The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2019, 10:22 AM   #1
SPEMack618

Carlson's aftermarket barrels

I was browsing the local pawn shop the other day. And lucked into a mid 60s Wingmaster 12 ga in really good shape. For what could only be described as a steal. The only problem is being an older 870, it had the full choked barrel and that was it.

I saw on Brownells an aftermarket Carlson barrel, 28" with the full vent rib and threaded for Rem-Chokes.

It had one review; which was kind of mediocre.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Carlson brand barrels?

The Remington made was both significantly more expensive and out of stock.
Old November 2, 2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Rob228

Wow.... when did Remington barrels get that expensive? I'm looking at a few right now that cost as much as getting a new shotgun.
Old November 2, 2019, 02:08 PM   #3
ed308

I think Carlson's stuff is as described. But check eBay as well. I bought my shorter replacement barrel for an old Winchester there since it was less expensive.
Old November 2, 2019, 11:06 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Thread the old barrel.

https://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm
Old November 3, 2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Virginian

The Carlson's barrels that I have seen were similar the the Remington standard RemChoked barrels - that is to say heavier than the old fixed choke barrels. Not like a Light Contour Remington barrel, but they do not come cheap. If you like the way the gun feels now, I would highly recommend having Mike Orlen install Colonial choke tubes. He has done 2 for me. Preserved the feel of the original barrel and work fine, for less than a new barrel. Briley is another one I will vouch for their work, but they are more expensive and slower than Mike.
Old November 3, 2019, 02:46 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...significantly more expensive..." Yep. It has to do with the packaging as well as the name. Bought a slug barrel several years back that came with no packaging for just over $300Cdn. with taxes. The barrel in the Remington brand package started at over $300Cdn. before taxes.
Brownell's isn't exactly cheap either. Cabela's is listing 12 ga., 28", Vent Rib, RemChoked, 870 barrels starting at $199.99. Says the stock is limited.
Same barrel at Midway is $175.99. The Carlson barrel(2 in stock) with red fluorescent front sight is a penny more.
Oh and how old your 870 is doesn't matter. Bought mine in the early 80's(when Wingmasters were nothing special), the barrel about 20 plus years later.
"...check eBay..." And give money directly to the people who want to take your firearms away from you.