The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 1999, 05:35 AM   #1
red berens

I just made detective, and am wondering if the old Tom Threepersons rig is a poor choice for concealed carry. Any insight or experiences with this rig would be appreciated.
Old December 21, 1999, 08:36 AM   #2
Rosco Benson

The Threepersons rig was a great step forward when it first came to be, but some little water has passed under the bridge since then. The exposed trigger of the Threepersons holster does not add to the speed of the draw, but does permit the dangerous habit of putting one's finger on the trigger upon initial hand/gun contact. Depending on the particular maker's rendition of the Threepersons design, the pistol will be retained by simple friction or possibly a thumb-break or old-fashioned "suicide" strap.

You may wish to check out Milt Sparks Holster's PMK. They also have a new holster, not yet shwon on their website, called the CC-ATR which should be a fabulous holster for packing a concealed revolver. Have a look at www.miltsparks.com

Lou Alessi also makes his great "DOJ" holster for revolvers now. Richard Heinie sells them through his website at www.heinie.com

Rosco
Old December 21, 1999, 07:51 PM   #3
macondas

Hi all,

I was wanting a Tom Threeperson's holster for myself, so I sent off for the El Paso Saddlery Co.'s catalog, it arrived Friday.

They list this particular holster as being "made for most double and single action revolvers. Also made for most Semi-Auto pistols".

They note however that "Certain semi-autos will have covered triggers. (example Glock)".

They picture a hammer strap for retention, and I must admit are quite attractive holsters!

I would however question their use for modern Law Enforcement (although I'm not a cop, nor do I play one on TV, or in the bedroom....Ahem....) BUT I think that I'll pick one for use with my Springfield for hunting season.

Try this address:
www.epsaddlery.com

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**
Old December 25, 1999, 02:49 PM   #4
Jeff OTMG

I think the Threepersons design is still being made with modern innovations by Ken Null.
Old December 25, 1999, 09:02 PM   #5
Robert Foote

Not a good idea. The Threepersons is essentially the old Lawrence #120 Keith holster. It could be used either with or without retaining strap; however, the snapped strap is slow and uncertain. If the strap is not used, the gun is too loose in the holster. I used one with a M28 S&W in plainclothes for a while and it just didn't make sense. Also used some other combinations, some of which I would prefer to forget. What you want in plainclothes is a holster that combines concealment, a fair degree of security, speed, and all day comfort. For my last 15 years (all of it as a plainclothes officer--and a firearms instructor) I used a K frame 4" in a Milt Sparks #200AW holster (Hank Sloan Special) with great satisfaction. I still use it. It met all the above requirements very well, and I would still recommend it.

------------------
Old December 29, 1999, 02:43 PM   #6
Hard Ball

I have used several Tom Threepersons holsters made by the old S.D. Meyers holster company of El Paso Texas. They are outstanding holsters for concealed carry and work beautifully when you understand the logic of Tom Threepersons' design. I would not recommend them for a uniformed LEO, however because of gun retention concerns when the revolver is carried openly.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited December 29, 1999).]