The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
snuffy

What happens in a fire? (ammo)

Many times we have discussions about how to store ammo in our houses. Take a look at this video put out by SAMMI;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3SlOXowwC4c

Also, see what happens if a single shell is fired OUTSIDE of a gun,(without being chambered).

All those doomsday-myth repeaters can go soak their heads now!

The movie industry should maybe learn something here as well. There is NOT a massive explosion.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 26, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
hk33ka1

Saw this video a few years ago and it's a good one. Producers of the new Bond film must have missed it as they were using 12ga shells as landmine/boobytraps this time around.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Mythbusters did a show on that and concluded there's no dangers with ammo unless it's in a gun.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
William T. Watts

Terrific video, thank you!! William
Old November 26, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
tank1949

seen that type stuff up close and personal. No boom. Black powder ammo is another storry. It does go boom.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
dacaur

Yea I had always figued by the lack of "house fire causes neighbors for miles around to be shot, again!" headlines that ammo isnt really dangerous in a fire .

That vid was sweet though, thanks for posting it!

Last edited by dacaur; November 26, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:39 PM   #7
medalguy

Mods, since this is a frequent topic of discussion, and certainly a good one, how about pinning this?
Old November 26, 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
joneb

So whats up with the F'N Hazmat fees ?
Old November 27, 2012, 01:23 AM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
Since SAMMI is only concerned with ammo, they don't worry about components. That's what the hazmat is all about, powder and primers. Ammo is shipped all the time without haz-mat fees.

This did not answer the concern of some with storing ammo in sealed ammo cans, or powder/primers. Again, SAMMI is not concerned with it. Get mythbusters to do a program on it.

My suspicion is it would be similar to the open air results in the video. In order for shells in an ammo can to be a bomb, ALL the ammo would have to cook-off at precisely the same time to be a problem. That would be just plain impossible.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 27, 2012, 02:25 AM   #10
joneb

Quote:
they don't worry about components. That's what the hazmat is all about, powder and primers.
So I guess there must have been some serious accidents shipping powder and primers to justify these fees ? Or is it more preemptive
Old November 27, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Gbro

Quote:
Yea I had always figued by the lack of "house fire causes neighbors for miles around to be shot, again!"
BUT, like the little 9 sec pop-up window states, in a fire a loaded firearm will shoot as if the trigger is pulled.

Oh how i wish they would have tested a few different 1 and 8 lbs canisters of powder and some black powder cartridges as well.
I really enjoyed the clip but sure wish i had the Raw Haw in my pocket that was cooked off in the film.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #12
F. Guffey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAES5SXUwVU

F. Guffey
Old November 27, 2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Gbro

After watching Frank trim his eyelashes i watched this,
If you can withstand the drivel, the dude makes a couple small batches and lights them up.
My question, Why is it burning so slowly or is his recipe wrong??
I would like to drop a book on that slow burning pile to see if things speed up a bit.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:11 PM   #14
snuffy

Quote:
My question, Why is it burning so slowly or is his recipe wrong??
I would like to drop a book on that slow burning pile to see if things speed up a bit.
I'm no eggsurt but, he skipped a couple steps. The mix he got should then be combined with a solvent,(IIRC water), then made/cast into a "cake". That thoroughly mixes the ingredients, then the cake is broken up to produce the 5 grades sporting black powder is made in. 4f, 3f, 2f, 1f, and cannon grades.

That's how I understand it anyway, I'm certainly NOT going to try it myself.

Old November 27, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I always said that a good ole can of beenie weenies is more dangerous in a campfire than ammunition. Until you see a 38 special thrown into a fire and hear the pop and see the flash, most will not believe it is lackluster. Now put a can of beenie weenies on the fire and you have flaming and super hot beans and wieners flying everywhere....wait that doesn't sound good, but trust me, not a good idea....
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #16
hk33ka1

I always thought you had to drink booze and pee into the matrix to make real Black Powder.

I'd like to see some .50 cal cans burned with ammo and also ones with just components in them to satisfy some of the safety orientated opinions out there.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #17
jmorris

Camping as a kid, I went to stoke the fire one morning and dumped and unknown number of .22's into the coals below. Cases looked like popcorn, did blow the hot coals around a bit.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:13 AM   #18
Lost Sheep

Quote:
jibjab
As I understand it:

Smokeless powder is highly flammable, just like kerosene.

Primers, in quantity (not individualized like in loaded cartridges) are handled as explosives.

Use Google to look up "HazMat" or "Hazardous Materials" and "Shipping Hazmat" and wade through the regulations (you have my sympathies).

Now, understand the HazMat rules/laws have nothing to do with the fees. Complying with the regulations/laws gives the shippers something to charge us for. It does cost them some extra effort (cost) to comply.

Lost Sheep
Old November 28, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
10 Spot Terminator

Why is it gunpowder doesnt seem to be dangerous until you add the HUMAN ?
Old November 28, 2012, 10:21 AM   #20
SL1

The People for the Ethical Triggering of Ammunition are probably outraged by the senseless slaughter of good ammunition, but the video seems to have made good points.

However, if I were a firefighter, I would want to see what a GI ammo can filled with handloads would do in a fire. Those are quite common in households with shooters, and are even supplied (and shipped) filled with some commercial ammo from places like "Cheaper Than Dirt."

Although SAAMI is not responsible for that practice, it could seriously affect their business. By leaving it unaddressed, I fear they are leaving the field open for some anti-gun organizations or governments to conduct their own "tests" in what might be a biased manner. Remember the "news" network that was caught rigging explosions for rear-end accidents with a car model that they were maligning, because "the real fires were not spectacular enough" for prime-time news broadcasts?

SL1
Old December 2, 2012, 07:57 AM   #21
cryogenic419

We had a gun shop/indoor range go up in flames about 2 years ago. I know the place always had tons of ammo in stock. It basically all went off like firecrackers. Without anything to contain and direct the pressure and bullet, there really isn't much that happens. I'm sure all the powder was a pain for the firefighters.

http://youtu.be/pBuW8d93Mww