The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
cycleguru

classified post gone today

I posted a gun for sale on 12-10-09. It was there when I left the shop that day, but today it's gone. I think I meet all the criteria to post there. Did I do something wrong?
Old December 15, 2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Bud Helms

A gun.

Handgun or rifle/shotgun? They are different forums.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Yup. Found it. Deleted for no location in the title. It's in the rules for posting in The Gun Show.
Old December 15, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4
cycleguru

OK. I'll try again. Thanks
Old February 1, 2010, 01:38 PM   #5
69MachOne

So are ALL posts that do not list the state going to be deleted?
Old February 1, 2010, 01:41 PM   #6
hoytinak

Quote:
Here's the rules for posting in the classified sections (#2 is the one about the location): http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...81&postcount=1
Old February 1, 2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Bingo.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 13, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
smee78

How about instead of deleting the post a friendly reminder is sent to the op and that way the post can be fixed instead of wasting alot of time relisting the item? If you dont tell the op what is wrong with the post how does he know what he/she is doing wrong? I had about 6 post deleted yesterday and dont know how I had them worded and had I known what I did wrong I would of just gone in there and fixed what ever it was that was wrong. I did not even get a e-mail/pm letting me know that my post was deleted or why they were deleted.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78
How about instead of deleting the post a friendly reminder is sent to the op and that way the post can be fixed instead of wasting alot of time relisting the item? If you dont tell the op what is wrong with the post how does he know what he/she is doing wrong? I had about 6 post deleted yesterday and dont know how I had them worded and had I known what I did wrong I would of just gone in there and fixed what ever it was that was wrong. I did not even get a e-mail/pm letting me know that my post was deleted or why they were deleted.

No offense, but if the OP spent a little time reading the forum rules, it would waste a lot less of everyone's time.

I mean, the thread title is:

FORUM RULES - all must read before posting in this forum

and it's at the top of every sub-forum in the Buy/Sell section.

I don't think it's terribly logical to insist that the Mods waste their time sending you a PM so that you don't waste your time rewriting a post that you wouldn't have to rewrite if you'd read the rules first.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:19 PM   #10
smee78

Your right, no one ever makes a mistake.
Old March 13, 2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"How about instead of deleting the post a friendly reminder is sent to the op and that way the post can be fixed instead of wasting alot of time relisting the item?"

How about not?

This is how things have been at gun show for at least 6 months, and it was instituted because of MANY member requests.

Numerous warnings and reminders were posted in the forums themselves. It's part of the gun show rules, which everyone did read before they put their first post in gun show. Right?

You have to spend what, maybe 5 minutes relisting the deleted item? Look at it from the moderator's side. We may spend 2 minutes sending you a friendly reminder. And 2 minutes for the next guy. And 2 minutes for the next guy. And 2 minutes for the next guy. And 2 minutes for the next guy, and so forth and so on.

Sure, it may be 5 minutes of annoyance for you, but it very well could be an hour or more of wasted time and annoyance for the mod who has to send that friendly reminder to all the mistaken members who don't bother to include their location. It's NOT a trivial number on any given day.

All of the mods here are volunteers. Most of us have full-time jobs or other activities that demand our attention, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 13, 2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

To put some numbers to the statement Mike just made, I went back and looked at two pages of threads in each of the three Gun Show forums. In those few pages there were 22 threads deleted because the poster failed to include their location.

It's a simple rule, and easy to fix if you do make a mistake. The problem is that quite a few don't bother to read the rules, and if they have, they don't bother to proof read their threads, or they don't bother correcting them if they do spot an error. To be honest, we have very little compassion for any of those traits.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Reminds me of a great story:

A friend of mine just returned from a cruise. They were at port for a day and she had the chance to go zip-lining through a section of jungle. The instructor at the beginning of the payment process provided a disclaimer, "DO NOT WEAR FLIP-FLOPS/THONGS FOR SHOES". All the way up the trail, there were at LEAST three signs stating, "DO NOT WEAR FLIP-FLOPS/THONGS FOR SHOES". When she reached the top and was waiting for her turn, here comes, you guessed it, a gal wearing flip-flops. When the instructor told her she had two choices: Head back without a refund or they wrap her flip-flops to her feet with electrical tape. She went ballistic blaming everyone else but herself.

I think we provide PLENTY of warnings through the header bars of EACH forum and sticky posts. I'm more than willing to help out fellow members here. However, lack of planning on ones' part does not constitute an emergency on ours.

Old March 14, 2010, 04:40 AM   #14
smee78

If 22 people forgot to put location and mods had to go in and delete 22 post why not just drop the location part of posting an item for sale? If a member wants info about the item for sale he/she can ask the person selling it.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:19 AM   #15
Bud Helms

The requirement to post your location is an aid to those shopping in the BS&T forums, so they don't need to open a thread to know what state the advert is from. TFL went a long time without the location-in-title requirement. It is a fairly new requirement. If all members put their state of residence in their basic info that is displayed below their username and kept it current, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:49 AM   #16
golfballshootr

I don't mean to step on any person's feelings as I am new to TFL, but, why is anyone evening questioning why we can't do this or can't do that? The rules are there, they are set up, and it is incumbent on each of us, as members, to follow those rules that are set forth. No, I don't think there is even any room to question why we can't have it our way.

I don't think we ask the trooper to give us leniency as he writes a ticket for speeding, because everyone was going 10 over the speed limit, well in fact, why don't we just make the speed limit higher??

Probably a poor analogy, but I see no reason to question the rules myself.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If 22 people forgot to put location and mods had to go in and delete 22 post why not just drop the location part of posting an item for sale? If a member wants info about the item for sale he/she can ask the person selling it."

How about we just get rid of the for sale pages altogether so we don't have this discussion in the future?

Is it really that much of a hardship to ask members to read the posting rules and abide by them?

If someone does have a post deleted, they've just learned a very valuable lesson -- failure to follow the rules has definite consequences.

Simply put...

The requirement to put the location in thread title is going to remain. Threads that don't follow the rules will be deleted.

Don't like it? There are many, many forums on the web where you can post sale items in any manner or format you wish.

Ultimately, it comes down to this.

TFL's sales forums have simple rules, and those rules are enforced. The sales forums are an extra benefit to contributing members. Not an entitlement.

Old March 14, 2010, 11:07 AM   #18
Mal H
Staff

... and in addition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78
If 22 people forgot to put location ...
That also means that approximately 378 people followed the required rules.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:08 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

You know, I lost count of how many people we had who requested that people put their locations in the for sale threads before we made it a rule. It wasn't a massive number, but I think it's safe to say it was more than a dozen over past year or so.

So far, as far as I know, only ONE person has requested that the rule be dropped.

Most people, when they find out that their for sale post has been deleted, and find out WHY it has been deleted, simply say "Oh, I'm sorry, I'll be sure to follow the rules next time."

Old March 14, 2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss as to why a seller wouldn't WANT their location in the title. It makes no sense to me.
Old March 14, 2010, 03:40 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss as to why a seller wouldn't WANT their location in the title.
Thats simple pizza, One person feels that it is too hard to admit he would rather not read and/or obey the posted rules and feels he can do a service to similar folks by campaigning to have the rule repealed...
Brent
Old March 14, 2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think the OP's question has been answered fairly thoroughly.

One other note: In case a search is made in the future on this subject matter and this thread comes up, post count isn't the same as post history. The post count (located under the member's handle) is the number used to meet one aspect of Gun Show eligibility. The members' posting history is not used since posts in the Gun Show forums do not add to the post count. The only exception is the Feedback forum.

Closed.

Closed Thread