The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 20, 2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

An interesting experience at the range today

So this morning I got some range time in and had an interesting experience.

Usually I start off with my .22lr Victory and shoot about 50 rds through it, to establish some trigger control and just get warmed up, then move on to my carry piece. Today, however, I brought my LCP and left the .22 behind, since summer's right around the corner and I typically start carrying my LCP more often as the days get hotter.

So I shoot my 50 rounds through the LCP, then start shooting my Shield. Well suddenly the Shield felt like a full size pistol in my hand and the trigger felt wonderfully light and crisp, instead of feeling a little small in my hand with a heavy somewhat crisp trigger.

This new perception made shooting my Shield a little easier, especially when I began doing some controlled pairs and something I call, "chasing bulls." That's where I put a 4 bullseye target up at 10 yds and try to put a pair in each square as fast as I can. Usually the first couple mags I'm still getting used to the trigger and the small size of the gun, then build speed afterwards. Today I was able to go nearly full speed from the first mag, as if I'd already shot two or three mags. It was such a difference that I left the range feeling like I'd made significant break-through with that gun.

Anyway, I drove home thinking I might have to make shooting the LCP as a warm-up more often.

I really felt like I may have stumbled onto a good training procedure. So it got me to wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

P.S. to the mods: if this is in the wrong place I apologize and please feel free to put this in the appropriate section.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; May 20, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 20, 2017, 06:04 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

I like to start big at the start of my session: 500 S&W or one of the others (454 Casull, 460, or 44 Mag). Then the 9 mm feels like nothing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 20, 2017, 11:09 PM   #3
KyJim

I used to always take a double action revolver and a semi-auto to the range. I would start with the revolver (double action). This usually made the triggers on the semi-autos seem lighter than they were. I need to get back to shooting my revolvers more.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:17 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I do most of my dryfire practice double-action with a pistol that has a very heavy DA trigger. It provides a similar effect.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:29 AM   #5
g.willikers

Similar to baseball players swinging two bats as a warmup to stepping into the batter's box.