The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 28, 2022, 12:24 AM   #1
bamaranger

Treestand tip

In recent weeks I've had occassionto utilize a "hasn't had I've been using for many years, but wonder just how well known this trick may be.....so here ya go.

Correct and safe procedure when hunting from elevated stands ist climb, then retrieve your bow/rifle/gear with a pull rope, attached to same prior ascending. Ever drop anything from a stand? Try this....to the running/gear end of your pull cord, attach the clip/snap from a fish striger. One can use the snap instead of a knot when hauling many items, I use it to pull and lower my bow all the time. Unwrap, pass the clip through a pulley on the bow, resnap...your're done Over the course of a season it will save a lot of time.

But the best is this....., bent open the snap can form a hook, with which one can often snag hats,gloves, calls, glasses, arrows (through a vent in the blade) or what ever, without having to climb back down. This is major when using a climbing stand which requires so much effort, and still handy from a ladder or platform.
Old January 29, 2022, 06:05 PM   #2
bamaranger

Oops!

.....utilize a "hack"..... Sorry, new tablet.
Old February 2, 2022, 11:26 PM   #3
Bowhunter57

I've owned one of these devices for over 20 years. Only used it a half dozen times, but it has always worked well when I needed it. Called the Booger Retrieval Device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhGWYRYbHfA
Old February 5, 2022, 05:10 PM   #4
buck460XVR

I have always used carabiners, i.e "carbine hooks" at the end of my rope for pulling up equipment as opposed to knots.