stock and they seem to be working quite decently, but I'd be interested in "upgrading"
Old April 21, 2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples-cb.html
Old April 22, 2009, 06:47 AM   #10
CaptainCrossman

I put new stainless nipples on my 1858 Remington Navy Arms repro, about 15 years ago. The originals were soft and mushroomed, and the caps wouldn't go on anymore. Since then I've had zero problems with caps/nipples- also the caps stay on the nipples better, they are slightly larger in size.

Other than being soft/mushrooming out, the other reason to change nipples is a more correct size, so they hold the cap without falling off- and also for a smaller charge hole inside, so the blast of firing the gun, doesn't blow the hammer back. Last time I shot my Colt 1851, it was blowing the hammer back to badly, it cycled the cylinder to the next chamber, and the hammer was resting half way on the next chamber's cap.

Years ago, while shooting a short-barrel 1851 Navy "Sheriffs" model, I experienced hammer blowback so severe, it cycled the gun to next chamber and fired it again automatically, like a semi-automatic.

I pulled the trigger once, it went "boom-boom" and 2 shots were fired.

This is a perfect example of improper half-aszed engineering, or lack of engineering, by the foreign mfrs. The guns should have stainless nipples from the factory, with the proper charge hole size to prevent blowback, and there should be no cap jams- not in guns costing $300-$400.

the American shooter/consumer has let these overseas mfrs. get away with murder, and when word finally gets around just how bad the quality of these guns is, their sales are going to suffer. They need to wise up, and fix some things. They've been shipping a lot of junk guns, for a long time.

BTW the stainless nipples I put on the 1858, were sold by a company called "Uncle Mikes"- but I don't know if they still carry them- they were a SUPERIOR product, way better than the Italian installed nipples

http://www.gunaccessories.com/UncleMikes/holsters.asp
Old April 22, 2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Indian Outlaw

the American shooter/consumer has let these overseas mfrs. get away with murder, and when word finally gets around just how bad the quality of these guns is, their sales are going to suffer. They need to wise up, and fix some things. They've been shipping a lot of junk guns, for a long time.

I am pretty impressed with my Cimarron/Uberti forged frame Remington. The lines are sharp, the timing is good, the cylinder gap is fine, and the screws are hard (believe it or not). Also the new grip shape is an improvement over that of the older cast frame Remingtons. Sure, the cylinder steel is soft, and so I loosened the bolt/trigger spring screw a third of a turn to lessen the force of the bolt striking the cylinder (a trick I learned from the "Old Coots" on the Voy BP forum). I'll probably thin the spring a bit for a more permanent solution. All in all, though, this is the best Italian cap & ball Remington I've handled, and that includes the fine Lymans from the 70's. Perhaps Beretta has lit a fire under Uberti's derriere.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:00 AM   #12
azsixshooter

Quote:
Reason for new nipples
Because you are sick of your current girlfriend?
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old April 22, 2009, 06:03 PM   #13
AdmiralB

I'll probably buy replacement nipples at some point, but not for performance reasons...it'll be because the nipples on my guns - all Ubertis, all made in 2007 or 2008 - have nipples that are at least three different sizes.

Each gun (or replacement cylinder) has nipples of uniform size, but the sets vary quite a bit. Some hold Remington #10s fine, most are so small that the caps have to be pinched substantially.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:16 PM   #14
musicman

Many thanks to all. A good way to get an education. John

By the way, you should have seen the look I got when I told my wife I had to have a nipple wrench. It really went down hill when I said the one I got was too big and I had to have a smaller one!
Old April 22, 2009, 06:25 PM   #15
FrontierGander

just tell her... I said nipple WRENCH not nipple WENCH.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #16
arcticap

What a set-up!

"Yuck, it's Peter's!! Now bring Stewie a better nipple & wench!"

Last edited by arcticap; April 22, 2009 at 07:30 PM.