The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2019, 10:40 AM   #201
Green Frog

In Post #182 I talked about loading AA #9 behind my NOE 125 grain LSWCs. Dumb but happy, I loaded them just below the starting load suggested for 115 grain bullets and Accurate #9. I thought they were a little rowdy but manageable, but now that I have gone back to reload them, I looked closely at the primers... WOW! I've never seen revolver primers flattened out so completely. I'm going to have to drop back at least a full grain and try again. Thus, I don't want to publish my load data except to say that powder and bullet combination can be used, but that my data was way too warm for routine use. I hope I can get something safe but still high performing, but I've got to seriously reevaluate this combination.

Froggie
Old January 18, 2019, 01:56 PM   #202
Sevens

It's my belief that reading primers is wildly overrated.

In this particular situation...
If I built a load that was mild or mid-range, stepped it up a bit (using SAME brass headstamp, same primers, same powder from same lot and fired in same revolver) and observed the spent brass/primers along each step of the process, only at the point of substantial change would I lend much credence to the look of a primer in a revolver round.

If the brass is extracting effortlessly, I wouldn't be too concerned with the appearance of a primer, especially in .327 Federal with a SAAMI 45k PSI max.

These were small rifle primers, yes?
Old January 20, 2019, 09:31 AM   #203
ltfirehunter

New Member here, and was wondering if anyone knows the bullet manufacturer that is used in the American Eagle 100 gr. JSP?
Old January 20, 2019, 01:04 PM   #204
Sevens

An e-mail to ben.amonette <at> atk.com might get you a more official answer (maybe not) but conventional wisdom suggests that the Federal American Eagle 100gr JSP would be a Speer product, but not one that has ever been offered as a component for us to purchase. Ben is a ballistician at Alliant and they field e-mail questions on the subject of handloading from mild to wild all the time.

I say this simply because the American Eagle is a Federal brand, and Federal and Speer (and Alliant) are all under the ATK umbrella of products. It would also make sense of it was the CCI-400 small rifle primer used in that ammunition, but I would not believe it to be a smokeless powder available to us that is used in that ammo.

If you do contact him and hear a reply, I'd appreciate if you shared it here in this thread!
Old January 21, 2019, 08:38 AM   #205
ltfirehunter

Even if it is actually a Speer bullet, Speer no longer offers anything but a lead bullet in 32 caliber.

It is sad that Speer has done away with their 32 caliber lineup. I have over many years used Speer reloading products, both rifle and handgun, with good results in accuracy.

Last edited by ltfirehunter; January 21, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:58 PM   #206
Tinker451

I just got into reloading, and started with my 327’s. I have found there is very few bullet choice for this caliber, but I haven’t seen anyone talking about Lehigh Defense ammo yet. Is this not popular to reload? I just ordered 150 95gr .312 extreme penetrator for the 327 loads and 100 75gr .312 extreme penetrator bullets for 32 H&R loads. They have data posted for these loads.

Has anyone tried them?

Last edited by Tinker451; May 10, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 10, 2019, 07:53 AM   #207
littlebikerider

I wasn't aware of them, thanks for pointing it out. They appear to be a bit expensive for playing around, the Rainier bullets are good for that. But this would be great for SD loads!
Old May 10, 2019, 08:16 AM   #208
Tinker451

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebikerider View Post
I wasn't aware of them, thanks for pointing it out. They appear to be a bit expensive for playing around, the Rainier bullets are good for that. But this would be great for SD loads!
I didn't think the Rainer bullets had the grove you need for roll crimping. I have not yet learned how to load something like this in the 327 as the Lyman book says to roll crimp revolvers.
Old May 12, 2019, 05:17 PM   #209
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Federal and Speer (and Alliant) are all under the ATK umbrella of products.
ATK was merged with Orbital Sciences Corp to form Orbital ATK in 2014 and that was purchased by Northrop Grumman last year (2018). The sporting goods interests were spun off from Orbital ATK as Vista Outdoors, and in 2015 it became a completely separate company, so Northrop Grumman doesn't own it. Vista Outdoors is the company that actaully owns Federal and Speer now.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 12, 2019, 06:05 PM   #210
littlebikerider

I have been taper crimping them, but I only load them to 32H&R power. For magnum loads I use XTPs and roll crimp.
Old June 4, 2019, 11:45 AM   #211
coyotes220

Heavy bullets in 327 Federal

As I'm new to this forum and forums in general I hope I'm abiding by the rules and doing this correctly. I own a single seven in 327 and am interested in buying a 133 grain Keith type bullet mold for it. Only problem is legit published load data for such, it doesn't exist to my knowledge. I hesitate to just try something based on educated guesses because we have all heard about bad problems reducing H110/296 below published levels and I extend that knowledge, real or mythical, to most slow burners in the pistol arena. Is anybody loading such a load?
I have Lil gun, 2400, and H110 on hand for the task but am open to any slow burning pistol type powders. Please though, nothing that you feel is red lined or crazy hot.
Old June 6, 2019, 10:22 AM   #212
Real Gun

With this cartridge I think you would be well served to use published loads and using the exact components listed. We also have a good resource for 327 in the Handloader articles by Brian Pearce, so at least you know what has been tried off the books and professionally evaluated.

One thing I noted is that lead bullets I have used in Single Sevens will run well at full power with zero leading. I certainly don't get that with other calibers.

The limit on bullet weight seems to be around 100-115. Those originally intended for 32-20 run just fine and have a crimp groove. To go beyond that I bought some gas checked from Rimrock.

Seeing mention of flattened primers, I would offer that such should be expected with upper end loads in this cartridge. Consider though that tight throats will raise pressure and felt recoil, so being aware of throat size is important.
Old June 7, 2019, 03:18 AM   #213
coyotes220

I also have seen the no leading characteristics. Loaded some Missouri Bullet Co 120 grainers meant for 32-20 a few days ago at a BHN of 18 with a Min charge of 2400 listed for 115 grain Speer GDHP but with the lead bullet seated out further than listed COAL for the GDHP. Turns out that particular bullets crimp groove mates well with 327 brass as it fit my single seven's cylinder perfect with it's .290 nose. Lighter end load as it turned out, less high pressure "crack" than buddy's factory stuff. Load showed zero leading which shocked me even at minimum charges. Thanks for the advice, Going up to 133 grains or more, 133 being only nominal, is more of a leap of faith than a 5 grain jump in bullet weight. As mentioned, i'm a bit scared of guessing about reductions over a weight gap that large without published data and was hoping somebody might be able to offer experience based advice.
Old June 8, 2019, 09:39 AM   #214
LOLBELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJelly View Post
Sevens - Thanks for your response sir! Good point - I use an RCBS Lil Dandy measure and just checked 5.2-g (ish) of PP. It doesn't half-fill the case - but it sounds safer than 5.9-g given the absence of data. Sounds dumb but I hate to invest $20+ for AA7 or 2400 given that I'll prolly only load 200-rds over the next year. The comments in the thread about Trail Boss took me by surprise, although, up front I've never loaded with it. It has been billed by many as the 'fill up the case' powder, and fire away. I guess a notable exception to that is for, at least, .327 Fed. I won't be doing any more than punching paper, at an indoor range, with the GP so mild loads will fit the bill. And, I don't relish cleaning it up after cast bullet shooting so I decided to go with plated. I've put a .327 SP101 on the want list for next year. I've seen a couple locally but they've been beater-ish ... The GP100 needed a lot of touching up finish-wise, but it looks near-new now.

What’s wrong with Trail Boss? I’ve read the entire thread and don’t recall seeing anything else about TB. I have used it with a published load and have experienced no problems in a Blackhawk, a couple of SS, a GP100 and a SP101
Old June 25, 2019, 02:43 AM   #215
coyotes220

This seems the right place to ask about 327 mag accuracy problems. I have a 4 cavity hollow point mold from a maker I wont name at this time and cast bullets for my 327 that weigh 108 grains. Thus far I haven't been able to make a load with this bullet that shoots inside about 6 inches RESTED at 25 yds which I consider horrible. I haven't tried anything other than 9 and then 10 grains of 2400 but these 2 were charges shot a lot. Other bullets from the same alloy in other revolvers will easily shoot under 3 inches for 2 or 3 cylinders in a row at 25 yds, leading me to rule out my admittedly soft alloy being "bad" if such a thing exists. Anybody willing to share an accurate load, preferably with cast bullets, in their single seven or other wheel gun?