The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 13, 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
smince

Women/spouses who CCW

When my wife made the commitment to CCW, I purchased her a couple of Galco purses' with the built-in holster compartment. That was nearly 13 years ago. They have held up well (Galco quality). She is in the market for a new one.

Can anyone comment on Coronado leather (those who have actually used their product) or another good mfg? She has a few other good holsters, but for day-to-day the purse gets the most use.

Thanks.
Old September 15, 2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Rob P.

I'd say that if you've used the Galco's and they've worn well over 13 years, you should look at the Coronado ones and judge them based on the workmanship & quality in the Galco's. If similar, there's a good chance they'll do the job just as well as the previous mfg's.

Check the thread used for stitching and ask what the thread is made of (cotton, nylon, rayon, etc). Cheap stuff uses thin thread made of unwaxed cotton or rayon. Good stuff uses waxed cotton in a heavy weight diam. And, like all purses, the lining is important in weight, durability, and attachment to the exterior leather. Cheap stuff frays fast.
Old October 2, 2005, 03:32 AM   #3
danbh

Wife has a Coronado pocketbooks uses them every day 5 years old now and they still look great. Leather is top quality and so is stitching and zippers.
Old October 2, 2005, 04:38 AM   #4
smince

My wife got hers last Thursday, in time to carry it on a trip to Knoxville. It is very well made, and larger than her Galco, for a lot less money. Aspen Classic is the model she chose.