The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2022, 10:25 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Anybody build gunboxes/cases

I'm talking about those nice cases or boxes that better guns would come in. Anybody build them? Let's see pictures.
Old July 20, 2022, 11:42 AM   #2
Schlitz 45

I've built several display cases for handguns, arrowheads, etc. Last one I made was for the long suffering Mrs Schlitz's Heritage Roughrider that was a Valentines Day gift & got her back into shooting regularly. This one was made out of an old Winchester 45 ACP ammo box.

Old July 20, 2022, 01:27 PM   #3
BornFighting88

Building one now. I didn't go as far as the guy above me did. I purchased a really nice shadow box, and gutted it, keeping only the glass and the wood frame. Making custom stuff for the pistols as I go. Will post pics when I get somewhere presentable.
Old July 20, 2022, 02:03 PM   #4
ballardw

https://www.gunboxesusa.com/
https://www.finehomedisplays.com/gun-display-cases.asp
for a couple
Search "hand presentation box" or case

Or were you asking about home hobby activity?
Old August 2, 2022, 12:54 AM   #5
Viper1357

I made a Doc Holliday pistol presentation case some time back

A few years back I was on a huge western kick, taking a special interest and liking to Doc Holliday, both in some real documented history and Hollywood depictions. I was between other hobbies and decided to modify some grips on a couple Cimarron stainless and nickel plated old west revolver models for my ideas/versions of what his guns may have been like. Nothing historically or even movie accurate, but just a fun project...

- Oh yeah the case.. It seemed only fitting they rest in a nice case. Like you said, nice cases better guns came in, so I up-cycled an old silverware chest into a velvet lined wooden presentation case.

Here's a vid I made of the process and lots of finished pics...

https://youtu.be/1N_90c2AjP0

"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DocH_display_bx8444.jpg (511.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg DocH_display_bx8442.jpg (506.4 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by Viper1357; August 2, 2022 at 01:00 AM.
Old August 2, 2022, 07:22 AM   #6
stagpanther

I have a CNC router that makes cutting complex shapes pretty easy. I might try that one day.
Old August 2, 2022, 08:05 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I still need to learn how to use a router. I've got a craftsman tabletop that I don't know how to use.
Old August 2, 2022, 08:04 PM   #8
stagpanther

They're just like bullets--you can never have too much horsepower or rpm's. It also pays to buy better carbide bits.
Old August 3, 2022, 07:25 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks stagpanther. I would, but I have to learn what I'm doing first.
Old August 4, 2022, 12:47 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks stagpanther. I would, but I have to learn what I'm doing first.
Ah--I assume that is a straight-fence type set-up. Specific rpms depending on the type of wood, grain, and how to position the bit for optimal cutting, feed-rate, step-over, chip-load and plunge rate etc are all things relatively accessible to learn through google and youtube. Just like in the firearms world--the less runout of the bit--the better.
Old August 4, 2022, 03:48 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

stagpanther getting all fancy on us and thinking that thinking is the answer.
It probably is.

But when I picked up my routers from an estate sale, they were covered in cemented powdered horse dookey.

One hand-held, one hand-held that was bolted to a piece of melamine particle board to drop into an extension on the guy's table saw (I did not get the saw).

I pressure washed the pair, blew out what water I could, stuck them in my 6,000 degree shed in the middle of summer, and then plugged them in a few weeks later, to see if they worked.
I just went with trial and error to learn how to adjust and set them up.

I think one of them has a bent shaft or base. No matter the feed direction or type of bit, it wants to climb the material and do bad things.

Also,
Routers are loud.
Old August 4, 2022, 05:32 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther getting all fancy on us and thinking that thinking is the answer.
LOL--that's right--it's called being pedantic (I just learned that on another thread) and I'm guilty as charged, I guess. Most of the stuff I learn is by doing it the wrong way first. I've got about 5K sunk into my CNC router so far--and it's not even an especially good one. And once again I'm learning things the hard way.
Absolute bare minimum would be a 2.5 hp 24,000 rpm router like a bosch would be what I would recommend. Anything less is --making lots of chips, sawdust and ruined jobs IMO.
Old October 21, 2022, 06:34 PM   #13
cdoc42

When I first turned my router on, it stopped instantly because I thought I was going to kill myself, so I released the switch. As with everything, re-approach, analysis, risk-to-benefit, etc., and all of a sudden I was into it. I attached it to a portable table but that is only useful for straight cuts. I was into making my own plaques for my European Skull mounts. Now, after 8 plaques, it's a breeze...but I have to remind myself not to fail to pay attention.
Old October 24, 2022, 10:21 AM   #14
Pahoo

Old Silverware cases??? !!!

Quote:
Anybody build gunboxes/cases
Gary, previous replies, are listing some "fine" options. Have you given any consideration to reworking an old siler-ware case? The last one I did, was for a Colt Walker and the case was made or 1/4 sawed Oak. I got the bow/case at Goodwill, for $4.00. I made partitions and relined with red velvet. It too me longer to find a Walker flask that the case. I've done a total of three and wish I had time to do more. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 24, 2022, 01:22 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pahoo - I'm thinking of a rifle length project. I need to get the tablesaw (motor) working and make a sled to cut box joints. I'm curious about the individual wood dividers to keep everything from rattling together. Velvet looks like but wouldn't that attract moisture and promote rust?

The rifle is a H. W. Mortimer like flintlock with a ball reservoir that hangs beneath the stock. The January 2023 issue of Muzzle Blasts will have an article on it and its maker.

One of the stapher here offered to teach me how to test the capacitor; but I've haven't been able to find the voltmeter. (I bought a new capacitor but that wasn't it).
Old October 24, 2022, 02:13 PM   #16
Schlitz 45

What I've used rather than trying to piece velvet material into a presentation box is to use a technique using spray adhesive & flocking. Thick enough to protect the firearm finish & to thin to worry about holding moisture.

https://www.flockit.com/
Old October 26, 2022, 10:55 AM   #17
Pahoo

A second look !!!

Quote:
Pahoo - I'm thinking of a rifle length project. I need to get the tablesaw (motor) working and make a sled to cut box joints. I'm curious about the individual wood dividers to keep everything from rattling together. Velvet looks like but wouldn't that attract moisture and promote rust?
Gary, misunderstood your post as I thought you were refereeing to pistol cases. Also, the velvet I used came from the remodeled gun-safe, I stripped the material from some shelving and partitions. Some is still in use with no ill effects. ........ Then;

I thought I saw these, a number of years back, went back in and they still show them. Price isn't bad; so for what it's worth, take a look as they might fit your bill .....

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...display%20case

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2022, 02:42 PM   #18
FITASC

Here's some examples (not mine) I saw on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=wood%20handgun%20case
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 27, 2022, 10:00 AM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pahoo- I've got an oak wood florescent light cover that I've been saving to convert into a case like that shown in the Sportsman Guide. Need to make a back (that's easy) and get some glass cut (also easy).

BTW, I've been taking a stained glass evening class this week so I can make some stained glass doors for bookcases or a kitchen hutch (plan to convert a kitchen cabinet into a hutch).