The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 6, 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Evintos

Shooting "weak side"

Hello,

I'm right eye dominant and right handed. I can't seem to obtain a good sight picture while maintaining a good cheek weld while shooting (a rifle) from my left side. Some people have told me to cant the rifle such and such degrees ° but it screws up my cheek weld. Is there a better way to train to shoot ambidextrously?

Same for shooting a pistol.

(I shoot with both eyes open)

Does anyone have any books/tips/videos on how to shoot "weak side?."

Thanks in advance.
Old September 7, 2008, 09:28 AM   #2
kraigwy

I ran across this when teaching sniper schools for the NG. I'm a big fan of shooting with both eyes open, BUT there are exceptions as in your case. Its really a simple fix. Close your dominant eye. If thats hard to do, get a pair of shooting glasses an block out the lense for your donminant eye.

This was a real problem when I first started the sniper schools, we were using the M1Cs & Ds. For those of you who dont know these M1 sniper rifles, the scope/mount hangs off the left side of the rifle alowing the clip access to the mag well. It hard for a left handed shooter to shoot this rifle. Being right handed I learned to shoot these guns left handed so I could work with the left handed shooters. It wasn't that difficult after I realized I had to close my right (dominant) eye.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 7, 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Jay1958

I agree - when in a 'not normal' situation like shooting from the 'other side' - close your dominant eye.
Old September 7, 2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Evintos

Just to clarify - I'm using no optics. Only iron sights.
Old September 7, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Swampghost

One thing not mentioned is to wear serious eye protection. Gasses, ejected brass and stovepipes (in rimfire autos) can have serious side effects.

Half of my family (former M-I-L, wife, daughter) are all lefty's and we have learned this through close calls.

My dad taught me to instinct shoot with a bow and firearms, maybe you should pursue this. It works well at close range.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Evintos

Don't worry, I wear the Revision Sawfly. I figure it should be adequate eye protection.

And for hearing protection - plugs and muffs. I have to use a stethoscope at work so hearing is very important to me.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep practicing.