The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 7, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1
MauserKitten

Mossberg 44US (b) rifle info needed

I was just given a Mossberg Model 44US(b) rifle by my father. All he knows is that his father had owned it. I'm having quite a time trying to find information about it, mainly when it was made. No serial number seems to be on it. The trigger handle says "Reg. in Canada 1938 O.F. Mossberg" and "USA PATDES. 11072(0?)". It has a Mossberg Microclick S-100 rear sight, and the front sight is a fixed post with '.47' on it. The only other marking I can find is on the barrel, left hand side, right next to the stock, what looks like a cross between an 'N' and a 'T'. All the parts are original, and pristene except the bluing is pretty much gone. If anyone has any information on when this might have been made, or any other info about it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Can't wait to take it out to the range!
Old June 8, 2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The only thing I have is attached. If you ever care to part with it, I would be most gratful to have the oppertunity to buy it.

HJN
Old June 8, 2004, 10:16 AM   #3
MauserKitten

Thanks for the attachment. I'm not sure exactly why it is so hard to find information on this particular model, but half the excitement is in the hunt anyway!
As for parting with it, I've got the feeling that this one will be handed on to my sons once they reach age.. but until then, mom is going to enjoy it as much as i can!
Old June 8, 2004, 03:03 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

My thoughts exactly: If you would like the dissassem w/photos I can email them to you

HJN
Old June 8, 2004, 05:54 PM   #5
MauserKitten

That would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 9, 2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Crimper-D

The definative source for all things Mossberg is:

www.havlinsales.com
They sell replacement parts for nearly every model that Mossberg ever made, including the M44US
Good news = they are now selling a repro of the Mossberg scope mount of that time period that will fit the 44US.
I've had one of these since the 60's bought it at a Govt. surplus sale for $20... Then joined the Navy and shot one at the Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes Ill. - obviously these specemins were in continuous use since WWII = still shot good enough to qualify with.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Orentruitt

Mossy 44 rear sight

Where can I find parts for the S-100 microclick sight? I just bought a 44 and some idiot had removed the windage adjustment parts.