The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 29, 2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Buffalo Wing

That's interesting. Erie County, from what I've heard, doesn't seem to have an issue with different residences. Supposedly you can even co-register with permit holders from other counties, so long as their counties allow it.

At least, that's what I was told at the class I took (over a year ago).
Old July 29, 2013, 05:35 PM   #27
mikejonestkd

Quote:
it's generally not recommended (or allowed, depending on circumstances) to have a gun on multiple permits UNLESS you are living under the same roof.
I have family spread out all over western NY, and have most of my handguns listed on their permits, we've never had a clerk even question the county of residence. The most they have done is verify identities and relationship.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:15 AM   #28
Musketeer

Suffolk County NY will NOT list a handgun on two permits. There were two many issues of them being sucked into divorce proceedings when couples split up and fought over who owned the gun.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old July 31, 2013, 01:34 PM   #29
GJSchulze

Quote:
There were two many issues of them being sucked into divorce proceedings when couples split up and fought over who owned the gun
Right, because this doesn't happen to any other property. And Suffolk County is special in having this problem, unlike all the counties north of it that don't have a problem.

Apparently they have never heard of the receipt or the NICs check that make it quite clear who bought the gun.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:27 PM   #30
Erikbal

Re: Putting my guns on brother's and dad's permits, good idea?

When I purchase a new gun the dealer does a NICS check, then gives me some paperwork I take with me on the half hour trip to the county sheriff's office. They put it on my permit ($3 fee) then I can go and pick up the gun.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:37 AM   #31
bird_dog

Quote:
Right, because this doesn't happen to any other property. And Suffolk County is special in having this problem, unlike all the counties north of it that don't have a problem.
Actually, that's how I know about it and why I posted.

My ex and I didn't have any arguments over who was getting which gun, BUT the permit office insisted that we not keep them on each other's permit while residing at different addresses. Our plan was to keep them on both permits, so they might be passed on to our daughters without a hassle.

The permit office, polite though they were, thought otherwise.

As I said before, just call and ask. This is a great forum, but it's only a forum. Ask the people tasked with enforcing the laws in your area. You might be surprised.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:56 PM   #32
GJSchulze

Bird_dog, what county are you in?
I have no idea if any counties allow them on the same permit if the addresses are different; it has never come up. From their viewpoint, I can understand why they wouldn't like it.
Old August 2, 2013, 06:27 AM   #33
bird_dog

Niagara County -- nothing but good things to say about the Permit Office here. Just relaying a personal experience.
Old August 2, 2013, 02:10 PM   #34
GJSchulze

Quote:
nothing but good things to say about the Permit Office here
I think that's pretty much true in all of Western NY and Southern Tier. No one likes the NY laws, but it's no where near as bad as it is downstate. I wish people wouldn't confuse us with UBB - United Boroughs of Bloomberg.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:19 AM   #35
bird_dog

I couldn't agree more GJS.

I've hunted a lot in northern Maine over the years, and when I'm asked where I'm from I always get some version of "so, how are things in the big city, anyway?" If they knew the small farm town where I was born, raised, and to which I've returned, they would laugh.

To some people, however, NY is NY.
Old August 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #36
GJSchulze

I've been asked if I worked in NYC, even though the person knew I lived in Rochester, which is seven hours away. Apparently the rest of the state is one big parking lot for NYC. I'm sure it would floor them to know that Dairy is one of the biggest industries on NY State.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Levant

And manure is a close second.