The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2019, 06:47 AM   #26
rodfac

Quote:
Old oil turned to sludge in there can cause misfires even with good ammo. Buy another spring, but if after a proper clean and lube, the gun runs OK, there's no need to change it out, and you'll have the new one on hand IF the day ever comes that you do need it.
Good advice here. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 17, 2019, 07:01 AM   #27
rodfac

Just a cpl add'l thoughts...Stephen Camp suggests that early Hi-Powers (any one but a Mklll) should not be shot extensively with +P ammunition. IIRC, he also used an 18.5 lb. recoil spring in his personal carry Hi-Power, to lessen the effects of higher pressure ammunition.

Camp's web site, still up since his death, makes plain some of the distinctions and expands on ammunition choices including target pictures with various brands from 15 yds and off a rest.

Personally, while I like and often carry my pair of Hi-Powers, I do find the force needed to rack their slides considerably heavier than most pistols. The .40, especially, is a bit tough to manage. Too, I find that I can't control a safe, one-handed, decock on either pistol. Their mainsprings are just too heavy for me. YMMv but be careful if you're in the habit of single-handed decocking your pistol.

Lastly, while all guns are a law unto themselves, my 9mm Hi-Power much prefers 124 gr bullets to the lighter 115's. And this goes for all brands of commercially available ammunition tried to date. For good groups and ocular cranial 3"x5" silhouette shots well past 15 yds, my guns (including several Sig and Glock 9mm's besides the afore mentioned "Practical" Hi-Power), do extremely well with American Eagle 124 gr FMJ's. I'd be interested in other members experience in that regard.

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 30, 2019, 01:15 PM   #28
robmkivseries70

Stephen A Camp discusses the magazine disconnect.
Best,
Rob
https://hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm
Old July 30, 2019, 02:09 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Quote:
Too, I find that I can't control a safe, one-handed, decock on either pistol.
Why would you want to do that? I got over it many years ago.
Old July 30, 2019, 05:52 PM   #30
rodfac

Quote:
Too, I find that I can't control a safe, one-handed, decock on either pistol.
Why would you want to do that? I got over it many years ago.
Yep...my thoughts exactly. Rod
Old August 11, 2019, 09:54 PM   #31
Martowski

Sorry for your loss. I have three of my father's guns that I will never part with. Regarding your Hi Power, I agree that it's a great defensive arm; I own a MKIII Practical. And, I totally understand your thoughts about using it defensively. However, I would mention that if any of us ever use a firearm defensively, there's the chance that it could be held up for years and possibly never returned. I would typically only carry something or have something as my "night stand" gun that has zero emotional value to me. Just my opinion... why risk, even remotely, something of such sentimental value being mishandled or even permanently confisicated?
Old August 11, 2019, 10:41 PM   #32
Ibmikey

I would not forgo the carry of a pistol I had the utmost confidence in for fear the police will hold it as evidence in a shooting situation, in fact that is the time I would want that very pistol. It is silly to leave a nice reliable pistol in the safe and carry something that may be of lesser reliability. As for “emotional value” I would quietly thank my benefactor for placing that weapon in my hands.
Old August 12, 2019, 11:38 PM   #33
Martowski

Certainly everyone's choice with what they carry, for sure. And, I agree that I wouldn't choose a less reliable pistol to carry. But, just my own personal choice, I have plastic wonders (e.g. Glock 19, Walther P99, Sig P365) that are perfectly reliable and proven designs that will hit whatever they are aimed at, but have zero emotional value to me that I carry. Of course, the Hi Power is an outstanding design in its own right, proven countless times over in the hands of militaries, police, and civilians since the 1930's.

Again to each his own... just my own thoughts on the topic.
Old August 13, 2019, 08:47 PM   #34
JSG81

I too have my choice of “plastic” pistols which are my current choice. With the way things have played out just looking to add something else to the mix.

This is not a need but a want as a way to honor my father.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2019, 09:40 PM   #35
Kevin Rohrer

I own a MkIII in .40 and have had ZERO malfunctions w/ any ammo, even my reloads.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 14, 2019, 01:57 PM   #36
cw308

Hopefully you will never have to use that pistol in a defensible situation , it would leave you with a different feeling . Take good care of it , shoot it often , it's best leaving a smile on your face . Be Well.

Chris
Old August 14, 2019, 04:39 PM   #37
JDBerg

The last gun I bought last year was a bone-stock BHP MKII that I found in a Cabelas Gun Library in Lone Tree, CO. This is my 2nd BHP and it “could use” sights & trigger work, but honestly it shoots great just the way it is. Including the MK III I already have, I could always shoot BHP’s well, and I’m sad & a little peeved that these are discontinued (for now but hopefully not for long). I don’t know how long it sat in that Gun Library there before I got it but I’m really glad I didn’t snooze & lose on this one.
Old August 14, 2019, 05:12 PM   #38
JSG81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
Hopefully you will never have to use that pistol in a defensible situation , it would leave you with a different feeling . Take good care of it , shoot it often , it's best leaving a smile on your face . Be Well.

Chris

I’ve always liked it and remember when my Dad bought it. I understand what you are saying about using it for more than punching paper but that’s what he bought it for if it ever comes down to that. I pray it never will.

Old August 15, 2019, 06:45 AM   #39
Scottcc

Did I miss something? Does the OP mean failure to feed, or failure to fire?
Old August 15, 2019, 08:20 PM   #40
JSG81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcc View Post
Did I miss something? Does the OP mean failure to feed, or failure to fire?

Best of memory is failure to feed. I was the last to clean it about 10 years ago and haven’t been able to get to the range with it lately. I will give it another good clean and new ammo and see what happens. There is a good chance every thing works fine. If not I might be back with questions.

Old August 29, 2019, 12:33 AM   #41
IMtheNRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
When a Browning Hi-Power is involved in a shooting that results in a court case...You can be sure that the opposing lawyer will investigate whether the Hi-Power magazine disconnect safety has been removed or not.

If it has...the opposing lawyer can build a case...that the user of said pistol was irresponsible with gun safety at the time of the incident.
No, this is an old wives' tale that predates the internet itself. This superstition, along with "don't use reloads for defensive purposes" just won't die...
Old August 30, 2019, 12:09 AM   #42
Ibmikey

IMtheNRA, Thanks for responding, saves me the task of commenting on those who will not let the mag disconnect die. One of my 17 Hi Powers I received from a friend who happens to be a personal injury lawyer, we have discussed modifications and particularly the mag disconnect issues that he agreed would have no bearing on a lawful shoot situation. Only a couple of my Hi Powers that are highly collectible have the disconnect intact, the shooters have all had the offending parts removed.