The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 15, 2022, 10:09 AM   #26
Metal god

That will be a problem for me because I have ZERO social media presence . When I say none I mean none and I’ve never had any . My guess is that I’ll be a plaintiff is the next lawsuit.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 15, 2022, 03:15 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Its not ZERO, if you're here....

This site falls under the broad definition of "social media". Never forget that everything you do or say on the internet is NOT truly private.
Old July 16, 2022, 04:05 PM   #28
Metal god

Quote:
This site falls under the broad definition of "social media".
Yeah but I'm not me here I'm MG . they can search all they want on social media sites for my real name and they will not find me .

Point taken though , this is social media .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 16, 2022, 04:50 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
This site falls under the broad definition of "social media".
But does it fall under the narrow definition of "social media"?

Personally, I don't regard discussion forums such as this to be social media but it doesn't really matter unless/until you find yourself in a situation such as New York where you are asked to cough up your social media accounts. At that point, the only definition that matters is how the law they are acting under defines "social media."
Jeepaholic
Old July 16, 2022, 09:42 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

I forget where I saw it, but it was only a few days ago, and the definition used for social media was literally any site where individuals can exchange information, either directly or with personal messages.

It was not restricted to sites like Facebook, twitter, or other of the "common" sites considered social media, it literally covered every site where people communicate with each other. About ANYTHING....

This site is one of those.

Not being here under your real name doesn't hide that you are here. From a causual search it might, but from any official investigation, it won't.

Now, here's a question, IF for example the state asks for all your social media accounts (and passwords??) WITHOUT A WARRANT, and you miss one, or forget one is that going to be a crime???
Old July 16, 2022, 10:58 PM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Now, here's a question, IF for example the state asks for all your social media accounts (and passwords??) WITHOUT A WARRANT, and you miss one, or forget one is that going to be a crime???
It depends. If they are asking pursuant to a law that defines "social media" in a way that includes sites such as this, then I guess I'd make an effort to remember the sites I've been on most frequently or most recently. If the state doesn't define "social media" that way (or at all), my response is going to be, "I don't do social media. I have never created a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account. Somebody once told me they saw my name in LinkedIn, but I have no recollection of having created a LinkedIn account."

Here's another aspect: I believe the courts have ruled that it's NOT a criminal offense to refuse to answer questions that may tend to incriminate you. (IIRC, this applies to questions such as "Are you carrying any guns?" If I can't remember everything I have posted on the Internet in however many years it has been since Al Gore invented the Internet, I certainly can't remember if I might -- one or more times -- posted something in jest that could be construed as a threat or as an expression of criminal intent. Therefore, giving up all my discussion forums and screen names could be self-incriminating -- so I shouldn't have to answer.

IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jeepaholic
Old July 19, 2022, 11:35 AM   #32
Metal god

Quote:
Not being here under your real name doesn't hide that you are here. From a causual search it might, but from any official investigation, it won't.
I agree but doubt there would be an "investigation" involved . We had this conversation about what social media is at dinner last night and concluded I've been on social media for a very long time . Reason being is that I watch a lot of Youtube and although I rarely comment , there has been a handful of times I did which adds the question . Is simply visiting a site and watching a video or reading a few threads constitute a social media presence or do you need to have an account or make comments ? Meaning actively participate with others to make it social ?

Old July 19, 2022, 05:44 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
Is simply visiting a site and watching a video or reading a few threads constitute a social media presence or do you need to have an account or make comments ? Meaning actively participate with others to make it social ?
Unless the law defines what it considers to be "social media," it's up to you (or to a judge).
Jeepaholic