The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 20, 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Special Revolver Commemorates Landmark Heller Decision

Got this heads up over at THR this am. Got home from work and read more about this.

Quote:
Sunday, July 20, 2008

Special Revolver Commemorates Landmark Heller Decision

Sometimes things work out, and in this case, it's a home run! Three weeks ago on my Gun Talk Radio Show, I offered the idea of a presentation gun to be given to the six original plaintiffs in what started off as the "Parker" case, and then became the Heller case. That's the case where the U. S. Supreme Court ruled on July 26 that the Second Amendment is, in fact, an individual right, and the court threw out the total handgun ban in Washington, DC.

I'd love to say it was my idea, but I got the suggestion from a listener and Truth Squad member. I liked it, so I picked up the ball and ran with it.

Now, only three weeks later, it's reality. Even better, you can buy one.

On Sunday, July 20, I'll announce on the radio the new "D.C. vs. Heller" revolver from Smith & Wesson. It's the alloy frame model 442, which is a hammerless J-frame (the small frame) in .38 Special. It's very lightweight, with rubber grips. It's a perfect self-defense revolver.

Before I get into the details, let me tell you how it came about...More.

Click Here to view photos.
This is Tom Gresham of GunTalk we are talking about here. Anyone besides my wife want one of these?
Old July 20, 2008, 05:55 PM   #2
elrod

If I had one, it would have to be a safe queen!
Old July 21, 2008, 05:20 PM   #3
azredhawk44

SAF / S&W DC Commemorative Revolver

Will it have "the lock?"

Quote:
NEWS RELEASE
Second Amendment Foundation and Smith & Wesson Partner on Commemorative Revolver
Engraved Model 442 Will Recognize District of Columbia vs. Heller Decision

Industry Contact: Gary Giudice
Blue Heron Communications
(800) 654-3766
[email protected]

Second Amendment Foundation
Alan Gottlieb
(425) 454-7012

Second Amendment Foundation and Smith & Wesson Partner on Commemorative Revolver
Engraved Model 442 Will Recognize District of Columbia vs. Heller Decision

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (July, 21, 2008) – The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and Smith & Wesson have partnered to create a commemorative revolver designed to recognize the historical significance of the District of Columbia vs. Heller decision and to acknowledge the six original plaintiffs that united to challenge the gun ban in Washington, D.C.

As part of the project, an engraved Smith & Wesson Model 442 revolver will be presented to each of the six plaintiffs – Shelly Parker, Tom Palmer, Gillian St. Lawrence, Tracey Ambeau, George Lyon and Dick Heller – for their key roles in working to protect the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Smith & Wesson will make the commemorative revolver available for consumer purchase in Fall 2008 and will direct a portion of the proceeds to the Second Amendment Foundation to acknowledge the organization’s pivotal role in the Heller case and its ongoing efforts to preserve the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens.

“We are proud to work with Smith & Wesson on this project,” said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation. “June 26 saw a landmark victory for the Second Amendment, and for all Americans. This is a fitting way to commemorate a significant moment in history, and support future efforts that will continue to strengthen our constitutional rights.”

The Smith & Wesson Model 442 will be laser engraved with an insignia to commemorate the ruling by the Supreme Court. On the right side plate of the revolver, the scale of justice is depicted with the wording “D.C. vs. Heller” across the scale. The balance is in favor of the “Heller” name with the court date of “June 26, 2008” positioned across the top. Underneath the scale, the side plate reads “Second Amendment” and “The right to keep and bear arms” in white lettering.

“We at Smith & Wesson are pleased to honor the six original plaintiffs in the case while at the same time offer to consumers a firearm that will help in the preservation and protection of the Second Amendment,” said Tom Taylor, Vice President of Marketing for Smith & Wesson. “The Second Amendment Foundation has worked diligently on the Heller case along with several other cases in the last two decades by promoting legal scholarship. Their contributions have helped to dramatically change the legal landscape and we are honored to partner with them on this project.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nations oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of New Orleans, San Francisco and Los Angeles, and New Haven, CT on behalf of American gun owners.

About Smith & Wesson
Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, a global leader in safety, security, protection and sport, is parent company to Smith & Wesson Corp., one of the world’s largest manufacturers of quality firearms and firearm safety/security products and parent company to Thompson/Center Arms, Inc., a premier designer and manufacturer of premium hunting rifles, black powder rifles, interchangeable firearms systems and accessories under the Thompson/Center brand. Smith & Wesson licenses shooter protection, knives, apparel, and other accessory lines. Smith & Wesson is based in Springfield, Massachusetts with manufacturing facilities in Springfield, Houlton, Maine, and Rochester, New Hampshire. The Smith & Wesson Academy is America’s longest running firearms training facility for law enforcement, military and security professionals. For more information on Smith & Wesson, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com. For more information on Thompson/Center Arms, log on to www.tcarms.com.
Old July 21, 2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Tom Gresham of GunTalk announced this yesterday, the 20th. A Thread was started in the General Discussion forum about this.

Merging (as it's off-topic for L&P).
Old July 21, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
LanceOregon

Smith and Wesson should indeed be celebrating the ruling, since only revolvers can now be owned in Washington, D.C.

So they stand to profit the most out of any of the handgun manufacturers from the legal outcome.

Did Smith and Wesson stock jump at all after the Heller ruling??

Old July 24, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6
bikerbill

got an email from S&W with a pic ... concealed hammer j frame in black with the commemorative mark on the side of the frame
Old July 24, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Tom2

The dodo filling in on the Paul Harvey show today made some remark about the gun. Said the portrait of Ruth B. Ginsburg was "particulary striking" on the gun, so I had to see what it really looked like. No portraits. Waaah. Well now maybe they will come out with a Ted Kennedy retirement issue in the near future, hopefully.
Old July 27, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Gary L. Griffiths

I would hope that S&W will present the first "Heller" revolver to Dick Heller!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)

Tags
commemorative pistol , guntalk , heller , s&w , tom gresham