The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2001, 01:32 PM   #1
Desert Dog

I can't seem to find an exploded parts diagram or disassembly procedure for this weapon. It is of a similar design to a Winchester 1897, but I have never seen a Marlin 42 before. Anyone?

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old March 24, 2001, 09:50 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DD, the only place I can think of is Marlin Firearms by William Brophy and it doesn't tell you much. I have a Model 49 that I have been restoring for 5 years. I've never found an exploded view or any assembly instructions for it either. The book will help but not $75 worth and that's what it cost me when I got it a few years ago. Marlin will be of no help at all. The book does have a few mechanical drawings that will help you but no real detail. George
Old March 25, 2001, 09:46 AM   #3
Desert Dog

Thanks George

I took the plunge and disassembled it last night. I was expecting horror like when I took a 1890 Winchester apart too far one time , but it went very well. Unfortunately a lot more of the finish is gone from the metal than I originally thought. By just wiping it down with Sheath, most of the surface rust has been removed... along with a lot of thin blue. No significant dark rust anywhere.

The action seems tight, headspace from what I can tell is still very decent. It has a 2 3/4" chamber and the barrel is immaculate and shiny. The gun was made in 1909. (I found a date stamp on one of the interior parts)

George, do you think it can handle modern, normal bird shot loads? Of course the first time I shoot it, will be remotely...

I think it would make a decent Cowboy Shooting pump shotgun because when I first saw it I thought it was a Winchester 1897...

Thanks again George.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old March 26, 2001, 10:56 AM   #4
banjobart

One of our Internet Marlin experts says that the Model 42 was made from 1922-1933, the last of a series of Marlin pumps. That is patent date on that internal part, my 42 has it, too. Marlin warns people not to shoot their hammered pump shotguns.

Make sure that the secondary sear is working. It should hold the hammer back while cycling the bolt. If a shell is fired without the bolt being locked up you will need a surgeon. The secondary sear spring easily rusts out and can be replaced with a .020" x .125" x .625" piece of spring steel or coping saw blade.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Desert Dog

Parts on the inside of this 42 were date stamped May, 1909.

The secondary sear seems to be working... It is weird though that it has a release for the slide below and to the right of the trigger, and then another "button" on the side of the receiver on the left front that ALSO releases the slide. The gun is tight, it was just filthy. The bore is still shiny. It has some marks on the ejection port like someone was trying to pry it open.

Old March 19, 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Biker52

Marlin Mod.# 42

This message is to Dessert dog. I own a Marlin Mod# 42. What can you tell me about it. What is it worth?
Old March 19, 2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Goatwhiskers

No personal knowledge, but you might want to check chamber depth. Back in the day a lot of stuff wasn't standardized and a number of guns are out there chambered for less than 2 3/4" shells. Just sayin'. Goatwhiskers