The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 22, 2014, 03:19 AM   #1
AdamSean

Has anyone incorporated Fit Shot type training?

I have been seeing videos of this type of Cross Fit based weapons training on youtube and have been thinking of incorporating it into my monthly training program. I believe it can help you stay in shape and have the added benefit of simulating the added anxiety that an actual self defense situation might impose on the human body and mind.

I watched as Rob Pincus began to tire and struggle to make accurate hits on targets. As I don't own a carbine yet, I would be creating some programs that only incorporate pistol shooting. Add in some squats, push-ups, sit-ups, burpees, and some sprints; I believe this could be beneficial and add more fun at the outdoor range.

Any thoughts? Also, if you do this type of training, what kind of drills do you run?
Old May 22, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Rattlehead

Biathlon (particularly summer biathlon for those of us whose skate-skiing technique is still in infancy) is a great way to bring physical stress into a shooting environment and routinely has friendly competition involved... might not be your tacti-cool AR, but it'll put the same fundamentals to the test.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
ezmiraldo

Sounds like a great idea to me - after one has developed solid basics and wants to move to a higher level of proficiency. Seems like there's no downside: Practicing under stress and becoming more fit at the same time?! Where do I sign up? I might incorporate some more physical stuff into my monthly stress-simulation range practice day.